Goodbye

15 hours ago, Keith Hall said:

Do veteran DCA corps members want to compete in morning or afternoon. Almost like being treated like the "red headed Stepchild!" 

DCI Prelims, Quarter Finals, Semi Finals and Finals is a joke! The amount of corps (minimal) and the minor lack of movement in placing really sets up the top 12 two weeks prior. They could have prelims on Friday (day) and Finals on Saturday and Friday evening could be All Age Finals (I would add to have all age prelims, if its needed, on Friday along with DCI prelims. The old model would definitely work today with lack of corps!

DCi is going to do what benefits DCI. they'll get more fans for DCI corps at night than they will in the day

• Thanks 2

Like others have said, my generation is growing old and dying. I suppose I'll grow old and die, too. I wouldn't want to disappoint anyone. 🙂 DCA is for high school and college kids now. Their friends and family can go to the shows and cheer them on to victory. Whatever DCA has to do to make that happen is fine with me. Let's hope more All Age Corps find their way to Indianapolis. It won't be what my generation remembers, but it will be what the current generation wants.

Edited by hairbear
removed a paragraph that was redundant.
  • Like 2

Along the lines of what Jeff and W said earlier... I hope the compressed season will more or less force the corps to put an achievable product on the field earlier than they have in years past. 

Shows that are unfinished, or barely finished in mid-July... and thus just starting to really get it together by the time the new DCA title show happens... might not make much of a good impression on the DCI fans who come out to see what the all-age product is all about. 

I have no skin in this game anymore, so I hope all goes well for my friends still involved with DCA. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2023 at 8:45 AM, joe c said:

The incentives just changed in a pretty meaningful way. 

Imma bet looking forward Indianapolis lights an earlier fire for all concerned.  

I hope that's the case! 

On 8/16/2023 at 11:28 AM, Keith Hall said:

I hope it works out and the all-age activity grows again.

When Brigs, Crusaders and Statesmen faded away that was really sad! I was fond of Renegades, Min Brass, Kilties and Heatwave too

Minnesota Brass have actually made a return to sound sport.

51 minutes ago, Keith Hall said:

Is there incentive to march All-Age after this year? How will finals look in the afternoon?

Now the good thing is....everyone can get tickets to the big DCI finals Saturday night.

A good incentive is it’s cheaper and you are competing in DCI for less money while still having an authentic experience 

On 8/16/2023 at 12:54 PM, BigW said:

Some of those demises were self-inflicted. Others were not.

Part of the problem is the historical nature of how DCA basically was self-serving towards its members, and it was extremely difficult to crack the inner sanctum. There were plenty of corps around. Many were simply expendable. Now, there's basically no one left to expend. The corps need to be exceptionally aware of what they do as a whole for DCA and not just what is self-serving. Otherwise, it'll be 2-3 corps looking around and wondering what the hades happened.

Wow you have eloquently summed up in a single paragraph what many of us have been saying for years here.  Very well said sir. 

Only thing I might add is I think I think they are pretty much there. Just maybe 7 or 8 units looking around wondering what the hades happened. Because those corps that they thought were expendable? They were NOT expendable. They were very much needed and now they are no longer around. 

I saw some idiot posting on one of the social media pages that the thought this was some sort of 2 year buy out agreement with DCI and in 2 years it was going to be business as usual for DCA. I sorta laughed because as much as I said "boy that is the stupidest idea I have ever heard of" It would be just like DCA to let DCI come in and clean things up and go right back to doing things as usual and bring championships right back to Rochester and hold them again on Labor day and say well that did not work. LOL 

Might have to refer back to this post again in two years if DCA jumps the shark and does the stupid thing (AGIAN) and goes back to Rochester after DCI bails them out. LOL 

Can’t imagine they’d want to go back on their own unless the world has drastic changes. High school football in PA started this past weekend. In many districts school already started too. Trying to stay on Labor Day is a death sentence and trying to run against dci in early August on their own is stupid.

im thinking the early end of the season means those late season show hosts can move earlier and not have corps going multiple weeks between performances or having to be judged virtually as much