2023 Daily Run Down

July 16 Rundown

Blue Devils B, Golden Empire, Impulse, Vessel, and Blue Devils C concluded their seasons at this show. Gold will now spend a week traveling across the country to its next show in Fairfield, Connecticut on July 23.

July 17 Preview

Canyon, TX

The closest competitive corps seeing each other in this show from a placement perspective are Pacific Crest (12th) and Blue Knights (13th). The Academy (16th) is actually closer to Blue Knights (0.700 points) than Blue Knights are to Pacific Crest (2.000 points).

Olathe, KS

There aren't any two corps within two points of each other in this show so it is mostly about seeing how each corps does against its own previous score.

TK9UCKI.png

• Like 2

July 17 Rundown

Canyon,TX
Blue Knights used every hundredth of a point of its gain and the score decrease of Pacific Crest to move ahead in the battle for the 12th spot. 

Olathe, KS
No big moves in this show. Modest score increases and even two modest score decreases for the Colts' organization.

July 18 Preview

Abilene, TX

The excitement is in the race for finals here. Pacific Crest, The Academy, and Spirit of Atlanta are all more or less within striking distance of that spot and certainly want to send a message to the other corps in this grouping.

Broken Arrow, OK
This is the main event of the season to this point with seven of the current top eight in direct competition. The Blue Devils put up a 1.500 point margin over Boston Crusaders three days ago. When Boston last saw Bluecoats and Carolina Crown on July 5th, those two corps were 0.100 and 0.400 points ahead respectively. If those spreads were in place tonight, Blue Devils would over a one point margin over its next closest competitor. Heading into the first regional, all three corps want to put some pressure on the California standard bearer.

DNZi63N.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Going by the numbers, It looks like Mandarins are closer to Bloo and Crown than they are to BD.  Can’t wait for tonight.  

Given that Bloo and Crown are both below BD, and Mandarins are below Bloo and Crown, it is axiomatic that Mandarins are closer to Bloo and Crown than they are below BD.  Not sure what you comment means.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

Given that Bloo and Crown are both below BD, and Mandarins are below Bloo and Crown, it is axiomatic that Mandarins are closer to Bloo and Crown than they are below BD.  Not sure what you comment means.

I thought What I said was simple and clear.  Others had made similar comments about other corps position through numbers, as I’m sure you know.  Maybe it means that when people believe they are closer to one corps above them using scores to gauge that, they also should recognize the same is true for corps behind them. So a simple comparison was made. Axiomatically speaking.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I thought What I said was simple and clear.  Others had made similar comments about other corps position through numbers, as I’m sure you know.  Maybe it means that when people believe they are closer to one corps above them using scores to gauge that, they also should recognize the same is true for corps behind them. So a simple comparison was made. Axiomatically speaking.

I may have mis-understood you.  When you said "they" I assumed you were talking about the Mandarins which was the subject of the statement, but if the "they" referred to Bloo and Crown, I mis-understood you and would agree with you.  Sorry if I mis-understood.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, PamahoNow said:

I may have mis-understood you.  When you said "they" I assumed you were talking about the Mandarins which was the subject of the statement, but if the "they" referred to Bloo and Crown, I mis-understood you and would agree with you.  Sorry if I mis-understood.

Sorry.  I could have been a bit clearer.  Apologies.

• Like 1

July 18 Rundown

Abilene, TX

Pacific Crest made a statement that it is at a level above the Spirit of Atlanta and The Academy and, potentially, other corps in the heated race for the last finalist spot. In their first head-to-head match-up, Spirit of Atlanta established itself as clearly ahead of The Academy in that same battle.

Broken Arrow, OK

The only surprise on the night was Phantom Regiment pulling out of the show. Remarkably, the first clash from corps across the country led to placements exactly as they were coming in. Blue Devils broke 90 for the first time, a few day before Blue Devils and Carolina Crown broke 90 together on July 22, 2022. Blue Devils hold a 1.550 point lead over second place Boston Crusaders. The latter corps is in a very close battle with Bluecoats and Carolina Crown with all three separated by just 0.800 points. 

The Cadets (2.200) and Blue Stars (2.100) put up the greatest score increases. Both corps were in competition for the first time since July 15th. Interestingly, Blue Devils and Boston Crusaders came in from the same previous show and put up nearly identical score increases (0.850 and 0.800 respectively). The same is true for Bluecoats and Carolina Crown (1.950 and 1.900 respectively). 

July 20 Preview

Austin, TX

The main intrigue here continues to be the corps vying for a finalist spot. Blue Knights (13th), Spirit of Atlanta (14th), The Academy (17th), and Music City (19th) are all within three points of another heading into this contest.

Denton, TX

Here, all eyes are on the 2-4 spots with some secondary attention paid to whether Crossmen and/or Madison Scouts can close the gap with Pacific Crest in head-to-head competition for that last finalist position.

EiIbjs6.png

• Like 2

July 20 Rundown

Austin, TX

There were no placement changes, however there were several 2+ point score increases. Guardians improved by 2.150, Madison Scouts  by 2.350, and Phantom Regiment by 2.450.

Denton, TX

Boston Crusaders became the second corps to break 90, one show day earlier than a second corps broke 90 last year. Carolina Crown moved back into the lead over Bluecoats by a 0.100 margin. Madison Scouts caught back up to Crossmen with a tie score after Crossmen took the lead in the two corps' last match-up.

July 21 Preview

Dover, PA

This is the first DCI competitive appearance for Jersey Surf, Les Stentors, and Raiders. Columbians will be the only corps awaiting its competitive debut (June 28th).

Houston, TX

The Bluecoats-Carolina Crown match-up continues, this time with Blue Devils in the mix instead of Boston Crusaders.

tx1ZST2.png

• Like 1

You do great work, but this all means very little (NOT a dig on you by any means!) until San Antonio when one slate of judges evaluates the corps. Slotting will have an impact in the 18-13 range and since those corps are changing positions nightly in different shows there's no clear leader in that pack. Saturday afternoon and night will be the first reality check for everyone. Woo hoo!!