Bluecoats 2023

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

the ballad through the trombone section is my fav section of DCI 2023 so far 

Agreed Cappy. It's a fantastic ballad. Whomever the cat is on flugel....brother you have some gorgeous tone man. The only thing I hope they add, is some voicing to when the full ensemble comes in. The whole drum set "thump" on 2 and 4 is just....meh. With such a good pit, they can add a lot of timbre and color to that 8 or 10 measures. It just feel the tiniest bit empty to me as a drummer.

Definitely my favorite show of the year. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 1

Nice job tonight Bluecoats. Congratulations! Such a great show.

12 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Agreed Cappy. It's a fantastic ballad. Whomever the cat is on flugel....brother you have some gorgeous tone man. The only thing I hope they add, is some voicing to when the full ensemble comes in. The whole drum set "thump" on 2 and 4 is just....meh. With such a good pit, they can add a lot of timbre and color to that 8 or 10 measures. It just feel the tiniest bit empty to me as a drummer.

Definitely my favorite show of the year. 

Agreed, I feel like they could make that moment more special with something more than just drum set underneath. 

• Like 1

Saw a video from last night, lots of nice adjustments throughout!  No big changes, but lots of tweaking and adding the sprinkles on some moments.  Love the adjustments in the ballad especially, flugel gets some more notes and some re staging of some things.  Flow from section to section is getting better.  

Bump is so hard lol, the timing in that section is pretty absurd with the metric modulation that happens in there.  Still a work in progress, but know they'll get it there. 

Can't wait to see where they stack up on Tuesday, always a fan no matter what, but this show just has that special something for me.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Bump is so hard lol, the timing in that section is pretty absurd with the metric modulation that happens in there.  Still a work in progress, but know they'll get it there. 

It really is a hard piece. Not being a brass player, I can only imagine how tough a piece it is. The battery part I wish I could pull out a little volume wise so I could hear exactly what the timing is supposed to be but I just don't have the equipment for that. From what I can hear, lots of cold attacks and edge geography stuff. 

I want the priests to go bye bye (or at least not be RIGHT THERE with the front ensemble.) I said it in different post and I'll say it again. It feels like thrown together choreography right there and it distracts my eyes from the other much cooler moments that are going on. 

Edit: Special note to the design staff. If you give the priests keytars, I will change my opinion. I mean we're reusing the props anyways.....

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever