good/bad on controversial support

13 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

As an extreme example, I worked for a youth dance education NP that had previously accepted donations from a gun shop in town. Opinions aside, they decided the following year to drop that funder because they accepted that their values weren't aligned. There was probably pushback from the board too. This kind of thing happens all the time.

Worked a car show and auto parts flea market. Should have heard the complaints about the seller with the KKK member sign up so everyone could see it. Biggest complainers were the sellers around him as people were avoiding the area. Pushed the problem onto the national club and all I know is he wasn’t back at that location following year

17 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

NPs are rarely so financially stable to cut off all ties with funders who may act against their best interests. It's not black and white. But funders do donate to unwitting NPs to whitewash their images. It's a risk development/grantwriting officers manage. They also do their best to ensure that the majority of their funders become more aligned with their mission over time. Thus, these professionals act as the diplomat/negotiator/relationship-builder between the NP and their funders. Such relationships take constant care to stabilize and grow funding.

As an extreme example, I worked for an youth dance education NP that had previously accepted donations from a gun shop in town. Opinions aside, they decided the following year to drop that funder because they accepted that their values weren't aligned. There was probably pushback from the board too. This kind of thing happens all the time.

We have had untold numbers of youth groups from the US ( sports and musical and other ) invited to China where they were paid to perform there . The fact these US youth groups were paid from organizations there that are openly hostile to religious and ethnic and LGBT Community ( far, FAR   worse than ANY US Co . or organization ) is of no great concern . Thas because the overarching good accomplished overshadows the money element with  “ where that money came from “. 

Edited by Boss Anova

16 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

NPs are rarely so financially stable to cut off all ties with funders who may act against their best interests. It's not black and white. But funders do donate to unwitting NPs to whitewash their images. It's a risk development/grantwriting officers manage. They also do their best to ensure that the majority of their funders become more aligned with their mission over time. Thus, these professionals act as the diplomat/negotiator/relationship-builder between the NP and their funders. Such relationships take constant care to stabilize and grow funding.

As an extreme example, I worked for an youth dance education NP that had previously accepted donations from a gun shop in town. Opinions aside, they decided the following year to drop that funder because they accepted that their values weren't aligned. There was probably pushback from the board too. This kind of thing happens all the time.

In this particular case, a franchisee in the Boston area nominated the organization for the award.  Nationwide online voting took place, and every current member and alum that I know of voted for this, resulting in the award.  Everyone knows these funds are going for a great cause.  This is a manufactured controversy, and other than the original vote, has nothing to do with the marching members.  There is literally nothing to see here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well you tried reading my mind on the issue and failed miserably. I said nothing about “strings attached”. Only what might be the effects of accepting donation from a group that angers some people 

None of what I said was intended to "read your mind", or even to be directed specifically at you - only reacting to the post.  Any use of the word "you" was meant to speak to the reader.  I will be editing any other of my words that I spot which might be contributing to your misinterpretation.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

We have had untold numbers of youth groups from the US ( sports and musical and other ) invited to China where they were paid to perform there . The fact these US youth groups were paid from organizations there that are openly hostile to religious and ethnic and LGBT Community ( far, FAR   worse than ANY US Co . or organization ) is of no great concern . Thas because the overarching good accomplished overshadows the money element with  “ where that money came from “. 

I literally said it's not black and white.

4 minutes ago, craiga said:

In this particular case, a franchisee in the Boston area nominated the organization for the award.  Nationwide online voting took place, and every current member and alum that I know of voted for this, resulting in the award.  Everyone knows these funds are going for a great cause.  This is a manufactured controversy, and other than the original vote, has nothing to do with the marching members.  There is literally nothing to see here.

I'm only speaking in hypotheticals, although I'm aware of the situation and have been commenting on it in the other thread. With my history in this area of nps, I have opinions... but in this thread, I'm speaking broadly. There's no controversy here.

10 minutes ago, craiga said:

This is a manufactured controversy, and other than the original vote, has nothing to do with the marching members.  There is literally nothing to see here.

Disagree with nothing to see. If a donor gives to good causes and also bad or hurtful causes should people only look at their group and not the big picture. Again not just talking about the money angle, also about how it might make the corps appear

if you see no issue fine but know people who have been hurt by what this donor is pushing. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Worked a car show and auto parts flea market. Should have heard the complaints about the seller with the KKK member sign up so everyone could see it. Biggest complainers were the sellers around him as people were avoiding the area. Pushed the problem onto the national club and all I know is he wasn’t back at that location following year

It's human nature in business. Move toward partners you're aligned with, and away from the ones you aren't. Again, opinions aside. And NPs have established precedence for navigating this... drum corps are just slow to pick up on it.

15 minutes ago, craiga said:

Agree . If somehow the current Boston Crusaders ( or any other DCI Corps ) were operating in a hostile and or unsafe environment for its youth or its staffers there , then that is of concern . But this donation was voted on , and Crusaders got the most votes , and so they received the donation from the local Chic fil A franchise owner in Copley Square in the City of Boston that we are informed is herself gay, so whats the problem here ? None as far as I can tell  . This is such a non story , imo . Can’t wait till the season begins and we get thru this silly off season here on DCP of manufactured “ outrage “ on something or other .. lol 

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

Agree . If somehow the current Boston Crusaders ( or any other DCI Corps ) were operating in a hostile and or unsafe environment for its youth or its staffers there , then that is of concern . But this donation was voted on , and Crusaders got the most votes , and so they received the donation from the local Chic fil A franchise owner in Copley Square in the City of Boston that we are informed is gay, so whats the problem here ? None as far as I can see  . This is such a non story , imo . Can’t wait till the season begins and we get thru this silly off season here on DCP of manufactured “ outrage “ on something or other .. lol 

Well I WAS trying to make this a generic thread about donations from controversial sources. If this continues on the path of discussing/defending BC and insulting those who disagree (“manufactured” outrage) I’ll have this closed and you can start your own. I try to be tolerant toward different opinions and I sure as hell expect it from others in any thread I open.

knew a lady who couldn’t even hold hands with her significant other in public for fear her boss would find out she was gay and fire her. Yeah that outrages me but it ain’t manufactured 

Edited by JimF-LowBari