The Cavaliers 2023

Love these posts. Drum Corps is a very challenging activity. Hitting the wall is tough. So far my son has struggled with in grown toe nails getting trimmed twice, a concussion, heat exhaustion and allergies. He has been working through it and had his best run in Abilene. 

Things get better after the Texas swing!

Edited by Cavidad
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Don't let them let the scores get to them. They don't matter. They're not going to remember the scores in twenty years. They're going to remember that hey, they put a #### good show on the field that helped them bring Cavies and Cavie fans from all generations together. 

Totally agree - this is one of my *favorite* shows of the summer.  It's traditional and clever at the same time, with a crazy athletic corps and a drumline from Hades, and I appreciate the heck out of it.  I can guarantee I'm going to rewatch this one more often than I am some of the medallists.

Mike

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

It's important to help any member know the difference between hitting a wall that can't be overcome without strain and overtraining syndrome, and overcoming a wall that will make you stronger in the end. The Texas heat is worse than I've ever seen it, so what they're being asked to do cannot be overstated. It's possible that there are few Cavies corps (or any for that matter) that have historically been asked to work in this amount of heat for this long. None of us old dogs were ALSO dealing with climate change. Period. Not like this. When that's the case, the scoring system can be ###### for all I care. There's no way to quantify that kind of effort in such a system. And that's just talking heat. There are so many other factors that Cavies and other corps are dealing with right now that can't be quantified by a judge.

I welcome you to share what I've said. Again, it comes from every part of me that was trained by Randy Phillips. See if he can toss that name around with the elders, vets, and alum to see what their reaction is. 😉 He was colorguard perfection: strong, consistent, funny, and light-hearted. Yes, the experience will be invaluable so long as he and his friends aren't tearing their bodies apart doing it. If you or he start to witness or experience symptoms of overtraining, it's time to red flag that with the staff. Heat can make it worse. Rest is the only thing that heals it. And sometimes it's the designers that handed you a show that "can't win" and you just have to make due with what you have. Happens all the time. There's so much gold to be mined in those situations so long as you have a compassionate staff to help you do so.

I love the fact that they nixed the bells and whistles. That's what makes this show so very refreshing. And yes, they stick out a bit from their contemporaries, but I see that as a giant plus even when the system doesn't have a way of rewarding it. I've loved that about this show from the beginning. And ya know what? Most shows that go against the grain don't really begin to come together until after the Texas leg of tour anyway. They're still growing into this show and if they're mostly young, that simply takes more time. It also takes more time to do things the right way, which I've said before Cavies' actions are hinting at, to me at least. Other corps may be pushing their members too hard. That's no good at all.

Cavies '23 have a big fan in me and others who see the value of what they're doing. Don't let them let the scores get to them. They don't matter. They're not going to remember the scores in twenty years. They're going to remember that hey, they put a #### good show on the field that helped them bring Cavies and Cavie fans from all generations together. That's so so so much more important than a stupid number from a judge that's watched way too many drum corps shows in one day.

Hey duders: Don't give the judges that kind of power of your show. They don't deserve it. It's your show that you're doing for yourself and the ones who love you. Never forget that.

Thanks for that! He told me that the staff is being very careful about the heat, and they are keeping them inside for most of the day. I have to say that the staff seems to have definitely put the boys' well-being over competition for sure. Sure, not having the opportunity to run the show outside often will slow things down, but what you said is so important. It's about the experience and 20 years from now. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Totally agree - this is one of my *favorite* shows of the summer.  It's traditional and clever at the same time, with a crazy athletic corps and a drumline from Hades, and I appreciate the heck out of it.  I can guarantee I'm going to rewatch this one more often than I am some of the medallists.

Mike

Yeah, as a guy who first fell in love with drum corps watching SCV change pants in a tunnel in 1985 and The Cavaliers took us to The Planets, I grew to love so much classical music because drum corps played the greats... Pictures at an Exhibition, Appalachian Spring, New World Symphony, Firebird, Belshazzar's Feast, etc. Those days are gone, and I miss them. I love this show as well and find it much more enjoyable to listen to. I sang the Rutter Gloria in college. I sure wish they would just play good music again instead of this original stuff that is designed to just be difficult.

