Per the California Attorney General Vanguard is operating illegally as a non profit

31 minutes ago, DudleytheWest said:

DCI isn't fair, not in how it operates or how it's judged. 

When the game is made up and the points don't matter, it's easy to manipulate. Been away from drum corps too long to know if this directly applies, but if it doesn't, then it's certainly fertile ground for such. It's a big reason why the competition aspect bores me so.  Always has.

And I've always been curious about Vanguard's role in the G8. Lots of turnover during that time, I think,  though so probably difficult to tell.

Despite recent commentary, and including official and unofficial info out there, I'm still holding out hope for a solid comeback at some point. And again, the org is too, so they're really good liars if the last page of the thread is to be believed.

Edited by scheherazadesghost

2 hours ago, DudleytheWest said:

Great post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. For me, the 165 is less about finances than hurting the little guy. Let's be honest here - the corps at the top want to stay at the top. It's ALWAYS been that way. What's the best way to do that? Make sure no one comes up from the ranks and topples

Last I read the decision to go 165 was a unanimous decision among corps directors (including Open Class), which means every single corps large and small voted for it. While the result may benefit larger corps, and even if the vote was proposed by Crown, the vote hardly shows that it's about keeping the little guys (corps) down.

Edited by resipsaloquitur
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

According to Sondheim: "It's a theater reference meaning "if the show isn't going well, let's send in the clowns"; in other words, "let's do the jokes." I always want to know, when I'm writing a song, what the end is going to be, so "Send in the Clowns" didn't settle in until I got the notion, "Don't bother, they're here", which means that "We are the fools."

This is an example of the difference between my generation of Drum Corps vs your generation of Drum Corps.   I see Clowns as a nice tune that made for a great closer.   You see Clowns with all kinds of additional meaning.   Not that one is right and the other is wrong, but the perspective is different.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DudleytheWest said:

Great post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. For me, the 165 is less about finances than hurting the little guy. Let's be honest here - the corps at the top want to stay at the top. It's ALWAYS been that way. What's the best way to do that? Make sure no one comes up from the ranks and topples you. How do you do that? You push for policies that benefit you and hurt the little guy. It's the same across life. Those that win, win at the expense of those that lose. Most at the top (in all facets of life) care only for themselves and have little concern for those at the bottom. It's like the first world countries - they remain first world countries because they work to ensure the third world countries stay third world. Business is like that, too. DCI is no different.

Look at it this way (and I know it's not happening exactly like this). We'll start with 2019 finishes and adding 15 members.

BD takes 15 members from Bluecoats

Bluecoats take 30 members from Vanguard

Vanguard takes 45 members from Crown

Crown takes 60 members from Cavies

Cavies take 75 members from Boston

You get the picture. Like I said, it's not going to work exactly like this, but this move definitely hurts the lower tier corps and makes it harder for them to get quality talent, because there's a lot more of that quality talent shifting upwards. 

The activity as a whole should have, and should, care for the activity as a whole, because when you don't there will come a point where there is nothing left, or very little left. It's in the interest of the top corps to care for the overall health, fair competition, and growth of DCI even if it's at their expense, even if they don't win. But, it's never been that way, and it will never be that way.

Actually, it kind of was that way once - through Star of Indiana. Star did a lot to help other corps during their time at DCI, which is why the treatment they received by DCI, the judging community and the fans was so outrageous. At the time, I was ###### at Star for leaving and thought it was a mistake. Now, I applaud it and I think it was the smartest thing they did. DCI isn't fair, not in how it operates or how it's judged. 

And when it implodes, DCI (the Corps) will have no one to blame but themselves. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

This is an example of the difference between my generation of Drum Corps vs your generation of Drum Corps.   I see Clowns as a nice tune that made for a great closer.   You see Clowns with all kinds of additional meaning.   Not that one is right and the other is wrong, but the perspective is different. 

Indeed, porque no los dos? It also looks like a blast to perform, based Dame Judy Dench's arc with it alone.

Edited by scheherazadesghost

4 hours ago, resipsaloquitur said:

Last I read the decision to go 165 was a unanimous decision among corps directors (including Open Class), which means every single corps large and small voted for it. While the result may benefit larger corps, and even if the vote was proposed by Crown, the vote hardly shows that it's about keeping the little guys (corps) down.

