Carolina Crown 2023

10 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Not so sure. I might go with D) Replacement staff is not as good as the prior staff. That is my take. You are what your numbers say you are. Admittedly, I am a huge Hannum fan. Crown did him dirty. Travis and Team are doing great with Cadets, Hannum is doing great with Boston. But this was NOT the step forward everyone promoted it to be. Really a shame and it will cost them in the end. 

Not gonna drag things up.  But they didn't "do him dirty" at all.  Travis?  Well -- yeah that sucked.  OTOH caption heads bringing in their own techs is a long standing thing in drum corps (esp. percussion).  

I don't know how the new percussion team will play out.  Kids are very young.   I'm still very hopeful they're gonna get it together by the end of the season.   I like the writing and musicality.  I especially like the whole sound design I'm hearing.

I will say this.  These guys left BK and started Broken City.  And the results speak for themselves.  So they're doing something right!

Will it propel them to the top?  Only time will tell.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Grandpa Joe said:

Then please, pray tell, why didn't Hannum, Travis, etc. do so well at Crown then? Crown doesn't attract percussion players well. They're trying to fix that. If the prior team couldn't get the job done, then it's time to hire someone new. That's what happened.

Last I checked they won a championship with Hannum et al (should have been two IMHO). For 2023 the results speak for themselves. Not sure the show design helps percussion either. This was not a step forward. This is a step backward. Not all indoor percussion designers translate well to the big stadium. 

• Like 1

Bad nights are bad nights but blaming the long break is insincere

during the long break I read about how this was incredible for Crown since they had so much time to clean and add

after the break I read about how this was awful for Crown since they lost momentum and got out of their groove

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Grandpa Joe said:

But Karuna, where's the fun in that? Lol.

The fun, good sir, is not reading a bunch of petty bickering on DCP.   There's enough "legit" bickering going on here that we don't need to add to it!  <steps off soapbox>

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, karuna said:

they didn't "do him dirty" at all. 

Yea... they did. Twice. First when they "Thought" they had grabbed Tom Aungst from Cadets only to have him back out and then had to go to Hannum to beg him to come back after that debacle. And then last fall they made the percussion changes and DID NOT consult with Thom but listed him on the staff... again without consulting him. That classifies as doing him dirty. On your other points... like you said... time will tell. I do hope they get it together. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MusicManNJ said:

Last I checked they won a championship with Hannum et al (should have been two IMHO). For 2023 the results speak for themselves. Not sure the show design helps percussion either. This was not a step forward. This is a step backward. Not all indoor percussion designers translate well to the big stadium. 

They won "in spite of" their percussion scoring WAY below the rest of the captions.   I think you're forgetting a lot of important details.

• Like 2

Being objective, it will take at least a season or two before Crown starts to see the results of changing up the percussion staff

they did not come directly from another corps so they’re not bringing a large group of members with them. I’m sure some kids from Broken City are now at Crown but many of them go elsewhere

I am a huge fan of Mike Jackson’s writing and I have faith that, given time, the Crown percussion section will truly shine but it will take time to gel with a corps that has had similar percussion writing for quite a few years

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Big Bird said:

Bad nights are bad nights but blaming the long break is insincere

during the long break I read about how this was incredible for Crown since they had so much time to clean and add

after the break I read about how this was awful for Crown since they lost momentum and got out of their groove

Well they DID clean a lot in most captions (look at that guard score)  but apparently had a bad run in percussion.   I'm just speculating but very young sections often do better when they have regular performances.  Is that what happened?  Who knows? It's just speculation on DCP.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Big Bird said:

Being objective, it will take at least a season or two before Crown starts to see the results of changing up the percussion staff

they did not come directly from another corps so they’re not bringing a large group of members with them. I’m sure some kids from Broken City are now at Crown but many of them go elsewhere

I am a huge fan of Mike Jackson’s writing and I have faith that, given time, the Crown percussion section will truly shine but it will take time to gel with a corps that has had similar percussion writing for quite a few years

A lot of younger kids from Broken came to Crown  (I'm sure the older members already had spots elsewhere) and some kids from Avon HS. 

We'll see how long it takes.  A season of drum corps can bring AMAZING changes to performers who can handle the pressure.  

• Like 1

Although I expressed my frustration with the percussion scoring I'm definitely willing to give this staff more than a single year to build a competitive section. It's not like they shipped over the Rennicks, things like this are always going to take time to build. Just look at the colorguard changes since losing the prior staff to Boston. There are other facets of Crowns staff that have had a good while to build success and still aren't showing signs of improvement... but I'm gonna let the rest of the season play out.

• Like 2