2023 DCA Competitions

stansea

On 4/26/2023 at 10:33 PM, godzilla5123 said:

Sure. No DCA corps is on par with Boston or BD or anyone else extremely clean, but Reading and Hawthorne have put out amazing shows every year that are on par with semifinalists. Everyone puts in a #### ton of effort anyways in their show as well. Different circuit, different rehearsal ideals (given that it's weekend band and not a full-on tour), and different show expectations.

Most people that show up at DCA shows are friends, family, alumni, and old folks that aged out many moons ago. Hardly any high schoolers or college kids show up to these events. This is mainly due to DCA not advertising themselves as much, and being under a massive shadow from DCI. There were more people at Allentown watching Reading and Surf last year than people watching Hawthorne's competing, alumni, and combined performance at Clifton that same season. Several bands get busses out with their kids to watch the events, and it's definitely a great starter for them to consider it. Also, it's just easier for kids to start at a DCA corps rather than wasting 200$+ at a Bluecoats camp just to either get stringed along and fleeced or instantly cut with 0 notes of improvement, and not march that year. I know a lot of people who did that.

Imo, in regards to the last point, given that it's two DCA corps per night it's easy to throw them in the middle (say after the break) and have the ideal audience. Or just go back to random sorting with hidden performance schedules until then. But until then, and when DCI fixes a lot of their issues, having a performance at Allentown will help the corps and the circuit more than having a show with not enough attendance.

with it getting harder and harder to get space to perform and rehearse, and school years taking more and more students away for due to expanding calendards, take every bone you're thrown.  Even if you get 10 students who watched in allentown, show up to auditions for DCA, that's better than before. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LucyGuy66 said:

Jeff Ream, neither does DCA!! LMAO

Probably waiting to make sure these shows are actually going to happen. Last year I want to say shows got announced and then corps went inactive for the season which left some shows off the calendar or some just had to cancel the shows for lack of interest and or financing. 

13 hours ago, LucyGuy66 said:

Jeff Ream, neither does DCA!! LMAO

It went up today 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dbriggs said:

really? where? it doesn't show at my link to DCA site, 'cept for Labor Day wknd

it was all over social media.

https://www.facebook.com/DCACorps

2 hours ago, dbriggs said:

ok, I saw that. thx. 

Saw same post on DCAs instagram account. Hope we get corps list soon.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Yes, DCA finally has a schedule posted.  They posted it on Facebook but not on there "Official Website". Just shaking my head at this one.  Yes, I'm sure DCA will get a greater read on FB. But why bother having an "Official Website" if you're not going to maintain it??

• Like 3

13 hours ago, LucyGuy66 said:

Yes, DCA finally has a schedule posted.  They posted it on Facebook but not on there "Official Website". Just shaking my head at this one.  Yes, I'm sure DCA will get a greater read on FB. But why bother having an "Official Website" if you're not going to maintain it??

well since Glen passed, i have no idea who runs the site