2023 Drums

Boston is playing on their brand new drums, but they have them covered so I've got nothing....m

12 hours ago, hughesmr said:

And the mid-70s, when SCV marched copper Slingerlands for several consecutive years.

I actually have a few drums worth of the Slingerland white marine pearl covering somewhere upstairs. Ward Wilson (Punkinator Drums formerly Wilson Customs) and I bought some after the factory fire if I remember correctly. Very different from the oyster pearl that Ludwig used. I think the Glassmen used the black oyster pearl one season. 

The drums now are simply gorgeous.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I actually have a few drums worth of the Slingerland white marine pearl covering somewhere upstairs. Ward Wilson (Punkinator Drums formerly Wilson Customs) and I bought some after the factory fire if I remember correctly. Very different from the oyster pearl that Ludwig used. I think the Glassmen used the black oyster pearl one season. 

The drums now are simply gorgeous.

Former brass player here....what does "white marine pearl" look like?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, craiga said:

I have a hard time trying to load pictures so had to YouTube.  I think the White Marine Pearl was made famous by Buddy Rich's original kits.  It would also darken (yellow hue) especially if you played gigs in smoky clubs. Beautiful covering.  

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2023 at 9:34 AM, craiga said:

It's  supposed to imitate oyster shell. There was also a black marine pearl. I would think they go back to at least the 30's when laminate became a thing. Slingerland used a "small fleck" version where the pattern was smaller and tighter.

Slingerland_WMP_20_12_14_1970s19.JPG

Keystones image in his post is a good example of the Ludwig version. Regular, long strips or bands of pattern with some pretty clear horizontal lines.

The black marine pearl from Ludwig was different than either of the other two. 

gfhaaxq3nwezmse1oezu.jpg

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 9:53 AM, keystone3ply said:

I have a hard time trying to load pictures so had to YouTube.  I think the White Marine Pearl was made famous by Buddy Rich's original kits.  It would also darken (yellow hue) especially if you played gigs in smoky clubs. Beautiful covering.  

That's  very true Keystone. I have a late 50's Radio King 4 piece club kit. I know it's  a Buddy Rich model because the Gene Krupa versions during that time were silver sparkle. The kick drum is massive (24".) It is, indeed, very yellowed lol. 

• Like 1

My dad's set was like that.  When he finally sold it moving to senior living the collector who bought it was SUPER excited about it.  He still had calfskin heads on some of them too.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

That's  very true Keystone. I have a late 50's Radio King 4 piece club kit. I know it's  a Buddy Rich model because the Gene Krupa versions during that time were silver sparkle. The kick drum is massive (24".) It is, indeed, very yellowed lol. 

When Ludwig introduced their legacy Series a few years ago at NAMM, they offered a "Vintage Marine Pearl" as well as "White Marine".  Also see the "Aged Onyx" as it looks like it's seen a lot of club smoke. 😂

Here's a link to the Legacy finishes:

https://www.ludwig-drums.com/en-us/ludwig/products/drumkits/legacy-mahogany  

• Like 1