CA Department of Justice sends Vanguard second delinquency notice as of Aug 25, 2023

3 minutes ago, Hirsbrunner said:

Both things can be true at the same time. I think the BOD is downright terrible at what they do and there should be consequences for their mismanagement. There is substance in the content and documentation within his posts that are valuable. 

It doesn’t justify the routine online harassment of various people who aren’t in decision making positions, the threatening to dox dissenters, and the aggrandizing self-insertion.

Between what he posts here and multiple times daily on various alumni pages, he routinely crosses the line between simply trying to hold the BOD accountable, and doing anything and everything to personally burn down the organization and tear down whoever gets remotely in the way. 

Between what he posts here and multiple times daily on various alumni pages, he routinely crosses the line between simply trying to hold the BOD accountable, and doing anything and everything to personally burn down the organization and tear down whoever gets remotely in the way.

Such as what in particular? Is there anything that folks he mentions can do to prove they are helping correct the problems?  What would it take to get the BOD to make corrections and be compliant?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Such as what in particular? Is there anything that folks he mentions can do to prove they are helping correct the problems?  What would it take to get the BOD to make corrections and be compliant?

An act of congress at this point...

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

And it risks diversifying ourselves out of drum corps.

Speaking candidly, the real reason drum corps non-profits become "performing arts" organizations is because they identify something in it that makes the drum corps more sustainable.  Maybe they lost their community visibility when they became a touring ensemble of global recruits.  Maybe they saw the benefit of a full-time year-round director, but needed more off-season programs to justify making CEO a year-round paid position.  Often, it is simply money... more donors, more grants, or other programs that actually make money instead of costing money.

I don't disagree in part.  There is definite financial risk in diversifying and some of that is how quickly you grow and expand that programming.  As a grant writer I urge nonprofits NOT to seek out a grant you don't have an existing program for unless you are pursuing R&D and seed awards for well developed programming plans.  I can't tell you how many times I have had someone come to me with a grant opportunity we would have to create a program for.  No thank you.  That's how you over extend your future revenue and personnel and risk running afoul of your grant award requirements.  I could go way down a rabbit hole about grant writing in this activity but it would be a huge non-sequitur. 

What came first the full time director/CEO or more expensive/expansive programming?  That's a chicken/egg question I guess.  But yeah, when you have orgs pulling in Millions (and also spending Millions) the responsibilities of the CEO to create and maintain revenue earning relationships definitely becomes a full time responsibility.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Reggi93 said:

I don't disagree in part.  There is definite financial risk in diversifying and some of that is how quickly you grow and expand that programming.  As a grant writer I urge nonprofits NOT to seek out a grant you don't have an existing program for unless you are pursuing R&D and seed awards for well developed programming plans.  I can't tell you how many times I have had someone come to me with a grant opportunity we would have to create a program for.  No thank you.  That's how you over extend your future revenue and personnel and risk running afoul of your grant award requirements.  I could go way down a rabbit hole about grant writing in this activity but it would be a huge non-sequitur. 

What came first the full time director/CEO or more expensive/expansive programming?  That's a chicken/egg question I guess.  But yeah, when you have orgs pulling in Millions (and also spending Millions) the responsibilities of the CEO to create and maintain revenue earning relationships definitely becomes a full time responsibility.  

This person nonprofits. :babies:

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

In this thread earlier he threatened to dox and expose an anonymous poster (whom I am routinely not in agreement with myself).

I don’t like reposting too much what of what is said privately in other forums.

What I will say is that he has been tame here on DCP in comparison, and individuals who have nothing to do with current decision making/problems have been dragged through his mud in an effort to dig any and all potential dirt. Warranted or not.

I don’t know enough about the logistics to know the answer to your last question. But I do find it amusing because irrespective of all the noise being made, one of three things are only likely to happen:

1. The BOD ignores the situation and gets everything together on its own, eventually bringing the corps back. They really don’t care enough to address this publicly for a while. They should but they don’t. 

2. DCI steps in soon (not likely)

3. SCV just stays folded. 

I don’t say this to be dismissive about these topics, they can and should be talked about. But the org is just going to trudge on or not. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Hirsbrunner said:

In this thread earlier he threatened to dox and expose an anonymous poster (whom I am routinely not in agreement with myself).

I don’t like reposting too much what of what is said privately in other forums.

What I will say is that he has been tame here on DCP in comparison, and individuals who have nothing to do with current decision making/problems have been dragged through his mud in an effort to dig any and all potential dirt. Warranted or not.

I don’t know enough about the logistics to know the answer to your last question. But I do find it amusing because irrespective of all the noise being made, one of three things are only likely to happen:

1. The BOD ignores the situation and gets everything together on its own, eventually bringing the corps back. They really don’t care enough to address this publicly for a while. They should but they don’t. 

2. DCI steps in soon (not likely)

3. SCV just stays folded. 

I don’t say this to be dismissive about these topics, they can and should be talked about. But the org is just going to trudge on or not. 

So why bring problems from outside of DCP onto DCP? Sounds like you should have taken those problems up with him in the other forums that the problems have occurred.

13 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

This person nonprofits. :babies:

I do yes! 🤣🤣🤣

• Thanks 1

Most here can probably agree about that in-fighting is on display here and that it's likely worse behind closed doors and closed social media groups.

I have used mediation services in the past in nonprofit settings, and I directly offered this idea to VMAPA leadership earlier this year. For the sake of, idk, just hope at this point, this is the kind of service is what I was thinking about (although this exact example in the Bay Area is backlogged, there are so many others out there:)

https://www.seedscrc.org/community-mediation

31 minutes ago, Grandpa Joe said:

An act of congress at this point...

or at least the DCI BOD

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

or at least the DCI BOD

The DCI Board and/or Membership will vote on allowing SCV back on tour for next year (or not) at the September meetings, if they request to be part of the tour.  Those voting will no doubt ask a lot of questions and require verified info before making a decision. 

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1