Is it time to stop using human Adjudicator's and go to A.I.

Having read Michael Lewis' Moneyball a long, long time ago, I can see AI's usefulness in rummaging through big data to identify MMs with potential that others may have overlooked. Like how the GM of the Oakland A's did using statistics analysis. Yes I realize professional sports is day and night from DCI, but wouldn't it be something for a smaller corps faced with a tight budget to reinvent themselves in a creative way by outsmarting the richer ones, like Beane did. If we only had access to the kind of big data that the ball clubs keep..

On 7/26/2023 at 10:09 AM, MikeN said:

Ask an AI to describe GE, you'd probably get the same word salad the humans use... 😞

Mike

>Define the term 'General Effect' as it applies to drum corps or other pageantry activities:

>

In the context of drum corps or other pageantry activities, the term "General Effect" refers to one of the main judging criteria used to evaluate and score performances. General Effect assesses the overall impact and artistic impression of a performance, focusing on the emotional and intellectual response it elicits from the audience and judges.

General Effect judges consider various elements when evaluating a performance, such as:

Artistry and Expression: This aspect assesses the artistic interpretation, creativity, and emotional depth conveyed by the performers. It includes factors like musicality, expressiveness, and how well the performers convey the intended mood or theme of the show.

Design and Concept: Judges look at the overall design of the performance, including the arrangement of music, visual elements, choreography, and how well everything fits together to form a cohesive and engaging concept.

Visual and Musical Coordination: This involves evaluating how well the visual and musical components of the performance complement each other, enhancing the overall impact of the show.

Showmanship and Engagement: Judges assess how effectively the performers engage the audience and maintain their attention throughout the performance. This could include factors like stage presence, charisma, and the ability to connect emotionally with the spectators.

Execution and Precision: While General Effect primarily focuses on the artistic aspects, judges also consider the technical proficiency and precision with which the performers execute their movements, music, and visual elements.

General Effect scores play a crucial role in determining the overall placement of a drum corps or pageantry group in competitions. It's important for performers and designers to strike a balance between technical excellence and artistic expression to achieve high scores in the General Effect category.

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, oldbandguy said:

Instead of A I just let DCP to the judging.  We could call it ? I

Haha! Yes...that would end well. But it would be fun. It would be cool if DCI, after announcing the scores also announced the DCP favorites and caption winners for any live-streamed show. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Haha! Yes...that would end well. But it would be fun. It would be cool if DCI, after announcing the scores also announced the DCP favorites and caption winners for any live-streamed show. 

I think an audience voted award would be cool to have, even if it's not a part of the scoring/tabulations. Just to give corps even more encouragement to outdo each other on the entertainment factor and give the audience even more involvement in the activity. 

Sure, it might get memed on a little bit (similar to Mitch Trubisky winning the NVP on Monday Night Football with Nickelodeon), but would still be fun! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AI can't handle when i call customer service when it asks why i'm calling and what department i need to speak to. i doubt it could handle judging DCI

• Like 1

11 hours ago, resipsaloquitur said:

Having read Michael Lewis' Moneyball a long, long time ago, I can see AI's usefulness in rummaging through big data to identify MMs with potential that others may have overlooked. Like how the GM of the Oakland A's did using statistics analysis. Yes I realize professional sports is day and night from DCI, but wouldn't it be something for a smaller corps faced with a tight budget to reinvent themselves in a creative way by outsmarting the richer ones, like Beane did. If we only had access to the kind of big data that the ball clubs keep..

but Billyball alone never won a title

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

Instead of A I just let DCP to the judging.  We could call it ? I

grumpy old men?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just pondering how AI would handle non-linear design contexts...

Tell me how AI would judge a PDQ Bach-type of show using parody or humor, especiaaly if within the arrangements or drill?

What about a non--humorous section where the guard chucks their flags, usually near the end of a show? Is that a mass ensemble error to an AI?

Trombone glisses are way overused, but how would an AI handle this type of pitch bend (pitch bend? Bluecoats?)

I cannot think of a corps example of this, but I've seen enough Penn and Teller to know deception/sleight of hand can be very effective, including what appear to be mistakes that are part of the act, and get resolved when the "trick"happens.

Drum corps is not a magic show, but a top corps could try a design sleight of hand that appears to be wrong until the payoff. Would AI "get it" like a human would?

On the other hand, if AI could not judge scatter drill and forced corps to do more actual drill with what we used to call forms, maybe it wouldn't be so bad...

6 hours ago, wolfgang said:

Just pondering how AI would handle non-linear design contexts...

Tell me how AI would judge a PDQ Bach-type of show using parody or humor, especiaaly if within the arrangements or drill?

What about a non--humorous section where the guard chucks their flags, usually near the end of a show? Is that a mass ensemble error to an AI?

Trombone glisses are way overused, but how would an AI handle this type of pitch bend (pitch bend? Bluecoats?)

I cannot think of a corps example of this, but I've seen enough Penn and Teller to know deception/sleight of hand can be very effective, including what appear to be mistakes that are part of the act, and get resolved when the "trick"happens.

Drum corps is not a magic show, but a top corps could try a design sleight of hand that appears to be wrong until the payoff. Would AI "get it" like a human would?

On the other hand, if AI could not judge scatter drill and forced corps to do more actual drill with what we used to call forms, maybe it wouldn't be so bad...

Smart Music, stick and riffle sensors, gps, all shows will be digitised, evry marcher will have a chip, shoe sensors and what not to make sure all of the activity is covered. Percussion judge would be styled after R2B2 with tan kaki's and green shirt, guard adjudicator would be styled after 3CPO, kaki's and green polo and Brass....? give me some help here