165 is a number of mm’s you CAN go to, but you don’t have to.  Some corps that had 165 last year, and could have 165 this year, may go back to 154 (ish) and save some money.  Every little bit saved helps and does show some fiscal restraint/responsibility.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

According to Sondheim: "It's a theater reference meaning "if the show isn't going well, let's send in the clowns"; in other words, "let's do the jokes." I always want to know, when I'm writing a song, what the end is going to be, so "Send in the Clowns" didn't settle in until I got the notion, "Don't bother, they're here", which means that "We are the fools."

Very appropriate for SCV. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, resipsaloquitur said:

Less wheels on the road translates into big logistical cost reduction. 

Are folks paying attention to their scalable capacity limitations?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Richard Lesher said:

Very appropriate for SCV. 

It's more efficient and more poetic than other descriptions available when I marched...

‘The Way’

The tradition, philosophies, and inside protocol of being a Santa Clara Vanguard

Presence

1. No swearing in your uniform at all. This is out of respect for the people who wore the uniform before you and did the same thing. They are watching you all the time.
  2. No signs of affection in uniform. You may walk arm in arm, and that is all. You have plenty of time away from the corps to do what you need to do.
  3. Don’t swear in your corps jacket around [sic] other SCV people. When you wear your jacket, like your uniform, you are wearing everyone involved with the corps past and present. When you say thing it is often difficult to know who you are around. The walls have ears. Show respect for the star on the front of your jacket. There are people who have died and been buried waring that star.
  4. When you put your jacket down on the ground. Do not throw it down. Take the time and the pride to fold it neatly and lay it somewhere safe, where it won’t be stepped on or STOLEN. Fold your corps jacket with the SCV Star showing, it matters NOT what your name is, you’re a Santa Clara Vanguard.
  5. Do not Smoke, or Drink in your Jacket EVER! What you do on your own time is your business, take your SCV stuff off and leave me out of it. When you smoke at the hall, it is a basic rule of thumb to go off corps property.
  6. Never ever spit on the field of honor. (The Field of honor refers to any field you march on) You are spitting on me, you and all your friends. The field is your stage, it is good to you, lets you march on it, and do what you love.
  7. Never pick your Aussie up by the rim. It will bend, and it is disrespectful. Always hold is [sic] level in your left hand and be proud to carry it.
  8. Be courteous to people when with the corps. They will remember you long after you have forgotten them.
  9. NEVER ever litter! A true Santa Clara Vanguard knows how to take care of themselves, clean up after themselves, and leave things cleaner than how they found them. IF there is trash left from the corps on the field, it is your responsibility as a SCV to pick it up and throw it away. Swallow your pride a little bit, humble yourselves and do what’s right.
  10. You are the to thank the parents that feed you on tour and at camps. Thank every one of them as a matter of habit every time you receive food from them.
  11. The things you do in private with your friends are you business. When around other than SCV people conduct yourself in a matter with which upholds the name Santa Clara Vanguard.

Responsibilities as a corps member

1. RUN! SCV is known for being a very intense and hard working corps. Run to your sets because they mean something to you. Run because you want to make it better the next time around. Run because that’s ‘The Way’.
  2. Know when talking is appropriate on the field. If there is any question of that in your mind than [sic] keep your mouth shut.
  3. If you have a serious problem with an instructor, take it to your drum major. If harsh language is your problem, join the real world and GET OVER IT! You are not always going to be patted on the back and told how great you are in your lives to come. If there is one thing the corps will teach you, it is how to perform under pressure. Rise above; listen to the message, not the words.
  4. When you receive a correction, it is to be fixed forever by the next rehearsal. That means if you get a comment before lunch, you take part of your lunch break and fix it. You have a bigger responsibility to the corps than you will ever have to lunch. You owe it to yourself, you fellow members, and your predecessors. If you receive a comment more than once, YOU’RE WRONG.

Practice what you preach or KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!

“I can’t” is not even in your vocabulary. “I can’t” is the weakest thing a person could possibly say, and is unacceptable in the corps. Thousands of years ago the ancient Egyptians built the great pyramids. The mystique, awe, and utter greatness of that accomplishment is mammoth, and to this day baffles everyone that studies them. Though there is some question as to where the technology came from to build these works, it is certain that will power built the pyramids. Will power will enable you to accomplish things you didn’t ever know you were capable of. The power if human spirit goes well beyond what your experiences have led you to believe. I can = I will = I did.

