The Best "Other" Awards - Your Top 3

Best Opener: Phantom, from the DM hair flip to the end of the trumpet fanfare, just a beautiful opener! At every show you go too, once you hear this, it’s basically a “#### just got real” moment for those in the stands!

Best Ballad: Gonna go with BD here

Best Closer: Phantom too, why not?

Loudest: SCV, considerably so imo(although I never saw BD maybe they were lol)

Best Soloist: Any of the baritone soloists, y’all were awesome!!

Best Snare line: not gonna act like my opinion has any merit here, not gonna answer this one😂 my fanboy side though would pick SCV though haha

Best Uniform: was tough, ‘cause there were quite a few “mehs” and a few uglies too, BD’s uniform is pretty standard for them, and they usually are really nice, they’re a candidate, phantom is up there, many are also saying troopers…hmmm….I’ll go with TROOPERS! Phantom and BD are close seconds✌️

Edited by Vidal28Rdg

On 8/13/2022 at 8:07 AM, wvu80 said:

This is not a poll, just our opinions with some commentary to back up your choice.  Comment on one category or all.  Feel free to add "other" awards I missed.

+++

Best Opener:

Best Closer:

Loudest:

Best Soloist:

Best Snare line:

Best Uniform:

+++

Best Opener: Blue Devils. Smooth(ish) mellophone solo into a very loud hit!

Best Closer: Crown. Who doesn't love a Crown Set?

Loudest: Vanguard had my ears ringing after they performed in San Antonio

Best Soloist: Crown Trumpet ballad. He just played so smooth and relaxed, very similar to the 2019 Gabriel's Oboe solo!

Best Snare Line: Vanguard. No questions asked.

Best Uniforms: Troopers by a country mile! worked extremely well with the theme and they also had the best color design!

Best two ballads: Theme from To kill a Mockingbird(Cadets) and Moon River(BD)..imho

12 hours ago, corps8294 said:

Best use of the entire football field: Blue Stars

Absolutely and multiple times during the show  they  spread the entire length of the field 😁

• Like 1

14 hours ago, corps8294 said:

Best use of the entire football field: Blue Stars

They did spread the field well . For equal good field coverage I might put the Cadets this season up there too . They had more more reach the end zone this summer than the NY Jets have in the last 25 years 😃

• Like 1

Best ovation response: Phantom's DM, who at finals after they finished turned to the audience, bowed, looked up, and said (if I read lips correctly), "Thank you. SUTA."

Second-best ovation response: keytar kid's various hypes after his (first) solo. Mostly variations on "LET'S GOOOOOOOO."

Troopers uniforms: Yes!  I’m so glad people are mentioning this. Best uniforms by far. Bad###, dark, fit the show, everyone looked good in them… I want one.

Best ending: Crown and Troopers

Best ballads: BD, BAC, Crown

Crowd response: Troopers, Colts, Phantom, Crown, Bloo (Boston: the audience was too busy holding their breath for the 900 consecutive rifle tosses)

Favorite soloist: BD’s Carnival in Venice. Total earworm.  All summer she nailed it except for the same one note… until finals weekend when it was spotless. Tough solo. Gutsy performer. There were many great soloists this year… this one just stands out for me because of her grit and persistence.

Best body move: SCV when everyone did a dive somersault. Honorable mentions to Bloo brass’s entrance with all the leg moves, and Boston’s left field low brass crawl dance toward the 50 at the end of Snake. 

Best props: BD. Simple concept, always looks good. Versatile and well used. 

Best performance energy: Bloo’s keytarist added a lot without taking anything away from the other musicians