Bluecoats 2023

1 hour ago, FaustianMachine said:

Did you know that Bluecoats members this year were required to be fans of a certain horror franchise? 

In fact, if you go to the corps' main office and look at their movie section, you'll see a copy of Saw and Saw, and Saw, and Saw.... 

lmao. This joke was a criminal act. Off to jail you go! 

• Haha 4

On 7/8/2023 at 2:09 PM, RealJoey said:

Coming from a 2022 Bloopit synth player and former synth from this year... (I left for personal reasons... The spot was refilled though!)

This show is very VERY special. From our very first full ensemble for this season, the brass already sounded much louder than last year, which was super exciting. The music that the Bloopit has this year is insane and very technically demanding, but they are already delivering. When we were playing our music last year, it took us a while to lock in and it took a lot of "1-measure long reps" to clean things up and get our chops moving. This year, we felt locked in from the beginning and I know that they are more than capable of cleaning things up the way they did last year. In terms of design, I was skeptical on the poem being incorporated into the show (that's coming from a synth player), but I love it, especially when it's used in a similar fashion to Mr. Maps from 2015. 

Although I left spring training, I still saw a lot of inside information and saw all of the work that the corps put in leading up to their community performance and their first competitive show at Mason, OH. I foresee a lot of success from this talented group... I don't wanna put anything out there in terms of predictions (I am biased, after all), but they are definitely contending for a lot of things for the remainder of this season. 

There's obviously some things that definitely still need work on the musical side of the spectrum, but I'm excited for how things sound when I go see them in San Antonio and Indy!

Joey Kratchenfield! In the flesh!! Good to see you seem to be doing well, I was confused where you seemed to go in the corps media early season after the emergency synth opening announcement. You had some of my favorite parts in the show last year!

As a former synth from this year, are you able to explain how the synth underneath the trombone opening in the ballad works? Is it a live effect applied to the bone like what they did in 2019? Or are they playing the chords independently of the trombone without a drum major? In either case, it's very impressive, but for different reasons!

On 7/8/2023 at 10:45 PM, saxfreq1128 said:

They ate. I like this show a lot. It’s such a groovy show. No one sets the mood quite like Bloo this year.  I really love how the show takes us somewhere. It feels like such a production. 

The people complaining about the maximalism of it are kinda overlooking how much of the show is committed to doing regular, groovy, satisfying drum corps things, IMHO. 

Are people really complaining that there isn’t enough going on in this show? It seems pretty intense to me. 

I do question some of the staging though. The big prop sits backfield most of the show so when soloists are on it they are virtually invisible. Kind of an unusual production fail for Bluecoats from a staging standpoint that I hope they fix. 

• Like 2

On 7/3/2023 at 9:24 AM, IllianaLancerContra said:

Philosophical question: At what point does it stop being cutting-edge innovation & just become Bluecoats doing more weird, over-the-top stuff?

Are these things mutually exclusive? ...and if it were only the second thing, would that not be just as challenging, aesthetically mature, and enjoyable?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

Are people really complaining that there isn’t enough going on in this show? It seems pretty intense to me. 

I do question some of the staging though. The big prop sits backfield most of the show so when soloists are on it they are virtually invisible. Kind of an unusual production fail for Bluecoats from a staging standpoint that I hope they fix. 

No they’re complaining that there’s TOO MUCH all at once. And I get that but there’s honestly a lot of regular drum corps in this show, I don’t get the complaint some people have that it’s not “drum corps” enough. The psychedelic stuff isn’t the entirety of the show.  

• Thanks 2

I've seen glimpses so far but haven't watched the full thing yet. Feeling kinda nervous because I'm seeing mixed emotions mostly on the negative side and that's not a good sign for your favorite musical artist in all of time and space haha. I really should take it with a grain of salt though, a lot of people said Riffs and Revelations was bad and it became an instant classic for me that it still gets repeated over and over even a year later.

3 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

I've seen glimpses so far but haven't watched the full thing yet. Feeling kinda nervous because I'm seeing mixed emotions mostly on the negative side and that's not a good sign for your favorite musical artist in all of time and space haha. I really should take it with a grain of salt though, a lot of people said Riffs and Revelations was bad and it became an instant classic for me that it still gets repeated over and over even a year later.

I think you'll be fine with them this year. It's very very Bluecoats vibe.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

3 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

I think you'll be fine with them this year. It's very very Bluecoats vibe.

If you loved Riffs and Revelations from go, the same will happen with Garden of Love. For me, I came to love R&R after it had developed more and the performance got cleaner so the show read better - but I trust Bloo to know how to grow and clean their show. I am enjoying Garden of Love more at this point than I did R&R at same time last year, and it has a lot of room to blossom more.

• Like 2