Madison Scouts 2023

2 hours ago, lowend said:

I see it kind of like the college football landscape.  So many schools fired good coaches trying to keep up with Nick Saban and then found themselves worse off.  Going 9-3 every year is a heck of a lot better thank taking a chance on the "next big name" that turns out to be a dud.  If you change leadership, who do you realistically get that's better?  Who can you afford - admin, designers, techs - that will let you still be around in future seasons?

Well, this leadership, IMO has been terrible for the Scouts from a competitive standpoint. They seem to constantly though #### at the wall to see what sticks. Shoot me for saying this, but I don't believe the inclusion of females was about inclusivity, it was about opening up the talent pool. I am really glad they did that as I hope it helps them competitively, and I'm a big fan of inclusion (I wish Cavies would go co-ed) but I never believed for a second the Scouts decision was based on inclusivity. It's just another example of this staff grabbing at sticks and hoping they don't fall out of the tree again.

1 minute ago, Triple Forte said:

I spent the day watching the Madison scouts rehearse in Whitewater Wisconsin last year. Some thing that stood out to me was that the staff and membership looked very young. If that observation is indeed true , hopefully each year they will grow and get better and better 😁

Yes, that would be the hope, but they can't make the mistake of writing a show that has no chance of seeing them in finals. Talent is one thing, but a less talent corps can beat a more talented corps with the right show. 

2 hours ago, DudleytheWest said:

Well, this leadership, IMO has been terrible for the Scouts from a competitive standpoint. They seem to constantly though #### at the wall to see what sticks. Shoot me for saying this, but I don't believe the inclusion of females was about inclusivity, it was about opening up the talent pool. I am really glad they did that as I hope it helps them competitively, and I'm a big fan of inclusion (I wish Cavies would go co-ed) but I never believed for a second the Scouts decision was based on inclusivity. It's just another example of this staff grabbing at sticks and hoping they don't fall out of the tree again.

I think it's ironic that the guard was always a debate the last 10 or so years of Madison for the gender reasons. Everyone said most males would go march co-ed and then the ones that wanted all male would primarily go to Cavies and leftovers to Madison. I am by far no guard person but I will say I think they benefitted the most there when going co-ed. 

• Like 1

people grumbling about "how many chances does this regime get" are only looking at the placement.  there's a whole slew of other things in funding and operations that this regime does better than anyone.  and it saved this corps from financial collapse and folding.  

id like those who cant see that component at the meetings and step up with their finance and operations planin addition to bringing a show team to say "here's what we plan to do for success both on and off the field" 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

people grumbling about "how many chances does this regime get" are only looking at the placement.  there's a whole slew of other things in funding and operations that this regime does better than anyone.  and it saved this corps from financial collapse and folding.  

id like those who cant see that component at the meetings and step up with their finance and operations planin addition to bringing a show team to say "here's what we plan to do for success both on and off the field" 

Wasn't it a couple years ago Madison and phantom both were in financial trouble?

9 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Wasn't it a couple years ago Madison and phantom both were in financial trouble?

post sal salas.  it was very bad for a very long time.  the current team fixed that and improved on it 

1 hour ago, C.Holland said:

At the end of the day, it's a competitive activity. Since 2015 (which we can thank the work Mason did for), when has there been a halfway decent design out of Madison? Never.

39 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Wasn't last man standing in that window?

last man standing, 78th and madison, and even Between the Lines was a great overall package.   I have my gripes about integration of last years show, and i understand why they did what they did.  

point being, we keep hearing the "these people have overstayed" but there's never real suggestions on action ideas on improvement, or even volunteering time and or money to help the team.  

its the same gripe i have about other BODs i deal with.  feel free to jump in an lend a hand beyond the same ol tired story. 

Edited by C.Holland