Drums Across the Desert - July 3, 2023

1 minute ago, spacewill said:

Do you know if the MESA show is on real grass or field turf?  This is an instance where real grass would be way better as field turf emanates the heat!!!

:shrug:  

I'd bet on artificial turf though.  The amount of water to keep grass alive out there is probably prohibitive for a community college.

11 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

They did a standstill for heat somewhere last year I remember.  

Also I remember all the discussion about "what is the wet bulb level" rather than just temp or even heat index/"feels like" as a better measure for what is safe for outdoor activity and how often hydration breaks should be given, etc.  

I'll leave it to the meteorologists to explain that though as it took me some time to sort of grasp on to what that is exactly and whether you could find it/calculate it easily for a location given what we get in weather information now.

Dew point, humidity levels, heat index can all be good indicators of safe levels and not. I’m not a meteorologist by any means, but from my constant revisiting of the topic with me being fascinated by the field as a kid, from my basic understanding, the higher the combined dew point/humidity, can  both make the heat index skyrocket, add to the insufferable conditions of the heat and make the body’s cool down mechanisms(sweat, etc.) less effective.

Edited by Vidal28Rdg

4 minutes ago, spacewill said:

Do you know if the MESA show is on real grass or field turf?  This is an instance where real grass would be way better as field turf emanates the heat!!!

Unless they changed it in the last couple years, it is real grass.

3 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

Dew point, humidity levels, heat index can all be good indicators of safe levels and not. I’m not a meteorologist by any means, but from my constant revisiting of the topic with me being fascinated by the field as a kid, from my basic understanding, the higher the combined dew point/humidity, can add to the insufferable conditions of the heat and make the body’s cool down mechanisms(sweat, etc.) less effective.

Yeah that's always been my armchair interest take on it as well.  But we were getting a fascinating clinic on WBT measures for measuring human habitability from the meteorologists last year that piqued my interest.  There was something about it being more accurate than the heat indexing as a means of putting humidity into the equation.  As it had a way of considering the angle and intensity of the sun.   

It made intuitive sense to me as when I travel to Africa I'm closer to the equator and the angle of the sun is different.  I can burn stupid easy there in temp/humidity conditions I don't typically burn in back here in the US.  

6 minutes ago, AMarcher said:

Unless they changed it in the last couple years, it is real grass.

I lose my bet!  

45 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

One would think that Levi Stadium would be an improvement.....NOT!!! Terrible planning for this stadium. 

Traffic is better. But other than that, I must agree with you. 

Ooh!

https://digital.mdl.nws.noaa.gov/

has a drop down for WBGT estimates.

its telling me 86 for Mesa.

And NWS has Kansas's State guidelines for football and outdoor practice 

KSHSAA_Levels.png

Looks they. could do it but...its high.  Hopefully less by 8:30 as the sun will be setting. 

The risk here is less the show itself I suspect and more the practice conditions during the day followed by the demand of the show.

Edited by KVG_DC