To Encore or not to Encore in Utah 23

9 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

We just want him and the other members to be healthy and safe! Glad they're making good decisions on member health and safety at the Mandarins! Truly world-class!

We appreciate your updates!

Thanks brother! Really appreciate it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

Been seeing a lot of holes on the field with all corps. Better to take care of themselves now for the long tour ahead.

And then come DCI week, drug the heck up and push thru those last 3 shows. 

I have a feeling during the "Texas Summer in Hell" portion of the tour there will be a lot more holes.  The heat is ridiculous and many of the kids will be impacted by it. i'm sure the corps will err on the side of caution with regards to holding them out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Funny you say that. He said if this would have been Finals week, nothing on earth would have kept him off the field. 

@lawdnis right. It's a marathon not a sprint. 

I remember last year, the Mandarins had a guard member on crutches... I believe during the ageout ceremony, and my first thought was "oh no, she's going to miss finals!" But then I was shocked to see her out there on finals night, and then in a wheelchair for retreat. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

I remember last year, the Mandarins had a guard member on crutches... I believe during the ageout ceremony, and my first thought was "oh no, she's going to miss finals!" But then I was shocked to see her out there on finals night, and then in a wheelchair for retreat. 

As a combat veteran, I know all too well that there are times when you got to shut it down and heal, and when to "Rub some dirt on it".........suck it up and get the job done. 

As a 49ers fan, I remember when Ronnie Lott amputated part of his pinky finger so he wouldn't miss a playoff game.

I think in 2015, Carolina Panthers LB Thomas Davis broke his arm, played in the Super Bowl two weeks later. 

I will go to war with those dudes any day of the week. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spacewill said:

Looking forward to this show because the corps have had a little more practice after the grueling North Cali events. This will help see how much they have fixed and if they are keeping their momentum going!  Items I'm excited to see:

1.  Debut of Seattle Cascades - really excited to see what they put on the field with their return

2.  Can PC continue to trim BKs lead?

3.  Will The Academy close the gap on both PC and BK.  

4.  What little gems has BD added in the 2 days they've had to play with the show.

Corps will still be burnt out with two long travel nights and short rehearsal days. No one really greats a break until after Fort Collins.  Boston arrives    Fort Collins  rested and ready to take on the Mandarins and Blue Devils.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dcifanforlife said:

Corps will still be burnt out with two long travel nights and short rehearsal days. No one really greats a break until after Fort Collins.  Boston arrives    Fort Collins  rested and ready to take on the Mandarins and Blue Devils.

True, the travel and long bus rides do take it out on the kids.  PC doesn't get a rest after Ft. Collins either as they drive to Texas to perform in Canyon, Abilene, Denton, San Antonio, then Mesquite.  Their first real break isn't until after Mesquite.   

3 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

You know.  If someone ever REALLY wanted to go for DCIs throat with a show...I mean even harder than Animal Farm or Ayala Percussion (WGI 2017)...they'd do a show where narration starts announcing scores for the show based on estimated growth from the competing corps' previous shows and see if they can nail the numbers...Heh.

Do a show backwards scores, closer, ballad, opener, and end with an announcement for taking the field. Brilliant 👏👏👏

8 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Do a show backwards scores, closer, ballad, opener, and end with an announcement for taking the field. Brilliant 👏👏👏

How about a running score as the show goes on.  Put big video boards right in from of the band and they can see as their perfect score goes down while they perform.  As that trumpet hits a bad note .....drop from 20 to 19.5, now the Contras missed an entrance, 19.5 to 19.1, oh that mellophone run was messy, 19.1 to 18.7, and etc.

Color guard score goes from 20.0 to 19.1 and every one of them starts looking around to figure out who is out of sync.....this could be a genius implementation!

Edited by spacewill

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

As a combat veteran, I know all too well that there are times when you got to shut it down and heal, and when to "Rub some dirt on it".........suck it up and get the job done. 

As a 49ers fan, I remember when Ronnie Lott amputated part of his pinky finger so he wouldn't miss a playoff game.

I think in 2015, Carolina Panthers LB Thomas Davis broke his arm, played in the Super Bowl two weeks later. 

I will go to war with those dudes any day of the week. 

I had a parent try to pull a member they do of prelims in Dayton because they messed up their knee. The member fought with them for an hour to be able to march and they did. I said it's up to the mom if she clears them to go. I had two other members with recurring ankle injuries that taped braced and did everything they could to continue marching. As a director I feel like I made the wrong decision by letting the member tell me if they were good to go or not but they always took care of them selves during the week to make sure they could work on the weekends. 

• Like 2