Phantom Regiment 2023

1 hour ago, Rocketman said:

To me, yes. If you need to be reminded of the past, you are not fully appreciating the present. This is their time. Let them produce a 'moment' that they will want to see in subsequent shows (though, not endlessly).

Maybe stop seeing it as distracting it from the present and instead being a PART of the present. It is the corps putting their signature on the dotted line of the show 

Phantom thread = no fun allowed

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Maybe stop seeing it as distracting it from the present and instead being a PART of the present. It is the corps putting their signature on the dotted line of the show 

Phantom thread = no fun allowed

Look, I'm as traditionalist as anyone on here, but rehashing the old is not, IMO, putting 'their' signature on the show. If the members want to do it, fine. I just would prefer a re-write not be done to appease the Dino's (of which I am one).

We're just going to have to disagree on this.

1 minute ago, Rocketman said:

Look, I'm as traditionalist as anyone on here, but rehashing the old is not, IMO, putting 'their' signature on the show. If the members want to do it, fine. I just would prefer a re-write not be done to appease the Dino's (of which I am one).

We're just going to have to disagree on this.

I am far from a dino, I still have a few years before I hit my 30s. 

People like familiarity, they like something memorable that they can replay over and over in their head and look forward to each year. Identities are how you build a fanbase, the current four corps that seem to almost always place in the top 4 all have their own distinct identities and -isms that are familiar from year to year. The kick-out is just as much a part of Phantom's identity as much as the diamond cutter is a part of the Cavaliers identity and the Crown set is Carolina Crown's identity. And those moments are the moments that people look forward to EVERY YEAR. 

I cannot count the number of times I've been to a mid July show where the Crown set hasn't been implemented yet and everyone is wondering "where is the Crown?!" 

I am as excited as anyone else that Phantom is improving and modernizing. I am not sure why there appears to be an impression that if Phantom does an inoccuous but familiar body movement (something that modern DCI judges love, by the way), it will somehow set the corps back in any way whatsoever

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I am not sure why there appears to be an impression that if Phantom does an inoccuous but familiar body movement (something that modern DCI judges love, by the way), it will somehow set the corps back in any way whatsoever

What gives you the impression that judges love innocuous but familiar body movements?

For what it's worth, I'm not suggesting that it will impact their score either way. I just don't think there's any evidence that judges would "love" it.

I don't think it fits with this show. We've been reading for a month about how it needs to be added, and I truly don't get it. And we will in 2024 as well. It always seems slapped on instead of ending with a cool drill move. 

I'd argue with this show, it could've maybe been added before the ballad, with a transition into a squat or some other "alien" choreography.

6 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

What gives you the impression that judges love innocuous but familiar body movements?

For what it's worth, I'm not suggesting that it will impact their score either way. I just don't think there's any evidence that judges would "love" it.

I don't think it fits with this show. We've been reading for a month about how it needs to be added, and I truly don't get it. And we will in 2024 as well. It always seems slapped on instead of ending with a cool drill move. 

I'd argue with this show, it could've maybe been added before the ballad, with a transition into a squat or some other "alien" choreography.

I'm suggesting that it WON'T impact the score either way so, with that in mind, why re-write part of the show (rather than just cleaning what you have which will impact the score) just to add something that, more than likely, will not be the difference between 5th and 6th.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

That was more of a jab at the judges more than anything else, but fell flat. 

It would be nice with it. It’s be nice without it. It won’t make a difference in their score. Some people will love it. Some will not recognize it as anything special. Does that just about cover it?

1 hour ago, Rocketman said:

I'm suggesting that it WON'T impact the score either way so, with that in mind, why re-write part of the show (rather than just cleaning what you have which will impact the score) just to add something that, more than likely, will not be the difference between 5th and 6th.

So what new move do you think will give them a bump in scoring? Asking for a FMM.

1 minute ago, Sutasaurus said:

So what new move do you think will give them a bump in scoring? Asking for a FMM.

An “Alien Crab Step”?

I turned 50 last month and just found out that I’m going to be a grandfather, so I think that officially makes me a Dino now. How do I apply for my card?

• Haha 3