Dci fans should be ashamed of themselves

1 hour ago, GREENBLUE said:

I think the confusion lies within your statement, “staff that knows how to design winning shows.”
Most fans, I say most…not all, do not understand why the Blue Devils design is the absolute. In terms of GE it consistently is the top, but why? take away GE scores and BD does not have the wins. I believe that’s where the frustration lies. Why do the judges believe this show is #1 while the audience, again not everyone, does not. Maybe the term GE needs to be changed???

Saying "if GE wasn't part of the criteria, BD wouldn't be be winning", is the old "if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle" line of reasoning.  

Audience reaction is a thing, but no way should it be some sort of component of the judging criteria.  The general public is understandably biased.  They'd scream like heck for some things, and sit on their hands for others based on who they inherently like and don't like, regardless of its actual quality.  

If audience reaction was part of the criteria Scouts, PR and Troopers  would have a ton of championships. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

It won’t matter. No matter what rules you make, it won’t change the fact that BD can still recruit the most experienced and accomplished members (ensuring they don’t march for their competitors) and put a $100,000 sound system on the field.

Add a fan reaction element to the GE scoring system, say 5 points. 

14 minutes ago, mboogey73 said:

The general public is understandably biased.  They'd scream like heck for some things, and sit on their hands for others based on who they inherently like and don't like, regardless of its actual quality.  

Is that bias or preference? 
Forgive me, but in this activity it is almost impossible to divorce quality from style. I might "prefer" a particular style even if the "quality" is less. 

20 minutes ago, mboogey73 said:

Audience reaction is a thing, but no way should it be some sort of component of the judging criteria. 

1,000,000%. If audience reaction was considered in judging we would have watched 25 of the same shows yesterday. 

This thread is really still going?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, mboogey73 said:

If audience reaction was part of the criteria Scouts, PR and Troopers  would have a ton of championships. 

You say that as if it's a bad thing

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ContraFart said:

You say that as if it's a bad thing

As a Scout who has won it would be a horrible thing!

I want the best corps to win whether I like their show or not.

• Like 2

I mean, they designed a show toward what wins and not toward what the audience likes. They made their choice to go for gold instead of be a memorable show! Worth it competitively but at the sacrifice of even being in the top half of shows most want to watch again from finals this year. 

Edited by platanopower
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

I think the confusion lies within your statement, “staff that knows how to design winning shows.”
Most fans, I say most…not all, do not understand why the Blue Devils design is the absolute. In terms of GE it consistently is the top, but why? take away GE scores and BD does not have the wins. I believe that’s where the frustration lies. Why do the judges believe this show is #1 while the audience, again not everyone, does not. Maybe the term GE needs to be changed???

You know what? I say we add Audience Reaction to the sheets. 

I mean BD plays to the sheets right? Isn't that one of the top five things most people cry about when it comes to BD?

So since they play to the sheets, BDs staff will acknowledge the addition to the sheets, go out and design a show that you approve of, and will make you throw babies just as far as any corps in the business.

BD stays top two, people will then move on and find something else to complain about BD. 

• Like 1