Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

21 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

I can’t wait to see what this design team has come up with after an extra year of planning. 

Doubt they were planning a show.  Most were probably involved with the corps who were paying them to write.

• Like 1

Downplaying critical voices is the exact opposite of how nonprofits should be run or regarded by the public. In my and others' cases, this downplaying has metastasized to the point were some of us feel less safe in our homes and online. Thanks "fellow alum" from "our family." While I'm criticizing the org, doing my best to leave names out of it, some alum are actually attacking public, named individuals, some of us victims of organizational abuse at Vanguard. Kudos. 👍🏽

Dissent is a key ingredient in how public nonprofit oversight is supposed to work. I find it eerily reminiscent of my marching days that so many apologists for VMAPA rush to their side, continue to pull the wool over their eyes, and remain quick to silence valid concerns that challenge them. They're rushing to the side that has more power and will survive this (I firmly believe this,) rather than the powerless side that has little actual chance of having their valid concerns addressed or of influencing change for the better. That is, if we're still identifying and choosing sides. Despite my proclivity to dissent, I still advocate for the betterment of the organization because again, dissent is a critical tool in doing so in healthy orgs. I actually am still on Team Vanguard... it's just been made clear that I'm (and other qualified professionals are) not wanted time and time again by the "family," likely because the family still doesn't understand the constructive role of dissent. Even as adults. Too busy idolizing their patches, rings, and JONZ Showcase ###### paraphernalia I'd wager.

The following was produced by Santa Clara University on the role of dissent in nonprofit board governance. I posit that extending its premise to include stakeholder dissent is also necessary and crucial in VMAPA's case, as I have gotten no sense (in my direct interactions with this BOD) that dissent or disagreement plays the critical role it should be in healthy nonprofit governance. Instead they have all the signs of siloing and diminishing their numbers for the last several years.

Take the recent instance of the BOD treasurer leaving as just one example.

https://www.scu.edu/ethics/all-about-ethics/dissent--a-missing-ingredient-in-nonprofit-governance/

Lacking outside pressures brought by elected status, boards can be plagued by groupthink and congeniality rather than deliberative discourse, including disagreements.

Nonprofits are delineated by the break they receive on institutional taxes and the tax break they offer individuals donating to support them. That advantage is conferred on them because their mission serves a specific public benefit. Commitment to mission is essential, therefore, since the mission represents the contract the nonprofit has made with the government to receive the tax break for itself and its donors. If there is no ongoing debate about mission integrity, the organization cannot fulfill its part of the contract.

Now that my dissenting voice is added, among the many already here, let's see how long this thread lasts. I predict that the nature of the apologists' arguments will descend into personal attacks as they always do.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

If you are going to visit the Mouse; Knotts Berry Farm down the street is excellent if you like roller coasters.  

i don't LOL. i'm going because it's cheaper than divorce. Plus for my daughter Land has more characters she likes than World...and for me, far more Star Wars characters. I mean Mando, Grogu, Boba, Fennic Shand, Rey, Chewie, and now Ahsoka, Hera and Chopper!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Downplaying critical voices is the exact opposite of how nonprofits should be run or regarded by the public. In my and others' cases, this downplaying has metastasized to the point were some of us feel less safe in our homes and online. Thanks "fellow alum" from "our family." While I'm criticizing the org, doing my best to leave names out of it, some alum are actually attacking public, named individuals, some of us victims of organizational abuse at Vanguard. Kudos. 👍🏽

Dissent is a key ingredient in how public nonprofit oversight is supposed to work. I find it eerily reminiscent of my marching days that so many apologists for VMAPA rush to their side, continue to pull the wool over their eyes, and remain quick to silence valid concerns that challenge them. They're rushing to the side that has more power and will survive this (I firmly believe this,) rather than the powerless side that has little actual chance of having their valid concerns addressed or of influencing change for the better. That is, if we're still identifying and choosing sides. Despite my proclivity to dissent, I still advocate for the betterment of the organization because again, dissent is a critical tool in doing so in healthy orgs. I actually am still on Team Vanguard... it's just been made clear that I'm (and other qualified professionals are) not wanted time and time again by the "family," likely because the family still doesn't understand the constructive role of dissent. Even as adults. Too busy idolizing their patches, rings, and JONZ Showcase ###### paraphernalia I'd wager.

The following was produced by Santa Clara University on the role of dissent in nonprofit board governance. I posit that extending its premise to include stakeholder dissent is also necessary and crucial in VMAPA's case, as I have gotten no sense (in my direct interactions with this BOD) that dissent or disagreement plays the critical role it should be in healthy nonprofit governance. Instead they have all the signs of siloing and diminishing their numbers for the last several years.

https://www.scu.edu/ethics/all-about-ethics/dissent--a-missing-ingredient-in-nonprofit-governance/

Now that my dissenting voice is added, among the many already here, let's see how long this thread lasts. I predict that the nature of the apologists' arguments will descend into personal attacks as they always do.

speaking of dissent, i've been told by a few people social media comments viewed as not sunshine and roses have been deleted

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, TOC said:

Doubt they were planning a show.  Most were probably involved with the corps who were paying them to write.

Some were definitely still on the payroll all year. 

13 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

Some were definitely still on the payroll all year. 

Would putting someone on payroll, paying them using bingo profits, and then that individual ‘donating’ large sums which, as donations, could be legally used to pay bingo employees work?   Or is this a form of money laundering?

Not for a second suggesting this happened.  Just curious if this would work.  

45 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

This post is off topic and needs to removed. Using every tread to promote your agenda needs to be sopped.

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, dcifanforlife said:

This post is off topic and needs to removed. Using every tread to promote your agenda needs to be sopped.

It's entirely on topic. You are free to ignore it if you wish, but trying to silence people that speak out against an organization's missteps, especially when that organization has continued to stonewall people and maintain a culture of silence, is only detrimental to the organization. 

Embrace strict oversight of VMAPA, it's the only thing that will hold the current board accountable.

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1