Drums Across the Desert - July 3, 2023

19 minutes ago, brassboy said:

Rose Bowl was SUPPOSED to be this past weekend, but a sudden scheduling conflict for the facility threw it all off. Rather than finding a new location, Rose Bowl moved to the following Saturday, which bumped Stanford to Sunday, which in turn bumped Sacramento to Monday. It was a real scheduling 💩-fest

Also the Vista show got moved from June 30th to July 1st. 

But the good news was that this conflict allowed the Academy to perform in San Bernardino. I believe the original schedule, Academy wasn't going there. And it also brought the Blue Knights to Pasadena on the 8th. Original schedule, BK would not have performed at the Rose Bowl this upcoming Saturday. 

So there was some good that came from all this. 

• Like 2

Just now, IllianaLancerContra said:

And apparently there are zero other stadiums in the north Los Angeles area where the show could be moved to so as to minimize travel impact.  

UCSB hosted a show in 2009 ( I think it was 09). I remember because the Bluecoats toured CA that time. I went to it and made it a tiny vacation. It was near the time Michael Jackson died. I remember because we stayed at a Marriott near Solvang and it was filled up with press people because his ranch is nearby.

15 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

SoFi Stadium but the cost to hold that would probably bankrupt DCI.

Now that I think of it, in 2013 DCI held a show at Mt. Sac, the year Crown came out west. 

And i believe Mt. Sac was also in 2012 too, I remember seeing Turandot there as well. 

It wasn't a bad venue at all. At least in my opinion. 

Use to go there when i ran track in high school for Track & Field Meets. 

• Like 1

The LA area show was at a variety of places pre-2007.  I know I went to shows at Azusa Pacific (Azusa/Glendora) as well as Mt. San Antonio College (Walnut). It just seems like DCI (and/or Pacific Crest) latched on to the Rose Bowl in the years following 2007 finals as a premier (easily recognized) location.  If I recall, the first (non-finals) show they did there was a tie-in with the 4th of July fireworks at the Rose Bowl in an attempt to attract fans that might not have been exposed to drum corps previously. I was not a fan as a spectator in 2007 and would choose another location if given the chance.

1 minute ago, brassboy said:

Start time for the show has been pushed back to 8:30pm. 

With that heat, they need to push it back to 3:30am. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I guess the question I don't know the answer to is isn't there another stadium they could use or is rose bowl special? IIRC it was hot garbage in 2007

The Rose Bowl IS special. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dansize said:

The LA area show was at a variety of places pre-2007.  I know I went to shows at Azusa Pacific (Azusa/Glendora) as well as Mt. San Antonio College (Walnut). It just seems like DCI (and/or Pacific Crest) latched on to the Rose Bowl in the years following 2007 finals as a premier (easily recognized) location.  If I recall, the first (non-finals) show they did there was a tie-in with the 4th of July fireworks at the Rose Bowl in an attempt to attract fans that might not have been exposed to drum corps previously. I was not a fan as a spectator in 2007 and would choose another location if given the chance.

Yes Sir! I remember the 4th of July Rose Bowl performance. I had just came back from a tour in Iraq, and I took my family. My son was four at the time. Phantom Regiment came out west that year so we got to see Spartacus. Even though that event was exhibition and not scored, I remember thinking............."If Phantom cleans this up and adds some stuff to the closer........."

5 minutes ago, Dansize said:

The LA area show was at a variety of places pre-2007.  I know I went to shows at Azusa Pacific (Azusa/Glendora) as well as Mt. San Antonio College (Walnut). It just seems like DCI (and/or Pacific Crest) latched on to the Rose Bowl in the years following 2007 finals as a premier (easily recognized) location.

Ahhh, I’d nearly forgotten about Citrus College (it was adjacent to Azusa Pacific), which was a GREAT stadium I always thought. Very high press box and pretty large seating capacity (nothing compared to Rose Bowl but still a lot). Everyone I know who has gone to the Rose Bowl has had nothing but negative opinions primarily due to the insane traffic situation leaving the parking lot. 

Edited by brassboy

2 minutes ago, brassboy said:

Ahhh, I’d nearly forgotten about Citrus College (it was adjacent to Azusa Pacific), which was a GREAT stadium I always thought. Very high press box and pretty large seating capacity (nothing compared to Rose Bowl but still a lot). Everyone I know who has gone to the Rose Bowl has had nothing but negative opinions primarily due to the insane traffic situation leaving the parking lot. 

Anyone who has been to the Rose Bowl it's a special stadium. It's old but so historic. I remember finals in 2007 and how special DCI finally came west. Seeing the San Gabriel Mountains as the sun set.

• Like 2