Blue Devils 2024 right before the storm

7 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Buddy Rich used several manufacturers throughout his career including Ludwig, Rogers, Slingerland, & Vox kits.  But he mostly used the white marine pearl Slingerland kit.  You can own his 1968 kit that's been discounted to about $23k from Donn Bennett.  (Scroll down to the 7th row.)  Several other famous kits available from his 'Drum Vault'.  I'm sure financing is available. 💵

https://donnbennett.com/category/drum-gallery/drum-sets/   

My dad's set was a marine pearl slingerland kit from the 1950s.  He had it down in the garage when i was a kid for awhile, it spent a lot of time in the attic.  We got it down and set it up again for him after retirement but then they wanted to use that for a spare bedroom again and it went back to the attic.

When it came time for him to sell the house and move after mom died. He was ready sell it and his older brother had a neighbor who was a drummer and learned he also collected kits.  The guy was ecstatic to see dad's drums...complete with most of the calfskin heads intact.  I think only the snare had been replaced by a synthetic head.  The thing was in pretty good shape and the guy lovingly restored it then had dad over to see it and play on it one last time.

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 5

double posted for some reason.  If i remember, ill scan the picture of him at his set from his high school era jazz combo next time i visit this summer

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 2

Blue Devils Instagram stories playing this beautiful piece over their promo camp video for the weekend starting tomorrow. INTERESTING! 👀

• Like 5

1 hour ago, theonlyfizzle said:

Blue Devils Instagram stories playing this beautiful piece over their promo camp video for the weekend starting tomorrow. INTERESTING! 👀

I noticed that too though I've never known BD to preview show music this early on. So who knows if this will actually be in the show or not. Mandarins may also be playing this piece this year. Either way, it's a beautiful piece!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, crownisking said:

I noticed that too though I've never known BD to preview show music this early on. So who knows if this will actually be in the show or not. Mandarins may also be playing this piece this year. Either way, it's a beautiful piece!

Could be interpreted as BD in reaction mode to Mandarins & Troopers announcements.   Blue Devils keeping an eye on the rear view mirror.  These Corps are closer than they appear.  

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Could be interpreted as BD in reaction mode to Mandarins & Troopers announcements.   Blue Devils keeping an eye on the rear view mirror.  These Corps are closer than they appear.  

With all due respect to the Mandarins organization, I highly doubt BD is sweating them at this time. I believe this was most likely a scheduled post that coincidently fell on the same day. 

Without a doubt, Mandarins are getting better every year. But as long as BD continues to attract top talent and keeps the nucleus of their staff in place, the Founders Trophy will call Concord home more often than not. 

Edited by crownisking
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, crownisking said:

With all due respect to the Mandarins organization, I highly doubt BD is sweating them at this time. I believe this was most likely a scheduled post that coincidently fell on the same day. 

Without a doubt, Mandarins are getting better every year. But as long as BD continues to attract top talent and keeps the nucleus of their staff in place, the Founders Trophy will call Concord home more often than not. 

I agree. BD shouldn't even be worried about them at the moment. NOW.......... if/when the Mandarins continue on this upward trajectory, who knows, this could be a conversation in 2026-2027. 

But there are levels to this.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

I agree. BD shouldn't even be worried about them at the moment. NOW.......... if/when the Mandarins continue on this upward trajectory, who knows, this could be a conversation in 2026-2027. 

But there are levels to this.

I mean to be completely honest, if I'm at BD I'm not even worried about Boston, Bloo or Crown. Yeah, one of them may creep up and beat BD on an "off" year but there's nothing that suggests it will become a trend. We all know the field has no chance the year after BD finishes 2nd. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, crownisking said:

I mean to be completely honest, if I'm at BD I'm not even worried about Boston, Bloo or Crown. Yeah, one of them may creep up and beat BD on an "off" year but there's nothing that suggests it will become a trend. We all know the field has no chance the year after BD finishes 2nd. 

I can't remember who it was, but the quote was...........

"Every few years it might be someone's SEASON when they win DCI, but make no mistake, it's BDs WORLD we are living in, until someone can prove they can consistently beat them year in, year out."

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

I can't remember who it was, but the quote was...........

"Every few years it might be someone's SEASON when they win DCI, but make no mistake, it's BDs WORLD we are living in, until someone can prove they can consistently beat them year in, year out."

Couldn't have said it any better myself. We're witnessing history. There will never be another dynasty in drum corps like what BD is today.   

• Like 3