12 Days Of Drum Corps – 1987 Phantom Regiment

1986 was a tough year for the Phantom Regiment. After a string of successful seasons, including multiple title contention years, the corps found itself in 10th place with an “old school” show that, while popular with fans, didn’t speak to the judges. It was time fora refresh, a way for the Regiment to retain their identity while bringing something new to the table. Songs For The Winter Palace did exactly that.

Link

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

God bless Michael Cesario. He had a vision which came to a beautiful realization for the ‘87 season. Thank you Michael.

• Like 1

1987 was very refreshing. The design was perfect for the time!

I wish Finals had been their best run, but I still love this show.  A new look.  A new sound. Classy and Classical AF!!! 

I toured most of the summer with PR while marching in NA.  We were playing mostly the same music.  I sure wish DCM and the other regional circuits (and corps) still existed.  More shows, less travel and the little guys always being with the "Big Boys" creates some special memories.  It was always nice hearing folks from PR, Madison and Star hum our show tunes at DCM Championships on our freedays.  Different times.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Christmas BUMP

1 hour ago, jthomas666 said:

One of my all-time favorite shows!

The attention to detail was beautifully done.

Thank you for starting this thread.

That was such a great year for them. I was in Jr. Scouts that year and their members were at one of our shows the first weekend. I talked to one of their guard members and asked her if they were better than last year and she said, "We're a hell of lot better than last year." Then Whitewater happened at they got clobbered (5th behind Cavies, Madison, Star and Bluecoats). We saw them a few days later and I remember how shocking seeing those all whites were. It was just stunning. I begged our corps directors girlfriend to record their show with my boom box and she did (Swan Lake and the Nutcracker were and still are two of my favorite ballets). It was a favorite on the horn bus all summer. Since 1984 I have only actively rooted for Regiment to beat Madison once - in '87. Sorry brothers - their show was just magical to me. 

They got good quickly that year. I remember being at our housing site at DeKalb when the three busses with our big brothers pulled in and we were all eager to see how they did. It was a chorus of "THIRD" coming out of the bus windows. I knew that meant Regiment was second. I remember hearing they beat Cavies at DCI South then Devils shortly thereafter. The were coming into Madison firing on all cylinders. 

Gosh, they were in a pole position to get a big score in finals with that 95.6 semis score. 10th in '86 and 3rd at '87 semis was incredible. It was too bad they had an off night at finals. Such a magical show and one of three from '87 I still watch/listen to (the others being Vanguard and Garfield). 

Edited by Vuitton
  • Like 1