Per the California Attorney General Vanguard is operating illegally as a non profit

On 5/30/2023 at 12:07 PM, cixelsyd said:

No... voting power is another one of those things that flow preferentially to the top.  Even world-class status is not enough... it takes 2 or 3 years of operating successfully in WC before a corps gets full membership and the voting rights that go with it.  

That's a very good point, and that's just not fair. Every single corps should have equal input in what happens with the activity. It's so geared towards having the top corps have the power to keep the lower corps down. Even pro sports have policies in place that help prevent this. That's because they care for the sport/league as a whole and not just the Yankees, Patriots or Warriors. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/29/2023 at 11:36 AM, IllianaLancerContra said:

And when it implodes, DCI (the Corps) will have no one to blame but themselves. 

I think we are there. Honestly, I'm NOT one of those old fogies who is against change. I loved what we've seen with changes in the uniforms, and the inclusion of props, and the Bb horns, and even the modern visuals (although I don't like them as much as those great drills we got in the past from Cavies, Star and Garfield), but I do miss how much more musical it was back then. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Bluecoats runs throughout their 2019 show and the cool stuff they did in 2022, but I miss the musicality. 2019 Bluecoats was hands down my favorite show of the year, but to me some of the Beatles music was sacrificed at the hands of having to make it so difficult to get awarded by the judges. I'm sorry, but Lennon and McCartney are far better composers, orchestrators and arrangers than the Bluecoats design team. But, it was one hell of a cool show.

Edited by DudleytheWest
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 8:35 PM, Bruckner8 said:

Wow. So much for the KISS principle. When I marched SCV (1984), the only conceptual dogma about being SCV was “Excellence is a Choice,” and it wasn’t written down.

Literally everything else followed from that. It was LIFE.

Granted, I do recall common sense vet discussions about behavior in uniform, but again, never written down. I just thought “duh” and moved on. Silliest to me was no running in uniform lol. Ok, ok, I’ll just quickly “low walk” (legit technique BITD). 

Just need to say cool handle. I prefer the 7th to the 8th, but the 8th is #### good. I should have made my handle Beethoven9, Beethoven6, Beethoven7, Beethoven5, Beethoven3 or Schubert8, Schubert4, or Schubert9, or Mozart40 🙂

Edited by DudleytheWest
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, DudleytheWest said:

That's a very good point, and that's just not fair. Every single corps should have equal input in what happens with the activity. It's so geared towards having the top corps have the power to keep the lower corps down. Even pro sports have policies in place that help prevent this. That's because they care for the sport/league as a whole and not just the Yankees, Patriots or Warriors. 

it's been that way since 1972

On 5/31/2023 at 6:04 PM, TRacer said:

Ah yes, the “let’s give away the title” memorial run because someone failed at their ONE job— keeping track of time. The ‘82 vets around me definitely swore in uniform when GR’s voice shrieked over the walkie-talkie. Hilarious times…not. 

Well, you killed it in finals. Hands down my favorite show of '84, followed by Garfield, Regiment and Scouts. 

• Thanks 1

well here's my take...this is kind of the reverse of the Cadets in 18. abusive behaviors reported without anonimity blew the doors down, an then later financial issues came to light. here we have finanicial issues coming to light, while tons of anonymous rumors of toxic and abusive behaviors.

• Like 1