Cadets Relocate to Erie, PA!

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Cadets leadership responsible for marked decline in number of shows in Philly-NYC….

Details????? Proof???

The truth is the truth. For a very long time the Cadets used to run an early season show in Allentown (and in NJ before that). Cadets also ran at least one, sometimes two, late-season shows in NJ. That's in addition to the Allentown regional. Last year DCI/Surf ran a single show. This year there is just one again. 

Two or three in the past down to one in the present is adverse and significant. 

• Like 3

I may be in the minority, but here's my view.

Current situation in the East shows a decline in shows.  Marked!

Consider that The Cadets started over from ZERO at the beginning of the pandemic.

Consider they lost USBands as a revenue stream ... starting with ZERO means, they could afford to buy ZERO.

Consider they were no longer able to RUN any shows due to making fiscally responsible decisions. (you can't take chances on a positive return if you don't have the cash to cover a potential loss)

Now Consider, The Cadets are taking over the Annapolis show this year. Move to Erie is showing financial promise and consolidation of expenses in a very smart way.  It's my understanding they've picked up a few clinics this year as well.  If this is a new trend, I foresee MORE shows in the East in the future.  If things go well at Annapolis this year, there's no reason for them not to pick up Clifton again, or Allentown 1 and 2, or more. 

Baby steps.

• Like 6

In response to a few things going around in terms of "less east shows" and "less east corps", there's already rumblings that the Cadets coming to Erie is going to bring back The Erie Thunderbirds. Which has been a goal of the local drum corps community for years to have them back for good. That would help foster growth in eastern corps. The Cadets just announced they've added Gary Matczak to their board of directors. Gary is an Erie native that has helped run the Erie Thunderbirds and the Lake Erie Fanfare for years. This is proof that there is more collaboration between Erie and the Cadets than originally lead on, and there was already a lot of it. 

Erie being so well geographically located, this could lead to greater things in the East for DCA, Soundsport, and eventually DCI. I understand the sentiment of "the Cadets moving out west and giving up the East", but this is such a financially sound decision for them and this hunger that the Erie area has to revitalize corps activity I believe will foster growth. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

*though I'm convinced their board/leadership isn't pure, a topic for another day 

Gotta throw out a wild claim without a shred of evidence. Nice.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Gotta throw out a wild claim without a shred of evidence. Nice.

Irony is someone I know was just named to the board. Not saying name without permission.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Irony is someone I know was just named to the board. Not saying name without permission.

Oh I said it. I saw the Cadets post about it. 

3 hours ago, supersop said:

I may be in the minority, but here's my view.

Current situation in the East shows a decline in shows.  Marked!

Consider that The Cadets started over from ZERO at the beginning of the pandemic.

Consider they lost USBands as a revenue stream ... starting with ZERO means, they could afford to buy ZERO.

Consider they were no longer able to RUN any shows due to making fiscally responsible decisions. (you can't take chances on a positive return if you don't have the cash to cover a potential loss)

Surely you and others aren't suggesting that the Cadets were flush with cash when they moved to Allentown? That the move was malicious, manufactured by one man to alienate the Cadets from their alums in NJ? Because that would be a very DCP thing to think. 

No. Then like now, the issue was financial. Jersey was expensive. Cadets needed to reduce operating costs to sustain programming. Moving to Allentown kept them viable while keeping them in proximity to Jersey and their fans. Erie satisfies the viable part. Not the fan part. 

The two events have the same economic basis. The reaction is what's different. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Oh I said it. I saw the Cadets post about it. 

Lol too many years of computer and personal security training at work (Department of Defense) so I’m careful (paranoid 😆) about what I say. But agree with what you posted. I found out about it from the Cadets post too. 👍 

Funny thing to me is Thunderbirds were one of my corps friendly rival BITD. Now both corps are currently defunct but Erie still has a corps presence.

Edited by JimF-LowBari