DCI Corps at the Crest - San Diego 2023

8 minutes ago, lawdn said:

I have been pretty down about drum corps since that news broke, and it is still hitting hard. Going to Stanford this year with no SCV or SCVC on the field will be another shock. 

I'm going too. There are still quite a few seats available and I wonder how much not having SCV/C there is a factor. 

• Sad 3

The ghost of SCV hanged high today in Vista. It felt good to have drum corp back but something was missing and that was SCV! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, DrumManTx said:

Been waiting for someone to do Cody Fry.  

I love him, he shouted BD out on Tiktok recently too 

• Like 5

Watching on Flo Mandarins really impressed.  Can’t wait to see them live. Those guys keep getting a little better every year. That’s going to be one of my favorites this year. 

BD as always was strong. Their horn line  is smokin this year.  They have the most distinctive sound of any corps. Love the sound of BD brass. 

I miss SCV, but Mandarins and BD are still representing the west coast well. 

• Like 7

I’m late (friends dragged me out to go drinking) but IMO—

Mandarins made a BIG statement tonight and are going to have an amazing season, way ahead of where they started in 2021/2 and they were fantastic those years. Also: they are LOUD. Iconic. 

PC looked and sounded great. I’d love to see them in the finals conversation this year. Also: cool theme, IMO. 

My BDs did good! As everyone has noticed, the stretch after the ballad needs some work. I’m hoping they do more with Incident in Jazz, but that may be because their take on it so resembles 2010 (one of my fav ever shows)  minus the big band blowout section from that year; it feels incomplete. And the ballad — gorgeous as it is — feels slightly rushed to me right now. I think the guard is admirably ambitious and they should be, they’re too good not to push it. I will say that BD always starts with a skeleton of a show and I can’t remember the last time they had a skeleton that was this fleshed out. Even just tracking how much has changed since Wyoming showoff and family day, it’s crazy how much they’ve layered this show already. Since even a rehearsal in Camarillo only a couple days ago! I think this is a corps that deliberately responds to competition and judge critiques, and given how competitive the other top 3 are already, that can only mean great things. 

Can’t wait to watch the rest after drinking a lot of water, some B12, a little excedrin, and some prayer that I wake up without a headache.  til then! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CAtenhut said:

I'm going too. There are still quite a few seats available and I wonder how much not having SCV/C there is a factor. 

Not making the hike up to Stanford for the first time since 2008 because of the absence of SCV/SCVC 😢. Bought some merch on their website to support the corps tho. And will be at the Rose Bowl on Saturday to support west coast drum corps, but the heartbreak is real. 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, spacewill said:

no way BD was 6 points better than Mandarins....just ridiculous!

Want an example of slotting just look at the Mandarins situation. They were not competing against the Blue Devils but against the scores already posted by Phantom, Blue Stars, Cavaliers and The Cadets.  Blue Knight,s will be slotted in once they arrive on West Coast.  Bluecoats will be slotted in on Wednesday when Boston gets to Cincinnati.  West Coast corps will be slotted until Fort Collins when Boston gets there. For the corps (Crossmen, Genesis and Spirit of Atlanta) yet to complete they get slotted in on July 8th.  This is what is caused by the imbalances in the regions. Mandarins spread with Blue Devils may increase.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dcifanforlife said:

Want an example of slotting just look at the Mandarins situation. They were not competing against the Blue Devils but against the scores already posted by Phantom, Blue Stars, Cavaliers and The Cadets.  Blue Knight,s will be slotted in once they arrive on West Coast.  Bluecoats will be slotted in on Wednesday when Boston gets to Cincinnati.  West Coast corps will be slotted until Fort Collins when Boston gets there. For the corps (Crossmen, Genesis and Spirit of Atlanta) yet to complete they get slotted in on July 8th.  This is what is caused by the imbalances in the regions. Mandarins spread with Blue Devils may increase.

Here comes the slots (do do do-din); here comes the slo-otts. ($0.02 to George Harrison). 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra