Madison Scouts 2023

5 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

I will totally own that this might be my own issue, but what is the identity of Madison Scouts?

What makes them unique? What is their niche?  What is their special take that they offer drum corps fans?

In my mind, Madison Scouts used to be the brawny, broad-shouldered, powerful corps.   

Now I have no idea who they are.

A corp trying to survive, I agree the current MS has no resemblance of the past all male corp. They use to be a headline corp. 

• Like 1

Enough #####in about the admin.  This thread is about the 2023 edition.

I’m gonna throw out some thoughts from 25 years in theatre design here (and too many years teaching this activity)…

If you can’t define the concept in your head to a T, you can’t coach a performer to elevate it. 

Moment to moment there should be a flow that transitions the concept effortlessly, that does not place as much weight on the performers trying to sell it. Good design makes the performers job easy so they can focus on fundamentals. 

How do we draw the eye from place to place?  What is the thread that binds this all together?   What translates the concept to the audience? 

And as much as I hate to say it, stop trying to march everything, we left marching as the only method of moving a perform well over a decade ago. Think of new ways to move performers from A to B that elevate the concept for the performer.

I love all of you performers on the field, I am behind you 150%.  I am agitated that this concept though cool, has holes in it and you’re being asked to elevate it more than it elevates you. 

if it’s a garden, find ways to make things grow. Find ways to grapevine moment to moment better.  Money was spent on a prop, how does that integrate with the corps?  What makes it sexy? What catalyst is it? 

if I have more questions than I have conclusions as a viewer, then I have concerns. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@C.Holland It's not for you to dictate how the conversation on this thread goes. This failed adminstration is completely relevant to a 2023 product that is going to place lower than the 2022 product.

Edited by Vuitton
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

@C.Holland It's not for you to dictate how the conversation on this thread goes. This failed adminstration is complete relevant to a 2023 product that is going to place lower than the 2022 product.

You just enjoy crying about the same #### daily.  Find something new to cry about for once. 

• Thanks 2

Maybe you enjoy toxicity. Or need a hug. Idk. Idc.

Wahhhhhhhhhhhh

Just now, C.Holland said:

You just enjoy crying about the same #### daily.  Find something new to cry about for once. 

I don't even know how to reply to this intelligent and well written rebuttal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Vuitton said:

I don't even know how to reply to this intelligent and well written rebuttal.

Intelligent being the word. 

but please continue as expected. 

wah

9 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

Enough #####in about the admin.  This thread is about the 2023 l

I wasn’t speaking directly about the admin. 

Why are the members marching Madison? Who do they think the corps is?

What do fans want to see?

What do FMM want to see?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

I will totally own that this might be my own issue, but what is the identity of Madison Scouts?

What makes them unique? What is their niche?  What is their special take that they offer drum corps fans?

In my mind, Madison Scouts used to be the brawny, broad-shouldered, powerful corps.   

Now I have no idea who they are.

Agreed. It's sad what has happened to them. What is even sadder is wondering were they would be if it was Chris who was out after 2014 and Mason was still around. My guess is they'd be a solid top 12 corps with an identity. 

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

A corp trying to survive, I agree the current MS has no resemblance of the past all male corp. They use to be a headline corp. 

When they decided to add girls, they should have let the Madison Scout brand die on the vine and revived the Capitol Sound name. The legacy of greatness Madison developed over two decades has 100% evaporated. The name Kingsmen still evokes a feeling of awe among some people. Madison fighting for semis is a slap in the face to the Men of Madison and the Brotherhood. 

• Like 3