2023 Blue Stars

5 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Some people last night made it sound like half 😅

They don't know what they are talking about. 

Some people are just trying to justify this historic rise the Mandarins are on, so they are using SCV as the reason, and completely ignoring the fact that the Mandarins have been putting in the work and building this thing over the last several years. 

What would shock people, is how many of these Mandarins kids marched Open Class last year. 

If anything the Mandarins took advantage of SCVC, and Gold as they got quite a few kids from those two corps, and a bunch from BDB.

When me and my wife attended Mandarins family day last month, it was like a Gold family reunion lol. We saw so many Gold parents from last year, who like our boy, their kids make the trek up north to Sacramento. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Chief Guns said:

Some people are just trying to justify this historic rise the Mandarins are on, so they are using SCV as the reason, and completely ignoring the fact that the Mandarins have been putting in the work and building this thing over the last several years. 

What would shock people, is how many of these Mandarins kids marched Open Class last year. 

If anything the Mandarins took advantage of SCVC, and Gold as they got quite a few kids from those two corps, and a bunch from BDB.

When me and my wife attended Mandarins family day last month, it was like a Gold family reunion lol. We saw so many Gold parents from last year, who like our boy, their kids make the trek up north to Sacramento. 

It’s always great to hear about the corps who go about building the right way. I am a huge Mandy fan this year

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

I mean Gold IMO is the biggest glo up story I've seen since I've started watching drum corps. I've been waiting for those financials to be ready and match their winter groups and come out world. California has so much going for it in the marching arts that it's hard to not have amazing successful groups. Like how many open class groups are there, how many indoor drumlines scholastic and independent are there, and how many winter guards? They are year round just making people better. Midwest all together has RCR and Colt Cadets(and you know where they go).  

Another thing is almost all Midwest groups are targeting the same area - Indianapolis.  Yeah they have satellite camps but primarily pulling from the same main area.

I won't lie I thought last year's mandarins show was a flop compared to some prior years and didn't know what to expect. I won't sit there and critique every little thing they do because I'm not giving them a score 🤣 but who would have thought that the 2 div 2 and 3 groups would be sitting in finals now? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

I was thinking that Mandarins might have benefited from some first-time World Class auditioners trying out for and going to Mandarins with there being no competition from SCV.  If there are MMs like that, they are having a different but as amazing or more experience with Mandarins this summer!

If SCV makes it back, and I pray they do, it will be interesting to see where, in their first years back,  they finish versus Mandarins, who have a wonderful staff and strong cadre of MMs that will only attract great talent going forward.

• Like 1

I love Mandarins, but this is a Blue Stars thread, and I love Blue Stars! Tough to see where they are placing but I really like the show, which is hugely ambitious and off-beat. Have faith and keep working, everyone! This will read beautifully if you get it clean.

12 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I won't lie I thought last year's mandarins show was a flop compared to some prior years and didn't know what to expect. I won't sit there and critique every little thing they do because I'm not giving them a score 🤣 but who would have thought that the 2 div 2 and 3 groups would be sitting in finals now? 

You mean like Blue Stars? 🫠

31 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

It’s always great to hear about the corps who go about building the right way. I am a huge Mandy fan this year

Just to add: I think JW deserves a lot of credit

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lawdn said:

I love Mandarins, but this is a Blue Stars thread, and I love Blue Stars! Tough to see where they are placing but I really like the show, which is hugely ambitious and off-beat. Have faith and keep working, everyone! This will read beautifully if you get it clean.

I wasn't trying to hijack the thread. I was commenting to what was said. 

And I love what BS is doing. Preseason I commented that they were my dark horse to crack top five. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chief Guns said:

I wasn't trying to hijack the thread. I was commenting to what was said. 

And I love what BS is doing. Preseason I commented that they were my dark horse to crack top five. 

It is all good. Thread jumping happens when there is genuine respect and interest in other corps and sharing the experiences of different corps in different years. I just got lost as to where I was 😂 and needed to show Blue Stars some love to rectify my mistake. 

• Like 1