2023 Drums

42 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

My dad's set was like that.  When he finally sold it moving to senior living the collector who bought it was SUPER excited about it.  He still had calfskin heads on some of them too.

Mine came with calfskin heads on the kick drum. Interesting set with a really big sound. I also loved the cabana kits. 

31 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

When Ludwig introduced their legacy Series a few years ago at NAMM, they offered a "Vintage Marine Pearl" as well as "White Marine".  Also see the "Aged Onyx" as it looks like it's seen a lot of club smoke. 😂

Here's a link to the Legacy finishes:

https://www.ludwig-drums.com/en-us/ludwig/products/drumkits/legacy-mahogany  

That aged onyx is interesting. For a very short time, there was a blue marine pearl which almost immediately changed the name to that onyx color. For the life of me I can't  remember if they used the onyx name. A blue marine pearl with black hardware would look AMAZING on marching percussion. I also wish Ludwig would go back to the super sensitive snare strainer for concert snares. Fantastic concert strainer.

Hard to imagine that I fall into the "legacy" range of drums lol. 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2023 at 10:42 AM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I want to see ONE CORPS do a magnificent champagne sparkle or better yet white marine pearl. Even if it only lasted a week, the old school nod would be amazing. I haven't seen champagne sparkle since SCV 1985. We marched white marine pearl in 87' but I haven't seen it since. 

Here you go, 2017 Troopers! 

140688a9baf9d925dc2363c90522ac6f.jpg

• Like 2

I've seen them up close.  They are kind of a white woodgrain, and match the deck planking on the top surface of the props.

26 minutes ago, craiga said:

I've seen them up close.  They are kind of a white woodgrain, and match the deck planking on the top surface of the props.

Very cool.  The 'silk ripple' pattern is similar to the 'oyster' pattern but seems to be a little tighter grain.  (The 'black oyster' wrap was made famous by Ringo Starr with The Beatles.)  Sorry to 'geek out' over drum wraps. 😁 

• Haha 1

Btw, I'm not certain the Boston drums are wrapped.  I ran my fingers over one of the tenors and they have texture to them which feels like real wood.  They may be actually woodgrain, but I didn't look close enough to be sure.

34 minutes ago, craiga said:

Btw, I'm not certain the Boston drums are wrapped.  I ran my fingers over one of the tenors and they have texture to them which feels like real wood.  They may be actually woodgrain, but I didn't look close enough to be sure.

I would guess it is a wrap. I've not ever known Pearl to do really elaborate lacquer finishes. I know it can be done because I have a Tama drum set done in the Ocean Blue Ripple lacquer that would a be a similar style as these Pearl. With that being said, a good lacquer finish on a drum will still be smooth to the touch.

15 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

I would guess it is a wrap. I've not ever known Pearl to do really elaborate lacquer finishes. I know it can be done because I have a Tama drum set done in the Ocean Blue Ripple lacquer that would a be a similar style as these Pearl. With that being said, a good lacquer finish on a drum will still be smooth to the touch.

You're probably right.