Phantom Regiment 2023

Hopefully prop boy is happy this year.

1 hour ago, RebelGTP said:

I know I jumped on saying that this show is definitely Phantom early on when I saw it in Evansville, but I sort of stood back and waited for people to get the same realization. So happy to be not disappointed because people are seeing what I saw.

The electricity in the stadium was quite overwhelming last night!

I wish I loved the music as much as the last two years, but I realize I am getting older and it’s time for a younger generation of fans to support what they are doing. It’s healthy for my generation to step back and allow for a new perspective. All I care about is whether these new members have a fantastic experience and are set up for a positive perspective in life of giving your all and working together toward a common goal and purpose. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, PRomoter said:

I wish I loved the music as much as the last two years, but I realize I am getting older and it’s time for a younger generation of fans to support what they are doing. It’s healthy for my generation to step back and allow for a new perspective. All I care about is whether these new members have a fantastic experience and are set up for a positive perspective in life of giving your all and working together toward a common goal and purpose. 

I understand what you’re saying about passing the baton. Same with a lot of other things in life. Time to hand over the reigns to a new generation. I hold a lot of hope for these young men and women regardless of which corps they march. They are our future and it’s their time to shine!

I actually love the music they chose for this years show. It’s exciting and energetic and holds my attention more so than 2017-2019 and it works well with the new and improved visual package. Let’s see what the finished product will be in August. My bet is they will have butts out of the seats throughout a good portion of their show.

Your last sentence sums up the season beautifully. It’s all about the member experience….and if they walk away from this season with life skills that help them succeed later in life, drum corps has done it’s job.

• Like 5

I finally got to watch the show a few times and my initial thoughts:

1. Overall the best package they’ve put out right out of the gate in a long long time 

2. Percussion sounded the strongest it’s been in a while. Not really a percussion guy but the book is balanced really well with the horns and they sound cleaner out the gate than usual

3. The visual is a bit Jekyll and Hyde for me. The uniforms look really good from afar and not very good at all up close (just my opinion). The show itself is surprisingly clean for this early into the season so huge kudos to them for that but I really hope they plan on adding more complexity to it. This corps hasn’t really ever seemed to use props well and I see that pattern continues this year, unfortunately. I do like the way they keep staging the hornline around the front ensemble though, that’s a really fantastic way to get the audience engaged and based on the response they got, it really worked well

4. The hornline sounds GOOD. Some intonation issues here and there but it’s June. What matters more to me is that the sonority of the sound and they have that in spades this year already, which is really refreshing from the Will Pitts days of them going way too conservative early on in the season. The book from the ballad to the end has completely sold me, the ballad in particular is GORGEOUS and brings me back to the 2000s. Did that opening chord progression leading into the first hit remind anyone else of 2007 Phantom by the way? I’m not too sold on the first half of the show music wise yet, it sounds a little bit too SCV JD Shaw rather than Phantom JD Shaw. 

All in all a really exciting product they’ve put out so early on and will undoubtedly go into my signature by the end of the season, excited for Phantom!

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

The hornline sounds GOOD. Some intonation issues here and there but it’s June. What matters more to me is that the sonority of the sound and they have that in spades this year already, which is really refreshing from the Will Pitts days of them going way too conservative early on in the season.

I already mentioned earlier that I had to turn down my sound system after the first impact from the volume level I had it at prior to Regiment. The volume they’ve been putting out the last two seasons is incredible. 

Edited by PRomoter
  • Like 3

By the way, I remember 2013-2019 that all of us in this chat would have killed for what we are experiencing today. My goodness it’s nice to be rooting for a Phantom hitting on all cylinders. There were some years I was pretty sure they were done for. Every time I come back to see updates on the forum and the posts are so positive it just makes me smile. 😁

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I’m not too sold on the first half of the show music wise yet, it sounds a little bit too SCV JD Shaw rather than Phantom JD Shaw. 

The big trombone tune is by Oliver Waespi, who wrote the 2019 SCV tune featuring the trombone. So major SCV energy.

• Like 2

Tonight’s show will be a great chance for Regiment to gain cred. Their first outing showed they’re prepared. It’s now time to build your confidence!

Keep pushing forward!

SUTA

• Like 3

After seeing all the shows tonight, I’ve gotta say Phantom has by far the best pacing of any of the corps I’ve seen. No offense at all to the other corps, but everything with Exogenesis just feels right, like a well produced movie. Good on the staff for putting together something that is both competitive and digestible!

• Like 3