DCI Prelims - Big, Loud, and Live - August 10th, 2023

7 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

The investment you are paying, & not just monetary, are going to pay lifelong dividends for your kid. 

Good job!  

That's true.  That's what drum corps is really supposed to be about.  I wouldn't be where I am today without drum corps.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Super Don-O said:

Check out '95 and '96

👍

I would add 2000 (Hitchcock/Bernard Hermann show) and 2010. Cold, dark jazz. 

48 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

Also I was super let down by Blue Stars. Tamest show about drug induced hallucinations ever done. It needed to be so much weirder. 

Absinthe doesn’t really make you hallucinate. IMO it’s moreso a show about that point in a night of drinking with the lads when you inevitably get on a bar and take your clothes off. Which, to be fair, Blue Stars represent pretty literally! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In a color smorgasboard Bloo’s guard outfits steal the show. Love the change in color as they rotate. So many pretty moments musically/visually. To me, the narration seemed less intrusive on Flo. Live, it seemed a bit loud and a bit much. Bloo creates more effect with body movement than anyone else. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Big Bird said:

Looking at the panel, this will be a Blue Devils win.

gets much more interesting from a judging perspective tomorrow and Saturday

Well at least that explains the traffic from Lucas Oil back to my hotel...........goal post were being moved down the roads. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

BD’s holy trinity is effect, execution, and variety. Effect is prioritized. Execution serves effect. Variety keeps it entertaining and engaging. That’s the secret. BD’s ideas mature and percolate long before they hit the field, and it shows in their GE scores. There is never (ever) a half-baked idea. They will be tough to beat this weekend. The door is technically open. All three runners up can beat BD in many captions/subcaptions, but rarely GE, which is BD’s secret sauce. BD has probably developed vast stores of ideas that wait for the right moment in the right show. Their shows are the result of very disciplined design and solid execution all around. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1