The Staff Merry-go-round

5 minutes ago, DSpruce said:

No, as an alum DCI did not do that. Parents told them to give an update before DCI. I guess its fun to take the over/under on SCV returning- not that much judgment on that. IMO we’ll find out soon, not understanding the dopamine hit of making calls before we do, not a judgment. https://www.scvanguard.org/event/vmapa-board-meeting-monday-august-28-2023-6pm-9pm-pdt/2023-08-28/

If you feel the need to say that you're not judging more than once, you're more than likely judging.

3 minutes ago, combia1 said:

Seven PAGES of new posts in the past day and only a single post that is on-topic (listing a staff change). Where are the moderators when we need them?

Discussing SCVs status in relation to their staff staying or leaving is very much on topic. 

Also, a mod visited the thread earlier and didn't see a problem.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

some local circuits used to do this. the downside was fans/parents learned too much about the judges and in a few cases took harassment to new levels. i remember a judge being yelled at by parents whose group lost at a championship event in the 90's while waling to their car...being told they'd call their employer etc. and in todays world...oof.

I'm sure that might be the thinking  If so, another sad example of how a few loudmouth unhinged people can limit the knowledge access of normal people simply looking to learn how competitions are judged and the worthy credentials and experience most of these DCI judges have.  I do believe however that DCI could publish this info on their website and find its long term benefits to both DCI and the activity itself outweigh the negatives.

Edited by Boss Anova

34 minutes ago, DSpruce said:

No, as an alum DCI did not do that. Parents told them to give an update before DCI. I guess its fun to take the over/under on SCV returning- not that much judgment on that. IMO we’ll find out soon, not understanding the dopamine hit of making calls before we do, not a judgment. https://www.scvanguard.org/event/vmapa-board-meeting-monday-august-28-2023-6pm-9pm-pdt/2023-08-28/

I’m just repeating what someone I trust heard. If it’s wrong I apologize

7 hours ago, fighterkit said:

I’m just repeating what someone I trust heard. If it’s wrong I apologize

No need whatsoever. We won’t know for a while. They understand that whatever they do it will trigger a barrage of emotions. I do not know what the org will do. Personally wish all the best to creating something wonderful as soon as they can. 

Edited by DSpruce

if SCV plans to return in 2024, that announcement needs to occur post haste. That announcement, one way or the other has a direct relationship to this thread topic of Staff comings and goings.  If SCV plans on returning in 2024, they need to announce along with it, who their show designers, and sectional staff they have under 2024 contract will be and other important info for prospective auditioneers.  If they dont announce soon, then soon staff and applicants, and former SCV marchers will naturally begin to close their door to them, if they have not already done so as we approach now September.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, combia1 said:

Seven PAGES of new posts in the past day and only a single post that is on-topic (listing a staff change). Where are the moderators when we need them?

7 hours ago, Grandpa Joe said:

Discussing SCVs status in relation to their staff staying or leaving is very much on topic. 

Also, a mod visited the thread earlier and didn't see a problem.

we are here, just haven't needed to intervene yet.  News of staff changes does seem to be a tic or two slower than previous years, but not terribly unusual for post-Finals August, IMO.

And I think we in the back room all agree with you that SCV status/staff is relevant - at least until it either dominates the thread and/or morphs into more status than staff.  

Staff changes or not is always a very interesting read.  Looking forward to more discussion fodder coming soon.

Absent any relevant posts to the topic, I will put forth a few positions that SHOULD change (in my opinion)......hopefully to generate conversation not Julie Davila or SCV related

1. Boston Crusaders need a true top 3 brass arranger. Will Michael Klesch follow Tom Hannum to Boston?

2. Phantom needs a better guard design team

3. Cadets, if they want to break into the top 4, need a better visual designer

4. Troopers - Entire guard design and teaching staff, hopefully one that brings talented members.

5. Cavaliers need to swap out brass staff and visual design. No need for explanation

6. Blue Knights have obvious needs at the top of the design team.

7. Crossmen need a better brass staff and new visual designer

8. Madison? a total reboot with a design team that can create a cohesive and contemporary program.

9. Academy -  see above.

10. Genesis -  see above, above.

• Like 2