Time to make all electronics part of the performance?

1 hour ago, ironlips said:

An interesting point. What does the member get for $5K tuition?

- the opportunity to perform for large audiences, on various instruments and implements

- excellent training which may pay off professionally

A person could say, "I was a (dancer, synth, trombone...etc.) in a top 12 drum corps". This can lead to some fine future opportunities.

So, would that not also apply to someone who mixed live sound for  a similarly successful corps for a season or two, at large stadium venues? Would that be worth the tuition?

Actually, I think kids getting a ba-jillion hours of mixing practice in all types acoustic situations... I'd think this would almost be as good as a taking 9 credits of a music technology minor.  Especially if the kids got to contribute to creating the soundscapes, the work of running the hardware at shows, etc.  

PLUS>>> the corps would save money!! Hire less staff and more income from members!

Treat it like another specialized section (guard, drumline, front ensemble, brass... aaaand the sound crew!).  

8 hours ago, ironlips said:

An interesting point. What does the member get for $5K tuition?

- the opportunity to perform for large audiences, on various instruments and implements

- excellent training which may pay off professionally

A person could say, "I was a (dancer, synth, trombone...etc.) in a top 12 drum corps". This can lead to some fine future opportunities.

So, would that not also apply to someone who mixed live sound for  a similarly successful corps for a season or two, at large stadium venues? Would that be worth the tuition?

well....i honestly don't think it would attract that many kids for the spot. plus....that counts towards the 154 member limit. so which caption has to give up a dot for a kid paying $5k to run the board?

On 9/5/2022 at 7:41 AM, keystone3ply said:

I'm "all in". 😂  Bring back the original & give us a disco show!  :dancin:

Sound engineering enhancement and/ or creative use of amplification for a brass instrument has been around longer than many think.  Not everyone was happy with this particular early use of amplification on the brass instrument either.  I'm pretty sure more than one or two wanted to strangle the guy. 🙂No description available.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

Sound engineering enhancement and/ or creative use of amplification for a brass instrument has been around longer than many think.  Not everyone was happy with this particular early use of amplification on the brass instrument either.  I'm pretty sure more than one or two wanted to strangle the guy. 🙂No description available.

This is the photo that inspired the Renegades a few years back.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well....i honestly don't think it would attract that many kids for the spot. plus....that counts towards the 154 member limit. so which caption has to give up a dot for a kid paying $5k to run the board?

The limit is 165 now... and nearly everyone fell short of that number in 2022.

On 9/7/2022 at 11:29 AM, Jeff Ream said:

however, to do it in drum corps, to be a member, you have to pay the fees. not sure how many kids will want to pay $5000+ to do it

IF they learned the skill, then that $5000 could pay them big dividends in the future. I basically got my start mixing from working as an intern. My labor was free (and was probably more than $5000 in the end), but what I learned allow me to get into film school, and then do quite well in the film and music industry. I would gladly pay $5000 to learn this skill. 

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

The limit is 165 now... and nearly everyone fell short of that number in 2022.

thats right i forgot. but i dont see top corps willing to do it

1 hour ago, deftguy said:

Actually no it won't Jeff. Scanners don't broadcast a signal, they look for them. 

thats a plus in theory. but then you run into every human running their own hot spots too