Blue Devils in the Details 2023

On 7/2/2023 at 12:21 PM, Chief Guns said:

Seeing them live last night, they will absolutely challenge for the Sanford. 

Personally, I think it's BDs best battery since 2015. 

I'm no percussion pundit but the Age Outs (who are particularly hard on BD) made a prediction and even bet their hard earned cheddar: 

Edited by resipsaloquitur
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ashontheinternet said:

biggest visual gripe is guard, especially when spinning rifle. inconsistent toss heights, prepping at seemingly random times for said tosses, just strange. obviously im not in the bd guard so i cant say wether or not its intentional, but it looks pretty unappealing.

To me it's an intentional, visual portrayal of a chaotic period in Matisse's life. Remember, the end of the second movement is simulating the French resistance to the Nazi regime during WWII, a time of chaos in which Matisse created the piece, aptly titled "Jazz" (look it up), which recreates the despondency caused by several of his resistance family members captured, imprisoned, and tortured. Matisse, who had stayed in France, became gravely ill in 1941 and nearly died. Surgery saved his life but left him weak and with restricted mobility. It was during this period that he began to focus on a technique he called "drawing with scissors." This explains why the percussion feature is met with the backdrop of the war time speech of Charles de Gaulle who was France's head of state. The center snare is Matisse himself, doing a drill that has him spinning in and out in circular formation representing Matisse and his mind set during that period.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Yeah that felt intentional to me too.  And it will read more clearly over time as the tosses will be visual accents at times when there's no musical accents and such and the intentionality will stand out.  Nothing BD's guard does isn't designed to be that way.

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, theonlyfizzle said:

Blue Devils been getting A LOT of PRAISES for this show by many people who trashed it at first from the leaks. Now they are on board and claiming it to be one of BD best shows, among other things being said, and they are enjoying it. We normally mention the haters but i switching it up to talk about the the many non BD fans who are loving it and admitting how great this show is compare to their faves.

I'll drink to that also ....

81IooiWlXeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mbird139 said:

Changing your opinion after seeing a show multiple times is not “hating” .. I didn’t care much for the Bluecoats show last season upon first viewing but it ended up being one of my favorites. Same thing this year with them for me .. first viewing thought it was boring, but expecting once again after seeing them a few times to think differently.

Now, are there folks that want someone else to claim the gold on August 12th? Absolutely! .. but take that as a compliment 

Having sincere and meaningful opinions and criticism is not hate, i have them too. Once you know you weren't hating then this is not direct to you. I am talking about strait up hate and bias fans. they know themselves.

Cheers :beer:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NewArpege said:

For what it’s worth, I’m not a BD fan but I do enjoy this show and will probably like it more once I see a better video of it from higher angle.  I hope they use the colors to make a on-field painting at some point. 

Yeah.. I hope they do.

Cheers :beer:

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Absolutely. Most of the people who are very fair in their criticisms of BD have been praising BD this year. The ones who will dislike BD no matter what will always remain consistent, and I guess consistency is an admirable skill 🤭

Truth on all angles. Lmao

Cheers brother :beer:🍻

Edited by theonlyfizzle

17 minutes ago, Jim Alberty said:

I'll drink to that also ....

81IooiWlXeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I need to try this Lol...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, resipsaloquitur said:

To me it's an intentional, visual portrayal of a chaotic period in Matisse's life. Remember, the end of the second movement is simulating the French resistance to the Nazi regime during WWII, a time of chaos in which Matisse created the piece, aptly titled "Jazz" (look it up), which recreates the despondency caused by several of his resistance family members captured, imprisoned, and tortured. Matisse, who had stayed in France, became gravely ill in 1941 and nearly died. Surgery saved his life but left him weak and with restricted mobility. It was during this period that he began to focus on a technique he called "drawing with scissors." This explains why the percussion feature is met with the backdrop of the war time speech of Charles de Gaulle who was France's head of state. The center snare is Matisse himself, doing a drill that has him spinning in and out in circular formation representing Matisse and his mind set during that period.

I absolutely love your breakdowns and explanations of BDs shows. Freaking awesome!

Not to mention when the haters come trolling about not understanding BDs show and the other crap they regurgitate every year, it just shows that they CHOOSE to not understand what BD is trying to do, because they have a certain negative narrative to push about the Devils, and they will die on the hill defending it. 

It's like when BD puts up their "Inside BD 360" segments on YT which CLEARLY breaks down each part of the show and what they are trying to convey and accomplish...........then you have haters in the comments........."I don't understand BDs show, they will finish 4th" 

SMDH.

• Like 6