Troopers harmonica

The system used doesn't pick up the harmonica sound and send it through the speakers. The system picks up the harmonica's vibrations and the system converts the vibrations into notes. I can't get any more specific than that because this is what I heard the corps person explain just before they did their show. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, oldsnare said:

The system used doesn't pick up the harmonica sound and send it through the speakers. The system picks up the harmonica's vibrations and the system converts the vibrations into notes. I can't get any more specific than that because this is what I heard the corps person explain just before they did their show. 

Same principle was the Yamaha YDS digital winds instruments.  

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

I believe they're referred to as a "Hot Harmonica" that utilizes a piezo transducer? Anyway, they were not breaking the rules as @cixelsyd stated.

If it was an amplified harmonica as previously stated, that would be a rule-bender.  But until that "if" gets sorted out, I will retract my jump-to-conclusion.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 7:25 PM, cixelsyd said:

If it was an amplified harmonica as previously stated, that would be a rule-bender.  But until that "if" gets sorted out, I will retract my jump-to-conclusion.

Ahhhh the piezo pickup. That thing converts vibration to electrical energy.  Except you’re still needing reeds to vibrate, which causes the metal housing the piezo is mounted to, to vibrate. 

there’s no vibration of anything in an ewi. Air flow is monitored to adjust volume.  But you can turn this function off and instead run the EWI through a guitar volume pedal. 

• Like 1

So… by this logic. A sax can be used in a pit, as long as it has a pickup collecting vibrations and not a mic.  There’s your IN if you ever wanted to add woodwinds.  Troopers opened the door.