I will not be outdone by other Drum Corps Internet Trolls (I own VMAPA.org)

3 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I was the first to identify that they were soliciting donations while not in compliance with state regulation months ago. Catching that resulted in the pause of the Feeding Vanguard Forever campaign at 20k raised. I'm unclear how many alum participating in the campaign knew they were out of compliance. No news on what's happening with those funds or any raised during the pause. Technically you can still donate on their website though. I'm sure it's doesn't behoove them to communicate out what they've raised in the time since. The whole situation sucks, including the necessary steps taken to pause fundraising while our of compliance. Nobody wins here. 

I've also already commented in this thread what Nadolny recommended I do when I sought out her advice about blowing the whistle on institutional abuse.

I don't prefer the term hostile when it comes to the corps I love. I prefer the term assertive. Cause I've been painstaking in documenting the steps I've taken to communicate my concerns to VMAPA since 2021. I've been patient, gentle, and always communicated my intentions before taking action, as a courtesy to the corps I love and the people running it, and that's allowed them to make superficial changes that look good on the surface but aren't integrated or sustainable. I'm positive of at least two cases in which this has happened. So now, I've turned to being more assertive.. all the while maintaining an open door for clear communication, which they've never taken.

I'll choose to regard everyone's advice here as well intentioned, but if I had waited until now to follow it, it may have been too late. So much more damage can be done between now and when local or state regulators step in. Many alumni have been acting for months now behind the scenes, because enough of us are genuinely concerned, and thanks to those of us who actively seek common ground rather than build silos. The majority are frozen with fear, had to walk away in frustration, or completely don't care at all.

Even though SCV isn't soliciting donations, they can still legally collect donations made on one's own free will. And that is where I say donors would have to stop donating. Of course we have no idea if donations are still being made or how much. 

I use the term "hostile takeover" as it is used in the business sense. This literally means taking over the organization against current leaderships favor. Which is the only way to do it at this point. 

• Like 1

A buddy was talking to a seemingly knowledgeable person at the BA show, and the topic of SCV and its future came up. The person said "I think they're on the right track, but I'd feel a lot better if they weren't still paying Rennick his full salary."

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, kdaddy said:

A buddy was talking to a seemingly knowledgeable person at the BA show, and the topic of SCV and its future came up. The person said "I think they're on the right track, but I'd feel a lot better if they weren't still paying Rennick his full salary."

Let's still be very careful with that information. Without concrete proof, that is still hearsay. We don't know who still is or isn't being paid. 

11 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

They're paying Gaines too.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Even though SCV isn't soliciting donations, they can still legally collect donations made on one's own free will. And that is where I say donors would have to stop donating. Of course we have no idea if donations are still being made or how much. 

I'm aware and they're obviously aware that they can still take "unsolicited" donations. (Having a public facing website with a giant donate button on it seems pretty "solicited" to me honestly, but I guess there's wiggle room and plenty of time before regulators take a closer look.) I don't have control over that, but I do know that alumni are likely their strongest donation base and they are growing increasingly frustrated. Especially, I assume, those taken by surprise by the non compliance.

But even I have limits. I'm a pariah when I attend meetings and can only put in so much emotional labor with fellow alum who actively hate me and my well intentioned work. So I can't keep my finger on the pulse. More discouraging things have been happening behind the scenes that I don't have consent to share.  These things continue to negatively impact my mental health if I constantly re-engage. You have no idea how many other alum, better than me, have had to give up and walked away for this very reason. It's sad.

21 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I use the term "hostile takeover" as it is used in the business sense. This literally means taking over the organization against current leaderships favor. Which is the only way to do it at this point. 

I'm also aware of the reference. There is no mechanism by which the current leadership can be encouraged to step aside.

Look I appreciate the pointers offered but I assure you they've been fully explored. I'm no spring chicken and, to mix this metaphor, this ain't my first rodeo. I may not have creaky knees, but I'm a weathered professional whose career was painstakingly honed in direct response to the mismanagement I encountered time and time again at Vanguard.

You and others are simply late on the draw with this advice, but the affirmation is welcome.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
typo

I am heartened by the coalescence of whistleblowers to push as one.  I'm a complete outsider to the mechanisms of corps in most ways and only see what bubbles to the surface and public face by people talking about it.   In comparison to what the Cadets seem to go through, this battle is a bit more of a multi-headed hydra as there's not a single polarizing figure to point at.  Yeah I'm aware the issues at the Cadets ran deeper than one person and it took more than aiming at that one and more of a systemic cultural change there to get them back on track as well, but having a singular point for that 'first step' made it perhaps easier to draw together the disparate voices wanting to change. 

Having an "it begins with..." and a clear "then we do..." as part of the call to action seems a critical step for organizational change to pull people together to build to that vision. It'll be messy as heck on the way but here's to hoping those seeking to protect SCV in the long term v. a short term gain to bring the train wreck back onto the same tracks prevails

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

You and others are simply late on the draw with this advice, but the affirmation is welcome.

If we are late to the draw, then there is nothing that can be done. They will run themselves how they see fit and that is that. If what you claim is that all these things have been tried and failed, then that is that. There is nothing you or anyone on DCP can do. Granted I'm only ever hearing your side of what is happening. Elsewhere it's being portrayed that they are on track to restart and be fine next year. So what is there to believe? That SCV is really all doom and gloom and is run terribly? Or that they are on good footing and there are just people out there upset about people who still work for the corps. 

I mean no disrespect, but when people start going around and trying to raise these red flags and are then confronted with the question of "what's the plan?" and the response is "oh well it's all been tried and you're just too late to the game", then what's the point?

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I'm also aware of the reference. There is no mechanism by which the current leadership can be encouraged to step aside.

Look I appreciate the pointers offered but I assure you they've been fully explored. I'm no spring chicken and, to mix this metaphor, this ain't my first rodeo. I may not have creaky knees, but I'm a weathered professional whose career was painstakingly honed in direct response to the mismanagement I encountered time and time again at Vanguard.

For someone who gets offended at innocuous statements at the drop of a hat, you have an interesting way of responding to discourse. Like, just read this again.

You've complained that you aren't getting much support from fellow alums for your (imo) worthy campaign - there could be a simple and superficial reason why...

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

They're paying Gaines too.

Interesting, because he was an interim C-level person while this was happening (at least, in part). He does this "cute" thing where the cookies crumble, then shows up on social media all like, "what'd I miss????? hahahahhahaha".

Groundbreaking drill writer - no question.