An intense frustration.

8 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Money is definitely part of the equation.  And what prevented any other corps from building a solid business model and organization as the Blue Devils have to bring in their funding?  

Absolutely nothing, so don't hate, imitate. 

Don’t hate.

Innovate!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Drum Corps Is Now a Bust said:

Yes, you could say the same about Hollywood movies. What's your point? Trust me, more people go to see bad movies than they go to see DCI shows. Hollywood is about money. They produce product to make money. How is DCI any different in this basic similarity?  

For one thing, Hollywood isn’t a youth organization. Or a non-profit. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Money is definitely part of the equation.  And what prevented any other corps from building a solid business model and organization as the Blue Devils have to bring in their funding?  

Absolutely nothing, so don't hate, imitate. 

Thank you for proving my point. If you have the money, you should win. If you don't and can't make the money as another organization, just suck it up. This isn't hating. This the culture DCI has created. You say "part." How much part???

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

For one thing, Hollywood isn’t a youth organization. Or a non-profit. 

Please....the goals are the same. Don't split hairs like this. Hollywood doesn't get sympathy because it is honest in its goal of pursuing money, but DCI should because they mask their desire for more money??? I'm not seeing the logic in this statement.

3 minutes ago, Drum Corps Is Now a Bust said:

Please....the goals are the same. Don't split hairs like this. Hollywood doesn't get sympathy because it is honest in its goal of pursuing money, but DCI should because they mask their desire for more money??? I'm not seeing the logic in this statement.

I don’t care who wins.  I paid my $700 for the two of us, flew here, and why I’m even torturing myself on this website  just shows me that I must have some deep-seated masochistic tendencies.
Make all the money they want. I don’t care. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Drum Corps Is Now a Bust said:

You can say I'm wrong all day, it doesn't mean I am. Does every person in DCI follow the money? Nope. Do most? Yes and would for the "right" opportunity. And you again did not address the substance of my last critique. Pursuing championships as a means to an end using money to do it is empty and shallow. If this is what competition is or is supposed to be, then count me out.

In an earlier post, you suggested that DCI shouldn't be "for profit" because the activity shouldn't be about pursuing the money. Yet, you seem to have no problem suggesting that the pursuit of championships as a means to an end using ridiculous amounts of money is just fine. I find this perspective seemingly contradictory

You are saying things I did not say.

The pursuit of excellence in any activity requires resources. PERIOD.

It is literally impossible to succeed in any competitive venture without resources.

I currently work for a very well known technology company. I work alongside hundreds of very talented and very well paid people. Very few of these people would be at this company if they had no opportunity to succeed in their craft. The fact that they are paid well doesn’t mean they aren’t altruistic about their creative craft. In fact the two almost always go together. 

You and I are never going to agree so we should just agree to move on. Bottom line is, your idea of how DCI should run would lead to the end of the activity in about a year. So I choose the model that is working.

This activity isn’t really about winning championships, it’s about creating great leaders thru experiences of team work, hard work, overcoming life’s obstacles, and achievement. Look past the score sheets, and observe Retreat, that’s where true character is truly visible, that’s where you find your true champions !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2