Fresno? FresYES! (MidCal Champions Showcase)

Just now, lawdn said:

Weighing in next morning. I am with those who are blown away by front half of BD show and are waiting for the second half to develop more.

Others didn’t seem to have this issue but I don’t think I got a good read on any of these Fresno shows, especially musically - others commented the mic pickup or mix was very treble-heavy. The sound was much better from DeKalb. Anyway, to me there was a flatness to all the shows from Fresno. Looking forward to getting a live read on them.

Well the crowd was like a soggy paper towel compared to the Midbest crowd. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

I feel about this show 100% how I did with Ghostlight.  Solid opening, awesome following section, BEAUTIFUL ballad, and then the closer lost me and never got me by finals.  Jojo and Both Sides Now are absolutely incredible, like 99.75 stuff.  The rest doesn't do it for me, still feel like there are much better constructed shows this year.  Regardless, absolutely incredible levels of performance and probably leads the season til the end.  Even if I don't like the show the respect is always there.  But geez I want someone else to win.  I'll be honest.  

I find myself halfway between the BD haters and lovers.  When it's good I'm all in.  When I don't like something it really rubs me in the wrong way and is borderline pretentious.  I feel like I'm fair in my criticism and probably comes down to what I personally look for in a show and appreciate.  I digress.  2017 is the last time they REALLY had me, there are glimmers of that kind of buy in for me, but just not there as a whole and I suspect probably won't be.  

I very much feel the same, especially when it comes to taste, 2019 was probably the most enjoyable production since 2017 because it felt the most *unrestrained* if that makes any sense, they kinda pulled out all the stops on that one and was very BD in a good way. I don’t feel like this year’s show does much for me personally, even though the source material’s very cool and interesting. There isn’t really one show in the top 4 that’s hooked me in completely either, so this isn’t only BD slander haha

3 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Well the crowd was like a soggy paper towel compared to the Midbest crowd. 

The "Midbest" can collect crowd enthusiasm trophies while us mellow Californians collect DCI championships like shells on the beach.  🙂

• Like 2

Ok catching the tail of this show on the replay since it’s not 1 am. 

Mandarins open is SIZZLING!

I am so nervous as they zig zag through the rotating props. Heh. 

it’s like watching last years wall whip around 

Did mandarins make a percussion staff change?  Their book is much more integrated this year. Both front and battery into the horns. 

Wow. Sinnerman is such a “moving on up” vehicle for Mandarins. That is just fantastic 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Did mandarins make a percussion staff change?  Their book is much more integrated this year. Both front and battery into the horns. 

They have the same writer/arranger (although now that Vincent Oliver is doing the brass arrangements, I believe the percussion writer adapted with him), but they do have new caption heads (and possibly techs).

• Thanks 1