12 Corps Of Christmas - 1978-1982 Guardsmen

13 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Honestly, we would have been that good in 1978 but we had seven people and a ham sandwich ($1 to Lee Rudnicki) showing up until about May.  It was a minor miracle that we pulled it together to place 11th.  We were three points over the Kilts in finals, too.  

I was told that those of us who stayed the course that winter, saved the corps. 

I went to a G-Men practice with a buddy in the corps in spring of 1978 and there were maybe 10 in the drum line, 15 horns and 10 CG.

Then in 1979 practices and camps were jam packed with members. 

Some of the other corps didn't respect the Guardsmen, because they had a reputation for "throwing a corps together" at the last minute. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TenHut said:

I went to a G-Men practice with a buddy in the corps in spring of 1978 and there were maybe 10 in the drum line, 15 horns and 10 CG.

Then in 1979 practices and camps were jam packed with members. 

Some of the other corps didn't respect the Guardsmen, because they had a reputation for "throwing a corps together" at the last minute. 

As someone who competed against the Guardsmen BITD … we had a ton of respect for them as competitors.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

As someone who competed against the Guardsmen BITD … we had a ton of respect for them as competitors.

We had a lot of people move on to other corps after we didn’t make finals in 1977.  No judgement from me.  You sign up for one season at a time.  But a lot of them went to Kilties. So it was kind of fun to beat them by three points in finals. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

We had a lot of people move on to other corps after we didn’t make finals in 1977.  No judgement from me.  You sign up for one season at a time.  But a lot of them went to Kilties. So it was kind of fun to beat them by three points in finals. 

I thought they moved on after the shakos were unveiled

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I thought they moved on after the shakos were unveiled

Er…oatmeal boxes.

Hey Ms. Terri, were you in the “Finger Clickin’ Good” ad for KFC? Asking for a friend who is a huge Guardsmen fan.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sutasaurus said:

Er…oatmeal boxes.

Hey Ms. Terri, were you in the “Finger Clickin’ Good” ad for KFC? Asking for a friend who is a huge Guardsmen fan.

Nope.   I did high school marching band in 1974 and 75.   It was summer band back then.  I decided to march drum corps again in the fall of 1975 after I graduated from high school. The commercial was made in 1975.  I was there in 76 though.  We never heard the end of it.  People yelling chicken when we came on the field 😂.  It was all in good fun. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Kudos to the Guardsmen for bringing such a memorable piece of music to the field. A shout out to Ms. Terri’s contribution to a great legacy. You all were awesome!

Fanfare For The New?  Yeah I know you’re talking about Greensleeves but (no offense intended to Argonne) it was - ahh Thats’s what it’s supposed to sound like. I prefer the ‘79 Guardsmen version to the one BD did in ‘87.

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Fanfare For The New?  Yeah I know you’re talking about Greensleeves but (no offense intended to Argonne) it was - ahh Thats’s what it’s supposed to sound like. I prefer the ‘79 Guardsmen version to the one BD did in ‘87.

Anybody that can pull off Fanfare For The New is a winner in my book. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Nope.   I did high school marching band in 1974 and 75.   It was summer band back then.  I decided to march drum corps again in the fall of 1975 after I graduated from high school. The commercial was made in 1975.  I was there in 76 though.  We never heard the end of it.  People yelling chicken when we came on the field 😂.  It was all in good fun. 

"Finger Licken' good". Someone in the crowd yells "chicken sucks" on either the 1976 or 1977 finals recording just before the G-Men show starts. 

• Like 1