Cadets "Stoned"

I saw someone mention this on a recent thread. I had heard of this show title being scrapped but wanted to know a little more. Does anyone have any insider knowledge on what the concept, repertoire or visual elements were going to be?

I want to make a YouTube series called "Marching Theory", a parody of the channel Game Theory, in which I come up with silly, good-natured conspiracy theories about DCI show themes and lore. Like for example, a theory that all the modern BAC shows are a connected storyline (but the real life chronological order in which they performed is NOT the order in which the events happen), or dark interpretations of light-hearted shows like the narrator of Riffs and Revelations dying in the car crash after the giant metal prop, and the rest of it is his final reflections on life before ascending to heaven. 

This is all just for fun, and I wanted to see if we have enough evidence of what Stoned was supposed to be so I can do a Marching Theory video speculating on the show's meaning and if it would have tied into other Cadets shows.

8 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

I saw someone mention this on a recent thread. I had heard of this show title being scrapped but wanted to know a little more. Does anyone have any insider knowledge on what the concept, repertoire or visual elements were going to be?

I want to make a YouTube series called "Marching Theory", a parody of the channel Game Theory, in which I come up with silly, good-natured conspiracy theories about DCI show themes and lore. Like for example, a theory that all the modern BAC shows are a connected storyline (but the real life chronological order in which they performed is NOT the order in which the events happen), or dark interpretations of light-hearted shows like the narrator of Riffs and Revelations dying in the car crash after the giant metal prop, and the rest of it is his final reflections on life before ascending to heaven. 

This is all just for fun, and I wanted to see if we have enough evidence of what Stoned was supposed to be so I can do a Marching Theory video speculating on the show's meaning and if it would have tied into other Cadets shows.

That was the original name for the 2016 show. Hopkins liked to throw out names and then change them before the first show.
To my knowledge the rep, show, and etc was all the same

I also cannot confirm anything about the BAC rumor. I have heard that theory a few times from my staff but nothing ever elaborated on or confirmed by anyone like Keith. 

Edited by fighterkit

1 minute ago, fighterkit said:

That was the original name for the 2016 show. Hopkins liked to throw out names and then change them before the first show.
To my knowledge the rep, show, and etc was all the same

I also cannot confirm anything about the BAC rumor. I have heard that theory a few times from my staff but nothing ever elaborated on or confirmed by anyone like Keith. 

Wait, I'm not the first person to think of the BAC thing? 😮 That is so cool! 

If all the stuff for 2016 was the same, that would be a boring video...anyone know of any other shows that were planned but never saw the light of day?

Just now, Orwellian Wiress said:

Wait, I'm not the first person to think of the BAC thing? 😮 That is so cool! 

If all the stuff for 2016 was the same, that would be a boring video...anyone know of any other shows that were planned but never saw the light of day?

It was something that I had heard in 21 and mentioned a few times here on DCP. 

I had heard rumors that Cadets planned a pearl harbor show one year but scrapped it. A sunday in the park with George show and scrapped it. 
SCV 14 was supposed to be a circus show. 
Theres a litany of shows in 2020 that were supposed to be performed but never did. I know Boston had a show planned that will never see the light of day. Thankfully

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

I had heard rumors that Cadets planned a pearl harbor show one year but scrapped it. A sunday in the park with George show and scrapped it. 

Okay now the Pearl Harbor one is REALLY interesting to think about how they would go about that and try to do it in a tasteful way. Cadets did that one show where the prop was just one bridge and there were US president speeches, right? Maybe that's what became of Pearl Harbor Show? That one always gave me a weird vibe and not in the trippy dream way. 

Also, what is "Sunday in the park with George"? I've heard that phrase thrown around here from time to time

Edited by Orwellian Wiress

7 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

Okay now the Pearl Harbor one is REALLY interesting to think about how they would go about that and try to do it in a tasteful way. Cadets did that one show where the prop was just one bridge and there were US president speeches, right? Maybe that's what became of Pearl Harbor Show? That one always gave me a weird vibe and not in the trippy dream way. 

Also, what is "Sunday in the park with George"? I've heard that phrase thrown around here from time to time

An early 80s musical by Stephen Sondheim 🙂

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Thanks 1

It's simple. The name was changed from "Stoned" to "Awakening" because of the association "stoned" has with drugs. The name change, to my knowledge, did not change a single thing about the show. It was just a title change.

Personally, I thought "Stoned" was a better title, and it's ok for words to have more than one meaning.

Edited by Vuitton
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

It's simple. The name was changed from "Stoned" to "Awakening" because of the association "stoned" has with drugs. The name change, to my knowledge, did not change a single thing about the show. It was just a title change.

Personally, I thought "Stoned" was a better title, and it's ok for words to have more than one meaning.

This is what I recall as well. 

• Like 1