‘The Way’ as an approach to rehearsal on a higher level.

1. Never be afraid. Whether it be push-ups, one more run through, a new venue, cleaning, new drill, or new music, face every challenge with enthusiasm and zeal. When you conquer the challenge at hand, you will know true triumph and happiness in your heart and in your being.
  2. Take all criticism (positive and negative) to heart and as your own. This is your corps. When the staff gets after you, it’s not because they enjoy being jerks. It’s because they want you to be better than they were. You are the one of the field now and we all know that no one (especially you) enjoys a performance that sucks.
  3. Have the hearts and pride of a champion. The judges, the crowd and other corps, may not give you the recognition you deserve so put out to you maximum potential at all times and no matter what your score reads, you will be a champion. Feel it and know it your heart and mind.
  4. Approach all you perform with passion. If you can not be passionate about what you’re doing. You will never feel complete. Passion supports all emotion!!

INTEGRITY: Doing what you feel in your heart is right, even if you think no one is watching.

THE STANDARD: Similar to ‘The Way’ the SCV Standard is reaching far beyond what you feel possible. The Standard you set today is obsolete tomorrow. ‘The Standard’ goes hand in hand with ‘The Way.’

HUMBLE: On the field performing you can be as cocky, as brash, and as aggressive as your show requires. Off the field you are to be polite, and congenial while representing SCV. Being proud is encouraged, being rude and self serving is forbidden.

PRIDE: Contrary to some conventional wisdom, having pride in one’s self is not a moral crime. Being proud of what you do and standing a little taller has no negative value in itself. Pride should be practice in harmony with humbleness. Hence the once said ‘humble pride.’

FOCUS: At times this activity will be chaotic. It is at these times when your rehearsed attention to detail and what you are doing will manifest itself positively or negatively. The more focus you rehearse with, the better your performing experience will be; and the better and faster you will recover from errors. Focus goes hand in hand with intensity.

INTENSITY: Intensity is not an ugly face. It is the way you approach what you do. It is an approach with vigor. It is an aggressive approach that could be deemed intimidating. The eyes are the window to the mind and the soul. Your eyes speak volumes about what you are feeling in the present. Normally the more focus you have, the more intense you are.

COMMITMENT: Commitment is a word largely thrown around by our sensationalist American media. When you are committed to something, your life should resemble that. When you join SCV, you are essentially married to the corps for the summer. You are married to the corps and have a commitment to learn you drill, master your music, polish you approach, and be at rehearsal. If you don’t learn your share, and drag your feet, your marriage will fail, and your summer will be lost. Marriage is not a part time job!!

CHAMPION: A Champion is not necessarily a person who has the highest score in the end. Many people have gone through SCV and left their unforgettable mark on the hearts of the people whose lives they touched without ever winning a trophy. A true champion is a champion in the heart. A champion with no heart is not a champion at all.

‘The Way’

‘The Way’ is much broader than what I have listed here. These are some SCV traditions that will lead you down the thoroughfare to ‘The Way.’ ‘The Way’ is an approach to life and what you do that you adopt [sic] while in the corps, and it will do nothing but help you when you apply it to life out of the corps. There is always more to learn about ‘The Way’ .  This basic guide line only provides you with some traditions that SCV has acquired and passed down through the years. The Zen philosophy of ‘The Way’ is never in reality understood by every member of the corps. It is just understood by those members that open their hearts, minds, and bodies to it. Of those people, different people will take different amounts of time to gain understanding of it. Even then, they will learn something new everyday. Just as long as you’re making the effort to learn and giving 110% to the corps, you are on the right track. Never quit, take what you learn here, and apply it to your life. Once you have done that, you will be on your way to ‘The Way’.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Richard Lesher said:

Less wheels on the road translates into big logistical cost reduction. 

Are folks paying attention to their scalable capacity limitations?

I agree, but the issue isn’t busses (3 seems standard).  It is the number of semi- and other trailers.  If Corps could cut a semi or 2, less rental & fuel cost.  And that could save $$.  

• Like 1