Madison Scouts 2023

38 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Passion for the activity and making a great points.  Ya, loads better than RAMD.  It's obvious to a blind person Madison has lost or rejected its' identity.  Having exciting shows was kind of the "Madison" thing.  Hell I marched others corps but I ALWAYS made it a point to watch their shows.  The golf clap people have won and it's kind of sad.

Exactly. It's passion. It's wanting a group you've always loved to do well and be successful on all fronts. We don't have to make a choice to either be competitive or be financially sound. It's not a choice. It's great if the members are having a good experience, but today a majority come to Madison as a means to get into a higher tier corps. When I marched, I knew guys in Madison who have been there for years - one of them was a 10 year. To your point, they were almost always the crowd favorite and their shows were exciting to watch whether they were 1st or 7th, but we've lost that now too. This administration has de-Madisoned Madison!

At the end of the day, those at the top are responsible for everything - financial health, good program design, membership experience and competitive health. Failing at two out of four shouldn't be acceptable. 

I mean Jesus, Scott Stewart drops the corps to 14th one year and he's gone. We're approaching a decade with this administration and the excuse making by their supporters and the complacency of the BOD is truly shocking.

It'll be interesting to see what certain people have to say if the day ever comes when Blue Devils B beats Madison. Vanguard Cadets sure came close in 2022. How scoring 2 points above a cadet corps doesn't get the bells ringing is beyond me.

Edited by DudleytheWest
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mello Dude said:

Passion for the activity and making a great points.  Ya, loads better than RAMD.  It's obvious to a blind person Madison has lost or rejected its' identity.  Having exciting shows was kind of the "Madison" thing.  Hell I marched others corps but I ALWAYS made it a point to watch their shows.  The golf clap people have won and it's kind of sad.

No, angry yelling. The good old days of the Madison threads. 

4 hours ago, DudleytheWest said:

Exactly. It's passion. It's wanting a group you've always loved to do well and be successful on all fronts. We don't have to make a choice to either be competitive or be financially sound. It's not a choice. It's great if the members are having a good experience, but today a majority come to Madison as a means to get into a higher tier corps. When I marched, I knew guys in Madison who have been there for years - one of them was a 10 year. To your point, they were almost always the crowd favorite and their shows were exciting to watch whether they were 1st or 7th, but we've lost that now too. This administration has de-Madisoned Madison!

At the end of the day, those at the top are responsible for everything - financial health, good program design, membership experience and competitive health. Failing at two out of four shouldn't be acceptable. 

I mean Jesus, Scott Stewart drops the corps to 14th one year and he's gone. We're approaching a decade with this administration and the excuse making by their supporters and the complacency of the BOD is truly shocking.

It'll be interesting to see what certain people have to say if the day ever comes when Blue Devils B beats Madison. Vanguard Cadets sure came close in 2022. How scoring 2 points above a cadet corps doesn't get the bells ringing is beyond me.

the majority of students get 1. maybe two years.  its a cost issue.  ive had only a few open class or dca students march a few seasons in OC, then move up for 1, maybe 2 seasons in worlds.   no student looks at this like we all did years ago.  so chill. 

8 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

the majority of students get 1. maybe two years.  its a cost issue.  ive had only a few open class or dca students march a few seasons in OC, then move up for 1, maybe 2 seasons in worlds.   no student looks at this like we all did years ago.  so chill. 

Most people I have taught that went on to march normally do last two seasons of eligibility. Cost is the biggest factor and I took 5 years inbetween rookie and ageout complaining about money(2300rookie-3500ageout).

2 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Most people I have taught that went on to march normally do last two seasons of eligibility. Cost is the biggest factor and I took 5 years inbetween rookie and ageout complaining about money(2300rookie-3500ageout).

90% of mine get a couple seasons in OC or DCA. and then 1 in Worlds. (see also cost)  I've had a handful who somehow marched 2-3 in worlds.  and i'm not sure how they afforded it. 

2 hours ago, C.Holland said:

90% of mine get a couple seasons in OC or DCA. and then 1 in Worlds. (see also cost)  I've had a handful who somehow marched 2-3 in worlds.  and i'm not sure how they afforded it. 

I know many who march for several years in World, currently at two top two corps from last year, so there a lot of people still marching multiple years too.

Edited by jjeffeory

1 hour ago, C.Holland said:

Fee discounts as veterans?

20 hours ago, TOC said:

Fee discounts as veterans?

there are usually discounts for returning vets.  But you're still paying the equivalent of a crappy used car for OC and DCA, and an OK used car for Worlds.   So the discount, while nice... ain't much.  Maybe a few hundred. 

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Thinking back to when I marched w/ some 8-year vets…..

i marched 5 years.  i knew some who marched 6-11 years.  but we can't tour like that now.  the needs of todays student is very different compared to our needs then.  and the costs are different.  fields and housing for starters are rarely if ever free or affordable now.  all costs that used to be absorbed by a school or facility get passed back along to the corps.