Goodbye

Hey, Jeff!

This is not the place to be more specific. But, I will say this, very little, if anything involved in marketing and PR is formally voted upon. Most of it is between individuals and requires a great deal of follow-through by all parties. Not enough of this was evident. I don’t tolerate that condition very well.

Edited by Fred Windish

13 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCA is the corps just as dci is. The president or ceo or whatever term used isn’t an all powerful dictator 

Except the DCI corps work together on everything with a vested interest and shared stakes in the regional shows, finals week, and tour planning. (Unless you’re open class… sorry kids, you get whatever is left) The full time staff of dci then handle marketing & branding, planning operations, business transactions and venue agreements, site visits, show coord,  and in season logistics.  It’s not left to a half time volunteer skeleton crew. 

52 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

There is truth in your assessment, Chris. My brief tenure on DCA Staff (2006) revealed much the same roadblocks.

While I thoroughly enjoyed DCA and its people in that capacity, the reality was most impediments to my strategy came from DCA itself, and its corps.  But, I wanted to “give back,” so was determined to complete the season.  It was clear, the chance for improvement was limited, so I walked away.

Perhaps, the link-up to DCI helps.

I watched this as a staff member of both dci and dca.  One circuit, even the scraps of open class had much more support behind it than dca. Not that I’m saying dca is a dumpster fire, but I am saying that the difference between part time volunteers,and a full time office is noticeable. And the details are noticeable even on the websites. 

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

Hey, Jeff!

This is not the place to be more specific. But, I will say this, very little, if anything involved in marketing and PR is formally voted upon. Most of it is between individuals and requires a great deal of follow-through by all parties. Not enough of this was evident. I don’t tolerate that condition very well.

Oh I know. But sadly in this space to many people think it’s one person pulling all the levers and it’s not 

9 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Not to mention the totally unprofessional treatment the alumni show is getting.  I could not believe that announcer yesterday basically saying on his way out "oh, I forgot, there is an alumni show tomorrow, and I am only telling you that much because numerous people complained".  He could not even tell us who would be performing - probably neither knows nor cares.

I wonder what he was given to say. A one-liner that got lost in the days events ongoing? Was he given a reasonably constructed announcement of the alumni show and who was in it?

Sounds like he did a lousy job recovering his miss, even if just a one-liner, but I would not put the whole blame on him without knowing more.

5 hours ago, MikeD said:

I wonder what he was given to say. A one-liner that got lost in the days events ongoing? Was he given a reasonably constructed announcement of the alumni show and who was in it?

Sounds like he did a lousy job recovering his miss, even if just a one-liner, but I would not put the whole blame on him without knowing more.

he was pretty lame tonight trying to explain the issue with the elevator in the stadium too. but....til the end, with DCA you get what you don't pay for

• Like 1

For "all age" corps to survive, be enjoyable and extend their competitive season the answer is simple. That's right, KISS.

All age corps, have time limitations. Their members cannot take a month or two off work in order to produce shows that are reasonably in step with the juniors. The limited time available to create and teach a show is  extremely limited in all age corps. 

DCA needed to get everyone on the same page. Keep your shows simple and you will get rewarded by the judges and by the crowds.  Once upon a time, corps were able to start competing by the end of May because they did not perform spirograph drills, nor play difficult  music such as "Symphony by Bob the Instructor in 32nd Notes." 

Although this is a terrible example, it is for illustrative purposes only. It would be easier for the all age corps to perform a Bridgemen style show than a last place 2023 DCI "World" Class show. 

For those who might say that this is a dinosaur idea, consider the tune from the 2023 DCI Championships that everyone is talking about. A simple tune, played simply (and perfectly) without a spirograph drill. Of course, Blue Devils "Both Sides Now."

A couple of DCA examples where keeping it simple (drill wise) worked: Renegades, Brigadiers and Phoenix. 

Without simplicity, all age corps will simply continue the downward trend. Hopefully DCI will recognize that DCA corps should not be doing DCI shows but be something different at a level of excellence that can be accomplished in the time available. 

On 9/3/2023 at 6:55 PM, MikeD said:

As far as I can tell, there was no announcer's script at all, something that I greatly appreciated having when I announced US Bands and Norwin shows.

• Sad 1

On 9/3/2023 at 8:00 AM, cixelsyd said:

Not to mention the totally unprofessional treatment the alumni show is getting.  I could not believe that announcer yesterday basically saying on his way out "oh, I forgot, there is an alumni show tomorrow, and I am only telling you that much because numerous people complained".  He could not even tell us who would be performing - probably neither knows nor cares.

Let me Guess. His last name starts with a A ? 

20 hours ago, kevingamin said:

As far as I can tell, there was no announcer's script at all, something that I greatly appreciated having when I announced US Bands and Norwin shows.

That is what I was thinking. Before blaming the announcer those things are important to know.