Phantom Regiment 2023

20 hours ago, DudleytheWest said:

I honestly think it's silly. Same with corps not announcing their repertoires before the season. It's such a small activity with such a small following I am not sure why it's such a big deal to keep things secret.   

I think corps use announcements about shows and repertoire as they see fit and that’s fine. In an age with instant internet access and social media being such a part of our lives, having to wait may be bothersome, but some corps keeping shows under wraps and other making announcements is not new. I can remember coming home from school during the off season and being excited when “Drum Corps News” or “Drum Corps World” arrived. Some corps made announcements of what their show would include musically, for others it was top secret. In both cases they wanted to create excitement for the upcoming summer. Corps that announced shows created anticipation, corps that didn’t created intrigue. Either way it’s define with me. 

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, hostrauser said:

Baloney. That was true 15-20 years ago, when obtaining all of the mandatory rights and coordination licenses was still a fairly new industry, but not anymore  

As someone who publishes worship music arrangements used by hundreds of churches each week, I can assure you that obtaining rights to perform many varied and often times very derivative versions of copyrighted music is at times a quick and easy process, and, at other times, a time-consuming, arduous exercise in frustration. Depending on who wrote the music, whether there was more than one composer, and the publisher, I have had some arrangements I have honestly just given up on getting rights. The publishing industry is convoluted and unnecessarily difficult to navigate, often costing the artists revenue in royalties. Even the simplest rights to obtain usually take about 3 months, and that’s with a publisher with which I have a long-standing relationship, and can just send in the name of the work I have arranged and add it to my royalties calculation for the quarter. 

Edited by PRomoter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, karuna said:

The reasoning which is usually offered revolves around having your concept demolished online before it's ever seen by a judge.  This is silly because if armchair critics can ruin your chances,  maybe you should have done a better job designing your product.  

The second reason usually involves creating excitement at the first public performance.  While this may have been true when printed media was the method typical fans learned of shows, it's certainly not hard today to search social media and find plenty of leaks.   In fact even in the days of printed media,  cassette tapes were copied and passed everywhere.  

I think it's mostly because corps administrations like to imagine they are the holders of the secret knowledge.  Again -- silly -- but...well...

Argh, why did you have to bring Joseph II into this? 🙂I am a huge classical fan and and avid history buff. Amadeus turned a genius into a buffoon (Mozart), maligned a composer that was actually great in his own right (Salieri) and turned one of the most enlightened monarchs in history (Joseph II) into a bumbling idiot. 

Edited by DudleytheWest

1 hour ago, PRomoter said:

The folks in Evansville are the best!

• Like 1

On 6/12/2023 at 11:28 PM, kdaddy said:

That Cavies discussion was great. That's how you provide depth to a show design.

Sorta.  The show needs to be able to stand on it's own merits.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So, any word from Evansville?  I’m a bit jealous that I couldn’t hop in the car and go watch the co-concert.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sutasaurus said:

So, any word from Evansville?  I’m a bit jealous that I couldn’t hop in the car and go watch the co-concert.

I'm sold. It's definitely a Phantom Regiment show. I can't wait to see what this corps can do with this show this year. Dress rehearsal on Sunday is going to be 🔥🔥🔥!

• Thanks 4

Tonight is Concert in the Park. Should be able to hear the show within hours after they finish. Starts at 7 PM. 

• Like 4