DCI Prelims - Big, Loud, and Live - August 10th, 2023

1 minute ago, ftwdrummer said:

Eh, I can see there being more appreciation for a Broken City book from the booth than the field. But thank you for pointing out it was Romanowski who popped them first--I'd missed that on my first read.

Yeah, that really stands out for me. If there was a difference I would expect the judge with a drum background to drop them, and the one with brass background to prop them up, but it's backwards. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Funny, it’s been in my head this week that they must’ve done Sweeney. I guess not. It would be a good fit, and a new challenge that departs from their usual upbeat feel good stuff. 

They played the overture to Sweeney in 08 and 15. But I want a full show 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Funny, it’s been in my head this week that they must’ve done Sweeney. I guess not. It would be a good fit, and a new challenge that departs from their usual upbeat feel good stuff. 

They've used "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd" (prelude number in the musical) more than once, but not done the complete score. I think its unlikely they well, as they create most shows from multiple sources, but I saw the Josh Groban revival a few months ago and it really is phenomenal. With the first full orchestra since the original. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

My guess is that one judge is focused on brass and the other is on percussion. 

It’s just like GE in a sense with GE 1 and 2. One is a Brass judge and one is a Drum judge but both judge Music Analysis to cover both backgrounds but they judge the exact same sheet. The judge with the brass background doesn’t just focus on the brass and let the percussion background judge focus on percussion. BOTH judge the entire ensemble.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

They've used "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd" (prelude number in the musical) more than once, but not done the complete score. I think its unlikely they well, as they create most shows from multiple sources, but I saw the Josh Groban revival a few months ago and it really is phenomenal. With the first full orchestra since the original. 

Isn’t the revival amazing?

and I still think BD could pull from the original score and other source material and do a wonderful Sweeney Todd themed show 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rufus67 said:

Sound in our theater was like the field mics weren't working so horn/battery were very muted. Pit and soloists were fine so it was a bit of a disappointment. The good news was for the first time ever (for me anyway) I really enjoyed each show. Some more than others but they all had something that was awesome to experience. I'm a curmudgeon by nature so that was quite distressing.

Good luck to all the corps the next two days!

For whatever reason the sound in my usual theater in Northern VA is pretty decent but it doesn't capture the dynamics of the soft and loud as well as I would like. The issue I have is the picture is almost always too dark. It looks like the lights in the stadium were about 66% on. I don't know what happens or is lost in the broadcast but it can be annoying.

It reminds me of the situation where somehow if you have ever watched content intended for HDR TVs/monitors but you didn't have an HDR monitor so the picture looks kind of dull colored.

Regarding the performances I was really impressed. I am used to the days of me going to watch the 3 ish Corps performances I will like and then later after I purchase the Bluerays I enjoy parts of the other shows. But now that they claim that they will not be selling DVDS/BluRays of the performances I wanted to make sure I saw each performance.

I was impressed. For the first time since maybe way back into the early 2000s I liked several shows. 

I was particularly impressed by the Troopers, The Colts, and Phantom Regiment. I loved loved the Cavaliers, and really was impressed by the Cadets performance as well. I liked the Bluecoats and Carolina crown - as always - soundwise but for whatever reason the themes of both of those shows just didn't gel with me. Maybe I will come around if I ever get a chance to see the shows again. The Blue Devil show was impressive as always but the music may not have been to my liking as much as past years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vuitton said:

Looking at the recap I just can't agree with this. BD was 1st and 2nd in almost all subcaptions (with only three 3rd place finishes (two in achievement and one in content). That means across the board the judges are seeing more content in all facets of BD's show other than percussion (3rd) and that greater content being executed at a greater level.

Crown had several 3rd, 4th and 5th (percussion only) finishes across the subcaptions.

Bluecoats had several 3rd, 4th and 6th (percusson only) finishes across the subcaptions.

Boston had several 3rds and a crap ton of 4ths across the captions.

I've been saying all season that BD's consistency across all captions is going to bring them the title and Bluecoats, Boston and Crown are going to prevent Bluecoats, Boston and Crown from catching BD, because they are all knocking each other down in various captions. 

At this point, I believe Crown to have the best chance, but I just don't see it happening because of BD's consistency. 0.7 is a HUGE gap today. Vanguard was a heck of a lot closer than that to BD for almost the entire season in 2017 and never managed to beat them once.

You are probably right, but the finals judging panel hasn't consistently had BD 1 or 2 across the board.  I do think the door might be slightly open.  I will be surprised if Crown stays in 4th in visual, and I do think it is possible for their percussion to finish higher than 5th.  We have seen it enough times this season happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, MBo1974 said:

You are probably right, but the finals judging panel hasn't consistently had BD 1 or 2 across the board.  I do think the door might be slightly open.  I will be surprised if Crown stays in 4th in visual, and I do think it is possible for their percussion to finish higher than 5th.  We have seen it enough times this season happen.

Exactly, my general point is that the door is open. I think a slightly different panel could have called last night differently and shaken things up quite a bit.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MBo1974 said:

I would love nothing more than Crown, Bluecoats or Boston to win! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Exactly, my general point is that the door is open. I think a slightly different panel could have called last night differently and shaken things up quite a bit.

And a slightly different panel could have had BD win by a larger margin too.