When one judge calls the show

24 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

The recovery is the key. And that was the best recovery I’ve seen a bass drummer do

I don't disagree that the recovery was great, but are you really maxing out achievement if you make the mistake in the first place?

Edited by ContraFart

6 minutes ago, resipsaloquitur said:

You yourself said many times on here that at no time during the entire competition did anyone else fall. Why do you think that is if designers are telling performers to fall and trip all over the place?

Of course not, don't erect a straw man.

I am saying how absurd the judging sheets are by even allowing the thought of purposely falling. 

I get it, in reality the recovery means more than the mistake. I just fundamentally disagree with that premise. Sure a great recovery can mitigate a mistake, but to erase the mistake and maybe even reward the mistake because the sheets specifically mention recovery is absurd 

Edited by ContraFart

1 hour ago, ContraFart said:

Which means the actual number means nothing.

What do you want the number to “mean”?

Just using BD as the example since their 14 score was the highest so far in DCI, what do you want a 99.65 to mean? To me, it just shows that is was a ridiculously designed and performed show, which it was and is all that number represents. All 0.35 pts they lost came in the music captions. All 4 GE and all 3 visual judges scored them as 20. But you can watch the show and find mistakes that were made in the visual captions but I have absolutely zero issues with their score and actually agree completely with them just because the design and performance level was that high that even the mistakes couldn’t bring the number down.

• Like 1

Maybe they should add wording like “For all intents and purposes, a 10.1 in a caption is defined as a perfect score” and keep the upper range limit for a judge to adjudicate to 10.0.

Then maybe we’ll be done with this argument for a while.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jaylogan said:

Maybe they should add wording like “For all intents and purposes, a 10.1 in a caption is defined as a perfect score” and keep the upper range limit for a judge to adjudicate to 10.0.

Then maybe we’ll be done with this argument for a while.

And we could use amplifiers that go to 11.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, wilme861 said:

What do you want the number to “mean”?

Just using BD as the example since their 14 score was the highest so far in DCI, what do you want a 99.65 to mean? To me, it just shows that is was a ridiculously designed and performed show, which it was and is all that number represents. All 0.35 pts they lost came in the music captions. All 4 GE and all 3 visual judges scored them as 20. But you can watch the show and find mistakes that were made in the visual captions but I have absolutely zero issues with their score and actually agree completely with them just because the design and performance level was that high that even the mistakes couldn’t bring the number down.

I want the number to mean the value it says it is, and that value to be relatively equivalent from competition to competition. 

Right now all I am hearing is that the numbers are based off of management and that they are withheld until the end so they can be changed after the fact. To me that is not judging the show in front of you. That is putting a number in place of an ordinal. 

So by that definition, the 99.65 is irrelevant because it could have been simply a case of the 12 place corps being given a number that was too high which either made the spreads tighter, or caused you to run out of room at the top so you are automatically maxing out a score sheet. 

The fact that nobody seems to understand why I believe this is bad baffles me 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, skevinp said:

That’s why Neil Armstrong didn’t say “One small trip for a man, one giant face plant for mankind.”

This gets my vote for funniest quote of the year. It may even get a 20 on my sheet. That will stand as the top number (in my judgement as Adjudicator of the Quote Caption at this contest) until or unless a better one arrives by Dec. 31st., at which time someone else's phrase may get that 20.

This does not mean either is "perfect". There is no "perfect", little Grasshopper. Numbers are only relevant (and relative) to other numbers, whether Roman or Arabic, and in some alternate universe perhaps 3.14 is the ultimate standard.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Which means the actual number means nothing.

It’s a rating. Just like an A in school 

10 hours ago, ContraFart said:

I don't disagree that the recovery was great, but are you really maxing out achievement if you make the mistake in the first place?

It’s not a tear down system anymore. What part of that aren’t you getting? The N, the O or the T in not?

• Thanks 1