Edited by DCI Fan 9287928734
wording
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Cavidad said:

Love these posts. Drum Corps is a very challenging activity. Hitting the wall is tough. So far my son has struggled with in grown toe nails getting trimmed twice, a concussion, heat exhaustion and allergies. He has been working through it and had his best run in Abilene. 

I think I may have met your son at the Cedarburg, WI show! Is he the lead Tuba player?

Edited by DCI Fan 9287928734
addition

22 minutes ago, Cavidad said:

Your son can join the ingrown toenail legacy within drum corps then. I had them too. Knew an instructor (he sucked!) but who eventually had to have toenails removed because of his marching years. So yeah, your son's not alone here either. Sorry to hear about the concussion but it sounds like the staff takes those more seriously now. Hoping he's on the mend!

My own roster of injuries included ingrown toenails, blackout from low sugar, broken thumb, broken metatarsal, open untreated wounds from my sneakers, cornea burns from the sun, and surely more I'm repressing. None of these were treated before I simply had to stop marching.

Your son sounds like a drum corps warrior and a tough dude. They'll make it through though! I can't wait to see the changes and continue to wish them all the best!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DCI Fan 9287928734 said:

Yeah, as a guy who first fell in love with drum corps watching SCV change pants in a tunnel in 1985 and The Cavaliers took us to The Planets, I grew to love so much classical music because drum corps played the greats... Pictures at an Exhibition, Appalachian Spring, New World Symphony, Firebird, Belshazzar's Feast, etc. Those days are gone, and I miss them. I love this show as well and find it much more enjoyable to listen to. I sang the Rutter Gloria in college. I sure wish they would just play good music again instead of this original stuff that is designed to just be difficult.

Indeed, my mentor mentioned above marched Planets and had a guard solo. Also, I marched 4+ shows in HS that this mentor fashioned after SCV shows. Pretty cool to have done a costume change myself that was modeled after those pants changes at SCV. 😉

• Like 1

I love what the Cavies bring this year.  I don't even care where it places...take me back to the glory days and give me those hits.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd imagine they'll take a look at the creative team and make some tweaks for next year, but by and large, they're more engaging to watch than this time last year, so there's no way to say it's not an improvement, from a fan's standpoint. Guard seems to be improved, the percussion numbers speak for themselves, hornline sounds better to me than the numbers indicate (a little sticky-out in the trumpets at end of opener that still needs to be addressed), If they'd gone a different way with the closer (the weakest portion of the show), they'd likely be bumping up a couple more points, but let's see if they can come up with something that pushes the show to a more successful conclusion.  

As for hitting a wall, welcome to the third week of July. Almost everyone who's done this on the field has had the same experience - post San Antonio, the finish line is in sight, and the week between Atlanta and Allentown is often the most productive of the summer. Plus ça change...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

I'd imagine they'll take a look at the creative team and make some tweaks for next year, but by and large, they're more engaging to watch than this time last year, so there's no way to say it's not an improvement, from a fan's standpoint. Guard seems to be improved, the percussion numbers speak for themselves, hornline sounds better to me than the numbers indicate (a little sticky-out in the trumpets at end of opener that still needs to be addressed), If they'd gone a different way with the closer (the weakest portion of the show), they'd likely be bumping up a couple more points, but let's see if they can come up with something that pushes the show to a more successful conclusion.  

As for hitting a wall, welcome to the third week of July. Almost everyone who's done this on the field has had the same experience - post San Antonio, the finish line is in sight, and the week between Atlanta and Allentown is often the most productive of the summer. Plus ça change...

They changed the closer and performed it in Abilene. Very much still a work in progress. I guess we'll all be able to see it tonight on Flo! Finally!

• Like 1