Phantom Regiment 2023

26 minutes ago, regimentlvr said:

I think tonight’s run can beat the mandarins. I am sitting on the 40 and the mandarins felt flat in comparison. Phantom sounded amazing tonight. Wow 

I tend to agree.  PR was sharp beginning to end.  Great energy.

Mandarins started out flat.  To their credit though, it got better as it went along. 

Never know how the judges will see things, but definitely felt like PR was at least a couple of tenths above Cadets and Mandarins tonight.  Guess we'll see.

3 hours ago, PRomoter said:

Waiting to see warmup in the park. Saw Mandarins and sitting by Cadets, but no Phantom??? Is there a new area?

Prelims warm-ups were supposed to be in the Indiana Convention Center due to the rain yesterday/last night. DCI wanted to ensure safety (mud possible) as well as the possibility of Military Park drying out for Semis and beyond.

9 minutes ago, RebelGTP said:

Prelims warm-ups were supposed to be in the Indiana Convention Center due to the rain yesterday/last night. DCI wanted to ensure safety (mud possible) as well as the possibility of Military Park drying out for Semis and beyond.

Weird. It was dry, green, cool and perfect. Best time I’ve ever been there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phantom1701 said:

I tend to agree.  PR was sharp beginning to end.  Great energy.

Mandarins started out flat.  To their credit though, it got better as it went along. 

Never know how the judges will see things, but definitely felt like PR was at least a couple of tenths above Cadets and Mandarins tonight.  Guess we'll see.

I hope this doesn't upset anyone. I am huge Regiment fan and these are just my thoughts.

I liked Regiment better than Mandarins. I only put them above Regiment because I knew the judges would.

Cadets, to me, are easily the 5th best corps of the season. I am surprised both Regiment and Mandarins were as close as they were.

Regiment has such a fantastic show this year. Next year, the design staff will have to add more complexity for them to compete for 5th place, but I'm sure this is part of the plan.

In early season 2014, I messaged Jim Mason on Facebook. I was in a huge listening and watching Star phase. I am convinced I am the biggest Star fan in the world. My message to him was basically me just gushing over Star like some school girl fool. I also told him I marched Madison in the mid-to late-80s. To my surprise, he wrote back thanking me and asking me what I thought of Madison's show. I would have never said this to his face (I'm a chicken like that) but I said I felt like they were doing at Madison what they did at Star in '88 and '89 - writing shows that were beneath the talent of the members and therefore allowing other corps to pass them up late season. That happend to Madison in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. I couldn't believe his response. Not only was he incredibly kind, but wrote out a lenghty response about what he felt needed to be done to move a corps up the ranks. It made me have so much more respect for him, and I learned from him. I wish I had saved it.

That is EXACTLY what the staff and Regiment is doing. This is how you breed future success. You can't just go in guns blazing and write a show that is complex and demanding enough to challenge for the title or 5th place when you just placed 12th two seasons ago. You have to slowly work you way up. I thought from the beginning of the season they were going to get passed up by a few corps. But, the right pieces seem to in place at Regiment. That is what's important. They put forth one of the best designs in the activity this year, and one hell of an entertaining show. It is one of my favorites of the year. It's just not as complex or demanding as the shows around them. This is just the beginning. If the staff keeps doing a job like this, we are all going to be thrilled in years to come. Regiment is back!

Although I hated losing to Regiment more than anything when I marched, I have always loved them. Mainly, because I'm a huge classical music buff. Vanguard and Regiment are definitely the two corps whose shows I watch and listen to the most, even more than Madison.

SUTA! (even though I have no idea what it means).

Edited by Vuitton
  • Like 5

I agree with your assessment... I've looked at this year as a huge step for Phantom with the firm foundation they've built.  My only complaint is the field towers...I've felt from day one that they could have added colorful coverings.  Seems like a missed opportunity.  I also think there are too many body movements for my taste, I would prefer a clean and difficult drill that shows off their marching precision. Something similar to the past Cadets or Cavaliers championship shows.

Hope to see that in next year's show design.  Something powerful, beautiful, and technical! Please the fans and move up in the ranks!

The kids and staff have done an outstanding job!

Edited by Phantombari1

1 hour ago, Vuitton said:

Regiment has such a fantastic show this year. Next year, the design staff will have to add more complexity for them to compete for 5th place, but I'm sure this is part of the plan.

I agree. This corps had horses early, but it's settling in probably where it needs to. I'd like to see them in 6th behind Cadets, but either way.

I'm noticing the Regiment guard more than I have in years. Keep this guard and corps-eography staff.

JD Shaw came to Regiment in 02, and Rennick in 03. But they didn't sound like their corps until 05. The current designers will get there.

• Like 3

Proud of Regiment this year.  Strong year for drum corps.  They can still move up but if they don't still an incredible year.  Congrats members and staff!

Honestly, I think they should pull the capes off the uniforms and do a full uniform run through to see if the visual cleans up.  I mean at this point why not look at it?

7 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Honestly, I think they should pull the capes off the uniforms and do a full uniform run through to see if the visual cleans up.  I mean at this point why not look at it?

I actually think that's a great idea. The capes aren't ADDING anything to the GE score so why not. I really feel like it's going to take a season to get the feet right as well. Even though I don't look for it (because lord KNOWS that I am NOT the one to judge dirty feet I'm DCI) I see some feet phasing. 

1 minute ago, Mello Dude said:

There might be some truth to this, but now that I’m checking out the score sheet a bit more thoroughly, I’m seeing that they finished fifth in visual proficiency! That’s gotta be a record for a Phantom over the past decade or so haha. It was visual analysis that really brought them, which I’m a bit eh about. More of a subjective judging sub-caption and Phantom’s been stronger there this season, so we could (imo should) see a jump up tonight with a new judge. GE 2 is another sub-caption I’d look to change with new judges.

The Music caption is ironically enough where a lot of the scoring problems lie for Phantom. I think they can push and get some more out of it with some new judges, but yeah. Personally, I don’t agree with Phantom getting 9th in brass content, but that’s just me. Music analysis imo should also be getting a bit more credit for its cohesiveness and ability to convey the concept. I like this upcoming panel of judges more than I did last night’s, so hopefully that’ll be reflected on the sheets for Phantom tonight and tomorrow.

• Like 1