Phantom Regiment 2023

2 minutes ago, regimentlvr said:

I think it’s going to be razor close based on current progressions and gaps 

It very well could be, but there’s something to be said for same night performances. They don’t judge in a vacuum (sadly).

2 hours ago, regimentlvr said:

How would everyone feel if PR finishes 7th? I’d really be disappointed after the new direction to only finish 1 spot ahead of last year. Sadly, it seems to be a strong possibility at this point. 

I would be fine with it. I truly believe that it's as likely to be 5th as it is 7th. As has been stated, it's going to be VERY close. A complete change in corps product doesn't happen in a season typically. Look at Bloo, BD, BAC (to a lesser extent.) They revolutionized what is now the standard in design. But they didn't do it in one year. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sensioto said:

I just know a kick-out is coming for that ending chord! I am SO sad that I do not get to see them at NightBEAT and would have to travel to West Virginia just to catch Regiment this season. They have not been in Winston-Salem since 2018.

IMO, they should NOT do the kick-out as that signals, 'well, we have to do something to push up our score, even if it totally doesn't fit with the theme'.

This show is as close to playing the game as they have ever been in the last decade. Let's not try to infuse a gimmick that in all reality, will not do anything to improve their score. 

Flame away!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, DrumManTx said:

No different.  Would be their highest finish since 2015 with a show that is modern and progressive but still Phantom Regiment and has me more optimistic about their future than I been have in a long time.  It’s created a buzz and excitement I haven’t felt around them in awhile.  

And even if they end up 7th, I have a feeling it would be after a battle for 5th with an AWESOME Mandarins show and a very talented Cadets instead of 8th - 10th last year and a few years falling down the order pre covid.  

I completely agree.  And I don't think they will actually finish 7th. I was in Denton and they were ON FIRE.  The crowd reaction seemed to dwarf anyone else last night, and especially for those around me.  My actual crew were a mix of DCI vets and newbies and the vets are not Phantom plans often, and they were all going crazy for them.  They all said, man, I want to see that Phantom show again.

Personally, I shed a few tears just feeling that performance live and feeling like they are fully "back", still them and vibrantly modern.  The prop use is phenomenal (as - as much as I can't believe I'm saying this - are the tarps), the guard is a leap forward, and the drum scores are improving.  To get a 3 point jump (roughly) from their last show is no small thing as I think judges in the "know your territory world" are compensating to get them back into the territory they should be.  I do feel like they are really only about 2 points behind the 2-4 pack, not 3-4.  Nola's GE score didn't help, but I'm in no way worried about them NOT being heavily in the mix for 5th.  I'm over the moon happy & excited.  And jeez, the Rach ballad is becoming a sheer goosebump moment, classic Phantom and a seamless, great part of the show.

No one else came close to the intensity, passion, emotion & rich powerful sound Phantom delivered last night.  And one of my close friends who had a long guard career (performing, teaching, you name it) was blow away by how far Phantom's guard has come.  Some really stellar unison flag work last night.  Maybe they're a bit less visible on video, but they were very visible and adding a LOT to the show last night.  And I was encouraged to see the percussion gap with 3 ahead of them close considerably.  

Lastly, I'll say this, Phantom's show felt like it flew by in 5 minutes.  Crown, BC & Bloo all have continuity issues in their shows, places where shows drag, and for Bloo it felt like that show took forever...  No, I'm not saying they can threaten any of those 3 unless a considerable amount of extra demand can be squeezed in AND cleaned, but this show still has a lot of legs, and in many captions healthy gaps between content and execution that leave me encouraged about their chances to compete for 5th-6th and get one of those 2 placements.  And frankly even IF they got 7th, this season is a smashing success, full of momentum.

Everyone in or supporting the organization should be walking on clouds and super proud.  I know my own donation level is about to go up again.

Harvey

• Thanks 5

57 minutes ago, PRomoter said:

Too early to predict or assume placements

Agreed. I haven't looked at captions to see what the drum placement was either. 

55 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

IMO, they should NOT do the kick-out as that signals, 'well, we have to do something to push up our score, even if it totally doesn't fit with the theme'.

This show is as close to playing the game as they have ever been in the last decade. Let's not try to infuse a gimmick that in all reality, will not do anything to improve their score. 

Flame away!

I guess the Crown set is gimmicky? Cavies' diamond cutter? 

Not sure when it became wrong to pay homage to the corps' history. It certainly won't HURT scores, why not give the audience an additional reason to get on their feet? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Not sure when it became wrong to pay homage to the corps' history. It certainly won't HURT scores, why not give the audience an additional reason to get on their feet? 

Completely correct, Cappy. The kick out is like attaching their “logo” to the show. I don’t think there is currently any good spot to insert a chevron, but the ending is begging for a kick out, and you can be sure the staff knows it and knows the phans are expecting it. That’s why I think they’ll hold off until Allentown or even Indy to add it. It isn’t about scores or even the show theme. It’s just a pride thing that people absolutely love that joins old to new. 

Edited by PRomoter
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Because it's lame

• Confused 5
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

To me, yes. If you need to be reminded of the past, you are not fully appreciating the present. This is their time. Let them produce a 'moment' that they will want to see in subsequent shows (though, not endlessly).