Phantom Regiment 2023

I’ve heard some stuff recently and I gotta say, I think they’re ahead of schedule when it comes to brass. I’m going to say right now that the brass is a top-six hornline. Just a huge step up from last year. They’re playing arrangements that are just as difficult as the trophy contending corps while still retaining that flow and musicality that defines Phantom. A lot of playing, a lot of notes, and a lot of heart.

The big questions for me are visual and percussion. I mean, I really like the visual package they’ve put together, but there’s some pressing questions about where they’ll be in August. Any time you completely change marching techniques there’s a lot of uncertainty about how a corps will learn and improve on it as the season goes on. Good news is that they’re already doing pretty decently from what I understand. Also doesn’t hurt that the new visual staff are basically the authorities on teaching and cleaning bent leg. The Estudillo drill will be impactful (as usual) and I also like the utilization of props (think SCV) in this show.

Percussion will be good too, but again there’s a lot of uncertainty when changing staffs (especially to a younger generation). I like the sound design though and what they’ve come up with for this show pairs very well with the brass arrangement. Again, it’s just a question of their potential and ability to reach it. They’re a talented staff and have a demonstrated track record. They’ll put it together. Once they hit their stride in the next few years, I think their youth and innovation will be a really big draw for Phantom.

TLDR: Phantom is well-positioned to continue rising up the ranks. If they can put it all together, I like their chances of challenging for the top like we haven’t seen since the early 2010s. Either way, I think this will be a special, breakout year for Phantom that us phans will love. Excited for Concert in the Park tonight!

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, college-phan said:

I’ve heard some stuff recently and I gotta say, I think they’re ahead of schedule when it comes to brass. I’m going to say right now that the brass is a top-six hornline. Just a huge step up from last year. They’re playing arrangements that are just as difficult as the trophy contending corps while still retaining that flow and musicality that defines Phantom. A lot of playing, a lot of notes, and a lot of heart.

The big questions for me are visual and percussion. I mean, I really like the visual package they’ve put together, but there’s some pressing questions about where they’ll be in August. Any time you completely change marching techniques there’s a lot of uncertainty about how a corps will learn and improve on it as the season goes on. Good news is that they’re already doing pretty decently from what I understand. Also doesn’t hurt that the new visual staff are basically the authorities on teaching and cleaning bent leg. The Estudillo drill will be impactful (as usual) and I also like the utilization of props (think SCV) in this show.

Percussion will be good too, but again there’s a lot of uncertainty when changing staffs (especially to a younger generation). I like the sound design though and what they’ve come up with for this show pairs very well with the brass arrangement. Again, it’s just a question of their potential and ability to reach it. They’re a talented staff and have a demonstrated track record. They’ll put it together. Once they hit their stride in the next few years, I think their youth and innovation will be a really big draw for Phantom.

TLDR: Phantom is well-positioned to continue rising up the ranks. If they can put it all together, I like their chances of challenging for the top like we haven’t seen since the early 2010s. Either way, I think this will be a special, breakout year for Phantom that us phans will love. Excited for Concert in the Park tonight!

Most of this is great to hear, except for the bent leg. Ugh! I was hoping they wouldn't change to it. I just find it so aesthetically unappealing. The straight leg technique was a thing of beauty when it was done well, as Phantom, Cadets and BD are known for doing. 

4 minutes ago, old drmmjr said:

Most of this is great to hear, except for the bent leg. Ugh! I was hoping they wouldn't change to it. I just find it so aesthetically unappealing. The straight leg technique was a thing of beauty when it was done well, as Phantom, Cadets and BD are known for doing. 

Agreed! I guess it’s the price of progress, sadly. I think straight-leg has had a limiting impact on the visual scores for the past couple of years, if I’m to be honest. Just wasn’t getting the technique clean enough to boost scores, the impact of which was only exacerbated by the white uniforms. Bent leg should go well with white though and be easier to clean (or at least make somewhat uniform). Time will tell!

33 minutes ago, old drmmjr said:

They got dinged by the judges for symptoms of straight leg technique all the time when I was volunteering with them a few years back. Stuff like their plumes bouncing around when they were taking longer strides. I agree it is a lot prettier, but I think it cost them a lot of points along the way. 

1 hour ago, college-phan said:

I'm a little worried about props only from the stills that I saw, but I think Estudillo is the real deal.

1 hour ago, college-phan said:

A percussion buddy watched them warm up last year, and he mentioned how hard they were drumming and that he "felt sorry for the kids" because they're probably in pain from drumming so unnecessarily hard. He thought out loud why any kids would return to the corps in 2023 to go through that again. To me, even if the new regime is young, the students will have a better time, and that matters the most.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I'm a little worried about props only from the stills that I saw, but I think Estudillo is the real deal.

set-of-the-airplane-propellers-design-el

Here ya go....

• Haha 4

Only a couple of hours until the concert. WooHoo!

Hi Rockford, wish I was there.

Edited by Sutasaurus

21 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

You used to be able to find it on Periscope - is that app still around? Otherwise, someone posts it to youtube within hours. 

Periscope HD is still available in Apple’s App Store, who uses it is another question.