DCI Tupelo - Tupelo, MS - July 13

2 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

It's a rehash show. IMO that is what's wrong. I'm not a fan of hey these things made is popular so here is a show with all those things. There are subtle ways to do it without smacking you in the face. But many people have said the music sounds like many thoughts at once with poor pacing. That's design teams fault not the members. So someone said somewhere a huge rewrite is coming and that may fix it. 

Worked for Blue Devils in their anniversary show....

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Trying not to sound cynical, but it seems Cavaliers have “underperformed “ in most, if not every competition this season.  At some point it stops being an off-night, and an indication that there is something more systematically wrong.  

I mean, they're right there with the Cadets in score. Anything under 2 points is an even match.

What are people saying about the Cadets? Top 5? Top 6? 

I don't think it's alarm time really. This year 6-9 are all VERY close, and 5th isn't out of the question with Regiment just yet.

No biggie.

• Like 2

There’s still a month till Finals people!!!! It’s not like it’s next weekend.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Well isn't most of the history stuff from after 98 now and when they won titles?

Not Gloria - That was 89 and snips a few years following. As I recall in the 98 show they didn't use tons of direct musical references. It was more a salute to the overall spirit and "machine" element of the organization. They used some visual cues like old-school 3-stripe flags to start and I believe a few showy drill moves, and there was a good bit of new, original music. 

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Cavaliers have a fantastic drum line this year. They popped a 16.9 in perc last night against a darn good Cadets percussion section so they have that going for them. But they lost by .7 in brass and also lost in Music Analysis which brings up one of their issues which is the music book needs shaped and polished. That could still happen but it's not just about cleaning. They have to make some changes. They are offering a lot of material and ultimately some of it may not be needed. Same with visual analysis. Having said that they have a another week and a half to make some changes before they need to concentrate on cleaning. A lot is still possible for the Cavies. They most important thing here is does the staff have a plan and will it be effective enough. I like the show. I liked it early on. It just has too much "stuff." 

I hate having to come in and defend them, but here we are. You're doing a good job of it.

They haven't had time to make changes to the music, so I'm sure that's planned. Everything is planned to peak at finals.

They're going to be fine, and if they don't place as high as we all want ( or not), they're having a great experience.

They're going to tweak and change and bring out the show vision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I prefer a first-time ‘get it right’ and then clean vs a ‘huge rewrite’ which has to be taught, learned and then cleaned (note the two additional steps).  With all the high-powered design staff, why can’t they design it right the first time?

I don't think they have a high-powered visual design staff, I think they have a competent visual design staff in their first year with a big-name corps.  It is impossible to follow Gaines, and Henshaw always seemed to write for other groups better than this one, so that's a can of worms I shouldn't even try to go into.

You also realize that a lot of their staff went to Phantom Regiment, BK, Pacific Crest, and wherever else.

Those corps are all going gangbusters this year too.  It's just not appropriate to worry right now with so much season left.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Show was based on the color blue not let's redo music and visuals from shows people know us from. 

Ummm…the reference was to the Blue Devils 2017 60th anniversary show which was mostly rehash with a twist. 

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Ummm…the reference was to the Blue Devils 2017 60th anniversary show which was mostly rehash with a twist. 

I wouldn't characterize BD 2017 as mostly re-hash, and I'd argue that BD 2007 had far more re-hash elements than 2017. 

But I think this further proves the point - you can celebrate an anniversary without over-doing the re-hash thing.

2 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I wouldn't characterize BD 2017 as mostly re-hash, and I'd argue that BD 2007 had far more re-hash elements than 2017. 

But I think this further proves the point - you can celebrate an anniversary without over-doing the re-hash thing.

I was responding to the statement that the show was based on the color blue (referring to last year). And no offense to the Blue Devils but every year seems like a rehash with a twist. (Hey it works…if it’s not broken).

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1