Blue Devils in the Details 2023

2 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

When is the last time ScoJo watered down a book? 2016 maybe??

I don't think it needs to be watered down. I think that's the Broken City fan in me coming out though. They've put out multiple lines where if they nail it, it will be heavily rewarded but if it isn't nailed down, it could hurt. I'm a big fan of high risk, high reward. Keep pushing Johnson, these kids will get there.

Edited by wilme861
  • Like 6

I'm taking my 7-year-old to watch the Saturday practice at Chattahoochee, so I'll be interested to see & hear what (if any) changes are made to ScoJo's line & book.

And I shall once again (as I have for the last two decades) renew my plea that BD cover Whipping Post. Because I cannot die a fulfilled BD fan without hearing a dozen contras belting out that opening bass line.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Deguello said:

I'm taking my 7-year-old to watch the Saturday practice at Chattahoochee, so I'll be interested to see & hear what (if any) changes are made to ScoJo's line & book.

And I shall once again (as I have for the last two decades) renew my plea that BD cover Whipping Post. Because I cannot die a fulfilled BD fan without hearing a dozen contras belting out that opening bass line.

I doubt your wish will be fulfilled anytime soon. BD seems to have made a conscious decision a while back to perform uplifting, upbeat, positive shows, and I don’t envision whipping post fitting into that scheme!  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Deguello said:

I've only ever heard of Chattahoochee in a song. You'll have to come back and tell us if you notice any changes to the show or book. But also, you'll have to tell us if it does get hotter than a hoochie choochie there. 

23 minutes ago, Rylan said:

I've only ever heard of Chattahoochee in a song. You'll have to come back and tell us if you notice any changes to the show or book. But also, you'll have to tell us if it does get hotter than a hoochie choochie there. 

I've been going up there every summer since 2006 & it is always hot. And definitely hotter than a hoochie coochie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, mboogey73 said:

Second show in a row where the percussion content score was fine with the achievement score lagging. I'll say it once again, curious to see if ScoJo breaks out the hose or rides it out. I'm obviously a complete homer, but I'm a firm believer that a few Sanford's have been left on the field the last few years because the book was outrageously difficult.

The last 2 shows tracks with what has probably been a rough week for the battery, so I figured it was that, not the difficulty of the book. They just need a little time to get their heads back in the game, IMO. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

The last 2 shows tracks with what has probably been a rough week for the battery, so I figured it was that, not the difficulty of the book. They just need a little time to get their heads back in the game, IMO. 

This. They’re human and are probably having a lot of conflicting emotions. I believe these next few days will provide some time to refocus. 

• Like 3

Blue Devils percussion is just fine right now. By any measure they are scoring well (top 3) and playing an incredible book. It's not a big deal at this time of the season if your achievement numbers are lower than the content. It just means as they clean they will be rewarded. By the way I continue to say this year in and out -- I Iove how Blue Devils use their pit. The writing and the styles and sounds they achieve are so musical and really provide their overall show a wonderful base. They really treat it like a jazz rhythm section and not so mallet heavy -- even though they do have lots of mallets and play them extremely well. But their ideas are much more varied. Some great musicians in that pit if you take the time to watch and listen to what they are doing. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 7

On 7/22/2023 at 11:54 AM, FLBuzcut said:

Very impressive, well-thought-out and expressed analysis! Thank you.

🙇 Designers select and shape elements in a show to build meaning and depth. That goes to clarity and intent. As the audience we can actively study or passively experience those elements which reveal to you a deeper message. The deeper the message, the more profound your enjoyment is. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Emotional conflict, plus the remaining members having to mostly relearn much of the visual show to adjust the spacing, etc. They will bounce back soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1