The Cavaliers 2023

Drums drums drums!!!!!!!! Congrats.

great score from guard tonight…saved their best for last. 6th!!! Impressive considering where they were last year and the quality of guards this year.

great foundation for next year. Now let’s get them a show design that can compete. 

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Jake W. said:

I think that's an overly-simplistic way to look at it. No judge is viewing the show as old-fashioned, and especially not for the amount of drill present - the 7 units above them have tons of drill that is interspersed with choreography, not the other way around, and mountains of fleshed-out melodic material, if that's what you're implying by the Michael Bay film note. It's just not a show that heads anywhere new, interesting (other than to alumni), or unique, and that has nothing to do with the amount of drill. It's not my favorite Cavies show, especially when compared to their 2016-2019 trajectory upward of fresh & current shows, but I get that it's a special year. It means a lot to alum, and that's fine. More importantly, the members have CLEARLY sucked all of the blood and marrow and passion they can out of this show, and that is a fantastic sight to see. It makes me, and I assume most fans following the activity, wonder what these guys can do next year when they aren't as harnessed by a design that is constrained by an anniversary year. To me, the corps feels a bit like Phantom in 2019 with Joan - a nice offering that every member performed the absolute snot out of, but I think we were/are more excited to think of what the talented members performing a flawed show could do with a product that meets the occasion and actually propels them forward. 

That said, similar to Phantom in 2019, I will very much enjoy watching every member of the corps proper push this show as far as it can go tomorrow, as they have done diligently the past two performances. This corps has truly figured out how to perform. 

Ith the old school comment, I was just going by the opinions of people talking to me at finals, and also some judges who've I spoken to who actually judged DCI shows this year. 

The Cavaliers' opener (Somewhere over the rainbow) is my favorite quiet opening piece of music this year..good luck in 2024 and thanks again for a memorable year...peace

• Like 1

Some final thoughts on the season:

Great year for the corps. Show was great, brought back a lot of fond memories for the anniversary, brought back that Cavalier identity, and of course the boys won a caption for the first time in 12 years. My impression looking in on this year  from the outside is that it's a younger group of guys that worked very hard and pushed through some adversity (2nd year in a row of sickness in the corps) to deliver the absolute best that they were capable of.

I am curious to see how stuff pans out with the staff and show-design before next summer, though. There wasn't really any section holding back the corps - brass finished in 8th alongside the corps, color guard in 6th, and percussion in 1st of course - the weakest caption all year was GE. I'd say the corps has successfully rebuilt after a rough season in 2022, and I hope next season they're given a show they can really sink their teeth into. This show was a ton of fun to watch and very nostalgic, but probably not designed to be a top 6 competitor in the year 2023, and for now that's okay.

At the end of the day, if the guys enjoyed marching and they're proud of what they accomplished, and there's a new generation out there that are excited to audition for the corps (and I'm already seeing this happen online), then the corps will come back stronger next year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Finally got around to watching finals night…been busy since coming home from Indy.

my lord were they amazing!!!! Or should I say they are amazing.

IMHO, most improved of the season. This show definitely peaked at Finals. lucky enough to be in Lucas Oil for this performance. 

Percussion well deserved Sanford, and how about that guard! Let’s give them a show design in ‘24 that competes. 

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 3